Thread: 375 ruger again bad dies? Help please

Unhappy 375 ruger again bad dies? Help please

My round of reloading the other day I only neck sized and didnt use the full length die in the redding set I got. I just started off this morning trying the full length die. The brass absolutley will go more than 2/3 up into the die I tried my once reloaded brass and once fired brass. The die has the correct 375 Ruger markings on it. Am I missing something here? I tried running one thru the neck sizer first then the full lenght but still the same thing. I almost got it stuck in the die.

Lube the cases and then lube them again! These cases are hard to resize. Maybe the chambers are a little large and the dies slightly small. But I found out if they are not properly lubed they are a pita to resize.
    Tennessee

PS: If it makes you feel any better about 20 minutes after typing this I stuck a case inside the die doing the same thing! And I should of bought a stuck case remover thingie cause my attemtps to drill it and pry it out are failing ,lol
    Tennessee

I agree with Snowolfe; lube them up. The best lubricant I've ever used for this is Imperial Sizing Wax. A little goes a long ways. It's the best stuff out there.

After I try resizing a few on the lube pad and experience difficulty I remember to use Imperial and apply it by hand. But for some reason with this case it is very important to make sure the inside of the neck is lubed as well. At least for me, this is where I seem to have the most problems.

A little heat with the torch and the case fell right out
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    PS: If it makes you feel any better about 20 minutes after typing this I stuck a case inside the die doing the same thing! And I should of bought a stuck case remover thingie cause my attemtps to drill it and pry it out are failing ,lol
    I did that but got it out by leaving it in the press and cranking the die out with a pair of channel locks. I have never had a problem like this before with rcbs or hornady dies. What brand dies do you have? I thinks it really a bit too tight ill try to call redding service department to gwt some info. Ill let you know what they say Ill call tomarrow. or maybe I can gewt them to awnser an email.

I have Reddings as well. But the cases do size easily if they get a nice coating of Imperial with a tiny bit in the neck.
    Perhaps Murphy will chime in as he has a good deal of experience with this round.
    Tennessee

Thumbs down Now its done for

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Well I gave it another shot with about a half a bottle of lube. I gave it a good shove and the same thing 2/3 way in Now its got brass stuck in it for good. I just emailed redding they are in new york. I f they dont email me by noon I ll call them. maybe ill call them anyways. I told them I expext to be able to send the bad die freight collect and recieve a new one in the mail free. And said if they wont to that then ill send the whole set back for refund from the place of purchase and buy a different brand. Im posotive this die didnt get milled right.

Question redding.

Redding emailed me back and said I didnt clean out the die when I got it. I did dissasmble it and hose it out with break free and pulled a towel thru till it was dry beforre using it.. They said I could send it to them with some of my brass and they will unstick the case and get it working properly. Shouldnt they just send me a new one?

My experience has been redding makes the best dies of the major manufacturers. It's hard to say why the case is getting hung up w/o looking at the die.

The only thing I can think of is you have a mismarked 375 H&H die and are trying to run the larger dia 375 ruger case into the die, that would explain it hanging up ~2/3 way in the case. I'd suggest measuring the dia of the base of the die, but that's pretty tough with a case stuck in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Redding emailed me back and said I didnt clean out the die when I got it. I did dissasmble it and hose it out with break free and pulled a towel thru till it was dry beforre using it.. They said I could send it to them with some of my brass and they will unstick the case and get it working properly. Shouldnt they just send me a new one?
    Redding is tops when it comes to making dies. From the sound of your post Redding is going to make this right. Sending you another new die is not a guaranteed fix. By sending them your die set they can check the specs and make certain all is well with their product and ascertain what the issue is. If it is out of spec they will send you a new one, but if that is not the problem sending you a new die will just add to your grief since it will not fix the problem. Personally, I'd get the dies in the mail ASAP and see what Redding says.

IME dies are usually closer to spec than chambers.

Redding will make it right, they are a good company, though I cant figure out why they dont put vent holes in their sizing dies like RCBS.

The only reason for vent holes is if you use excessive amounts of sizing lube. I use a light application of imperial sizing die wax to the body of cases and seldom have problems with denting shoulders. A shot of brake cleaner in the die body does wonders to remove any gunk. I also like to chuck new dies in the lathe, spin them up and put in a cleaning patch with some flitz or simi-chrome to polish them up. You can do the same thing with a drill press and a split 1/4" rod to spin the patch.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't know nuthin about the cartridge you're sizing, but my first thought is what kind of press are you using, because you need a heavy one that doesn't flex, for a "hard to size" case.

AND, lube needs to be on the BASE of the case.

Howsomever, it is quite possible that you have a bad die. I had one from Hornady.

When I told the guy that the neck of a case I removed was sized .002 smaller than with my RCBS die, he bristled up, and said THAT coudn't cause the problem. They fixed it, grudgingly, and wouldn't tell me what the problem was. Go figure.

I suspect it was not the correct inside dimensions, or was not polished. It would stick cases EVERY TIME, regardless of lube, etc.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.