Thread: 300 wby for brownies??

Default 300 wby for brownies??

I am a bowhunter and no into rifle at all.... however I won a wby 300 at a raffle so I own one rifle. I am heading to AK in April for a spring bear hunt. The guide sais he has a 338 and 375 so I could use one of his if I wish. I'm a little concearned with using a guides rifle. On our Yukon moose hunt my dad grabed the guides rifle on the last day and put a poor shot into his moose [did recover] back at camp found the rifle was off by several feet at 100yds..

Whats your thoughts? can I shoot enuff load out of my wby 300? or should I opt to use one of the guides bigguns?

Your 300 WBY will do just fine. Though some may not see it as their "top choice" there is certainly nothing wrong with it. My personal opinion would be to find a 200 grain factory load (since I'm assuming you aren't going to reload) with a premium bullet ie, Nosler Accubond or Partition, Swift A Frame, Barnes, Trohy Bonded etc and you'll be fine.

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    Your 300 WBY will do just fine. Though some may not see it as their "top choice" there is certainly nothing wrong with it. My personal opinion would be to find a 200 grain factory load (since I'm assuming you aren't going to reload) with a premium bullet ie, Nosler Accubond or Partition, Swift A Frame, Barnes, Trohy Bonded etc and you'll be fine.
    With 200 grn. or larger premium bullets and practice your not under- gunned. Just don't put TOO much glass on the rifle and be sure you have adequate eye relief.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Don't overlook the 220gr RN load from Weatherby either.

Weatherby factory ammo has several suitable loads for brown bears from 180gr on up to 220gr.

A friend just shot his first brown bear with his .300 Winchester Mag, with 180gr TSX factory loads. Dead bear, no tracking required.

Your Weatherby will be just fine.