Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Mt Goat...guess the size...

Default Kodiak Mt Goat...guess the size...

Client shot this goat on kodiak the other day and i was a bit off on the size. but i never said a size, but in my head i had a number and he wasn't it. So i might have guessed high and i might have guessed low...but lets here some estimations on this thing...251 yards, .300 RUM, one shot, goat died in his bed...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Nice

That's a nice goat and a cool pic. I'll try 8 1/2 ".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Nice goat!.... 9 5/8.

I'd have to say 8&3/8 since my first though was 8&1/2 and that guess is already taken. The body doesn't look big enough to be a fully mature billy. Nice looking goat though!

Edit>>yeah, that goat is a bit out in front of that hunter. We could be deceived with this one....he's probably in the low to mid 8's.

Still a great goat.

Default guess

I'm also in the 8 crowd, 8 1/4", 4-5 1/2yrs old. My wife shot a 9 1/2 yr old billie this year that only went 8 1/4. His body was huge!

That's a great photo. Gives you a great idea of the elevation & terrain you find these goats. I'd say 8 and 1/4 inches. IMO just harvesting a goat is reason to celebrate.....beautiful animal.

BigHorse beat me to it....I type too slow.

lol i'm gonna let the guesses keep coming in, no ones got it yet...i'm startin' to feel better about my guess now! thanks
    clients sittin' right up against the goat, i'm back a bit though.
    Master guide 212

Talking

Nice clean goat! I'd guess around 9"-91/8"...give or take a couple(?).
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Since nobody's gotten it yet...

I'm going to go low-ball and say less than 8. Say 7-3/4".

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I would guess.....but that would be cheating Going in not knowing I'd would have said 8.25 to 8.5. Nice goat regardless

congrats to GREG!! 7.75" goat, with 5.5" bases, 2 year old goat. his mass made me think mid 8" range and umm he wasn't! goats are tough to judge, he had about five other goats with him and he was bigger than them and the dominate goat so that made him look even better..client was thrilled with him, but i was a little bummed that my inital guess was to high. ahh well, i bleed red.
    Master guide 212

Default Super

That one will eat very well. Two years.......cool. My 4yr old guess accounted for some small rings below the fur. I sure wish I would have shot a 2yr old billie on my solo hunt this year instead of the 4 yr old nanny. That was fun guessing, thanks.

He'd of been a whopper, given a few more years. Without the hunter behind him I would have called it a bit bigger than 7.75". My first thought was 8".

I put a client on an animal this year that I thought would be lucky to break 8.5" (the guy would have been happy with anything at this point). After the shot when I climbed up to it the horns got larger and all said went 9 and 3/8. That is the kind you like but every now and then you get the other.

Just goes to show that it is best to keep any specific numbers to yourself!

A very young goat. I always look for a Billy with horns as long as his face. Or don't shoot them. That is the best field judging indicator that I have found.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I am not a huge fan of the bloody trophy photos that are all too common when hunting these white mountain beasts. Mine is a perfect example this year as it was a bloody mess after rolling down a couple hundred feet of shale. I will say that the blood stain in the beard of the billy looks really cool though!

PolarisBlake shot a similare goat to that one and I would be a lying if I told you I had any idea how big it was. It was skylined on a promontory and didn't leave anything but vast blue sky and the sun to compare it too as it was staring at us. The only reason we could even tell it was a billy was from the spotting scope review at over a mile.

Default Body size, horns, age don't seem to line up all the time

I saw three goats on the ground this year: one was 4 years old, mine was 5 years old, and one was 9 years old, all billies. The horn lengths were (I think) 8.25", 9.125", and 9.625", in that order. It didn't seem like that extra year should have made such a difference for my goat. The animal size was even more out of whack. My 5-year old was pretty much identical in size to my buddy's 9yo, maybe even a touch bulkier. The other 4yo was way smaller; it yielded about half the weight of meat as did mine. The 4yo was in a completely different area from the other two. But I was still surprised that my goat was so much closer in age to the younger billy, but closer in size and horn length to the old geyser.

But yeah, I don't have too much knowledge on judging goat horn length. I just low-balled because nobody had gone there yet. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket today...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

oh ya a young goat for sure, not sure anyone would think 2 years old was an "old goat" by any stretch. i've never shot a goat with horns as long as his face, seems the goats i've seen stay pretty proportionate to their heads, ears are one thing that seems to be pretty standard, double the ears is a good goat...usually.
    but since goat size is all based off body proportions and as some have stated body sizes vary wildly, there will be times when goats are bigger or smaller than one would guess. same with bears. easy to tell monsters or yearlings but in the inbetween stuff sometimes gets hit or miss.
    Master guide 212

I think that is a nice looking billy. Young, but well proportioned and handsome. My limited experience goat hunting has led me to believe that goats are a tough animal to evaluate in the field, but then again I could use more practice.

Jake, your client looks happy and I'm glad you guys had a good hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast