Thread: Chakachatna River?

Default Chakachatna River?

I was wondering if anyone has ran the Chakachatna River or McArthur River on the west side of the inlet?

I have been able to find very little on these two rivers and would like to see any pictures, video, or hear any first hand accounts.

Thanks!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has ran the Chakachatna River or McArthur River on the west side of the inlet?

I have been able to find very little on these two rivers and would like to see any pictures, video, or hear any first hand accounts.

Thanks!
    I believe its listed in my fast and cold book, but its at home and Im at work

When are we going?

Default Chakachatna

class VI, ALMOST CERTAIN DEATH

Exclamation Info on the Chakachatna River

We could go on and on, but I'll summarize from Dr. Embick's concise bit of prose on the Chakachatna:

"The Chakachatna is one of the most horrendously difficult rivers in Alaska, or even the continent. Very big in volume and very steep in gradient, it exceeds the Susitna's Devil's Canyon as a challenge. At any normal flows, it is pure white for miles, with absolutely continuous violent whitewater bank to bank, no sneak routes, no letup, and generally no escape." (excerpted from "Fast & Cold a Guide to Alaska Whitewater" by Andrew Embick.

Embick should know; he ran it in 1990 with a friend of mine named Chris Roach. I believe this was the first and only descent of the river and even then they portaged ten hours through a horrific alder jungle to get around the worst five miles of the float, dragging their kayaks behind them. They took out by paddling across Cook Inlet about 29 miles, ending up somewhere north of Kenai.

Sorry, I don't have anything on the McArthur.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Lightbulb Chakachatna & McArthur River

These accounts are a little misleading... at best, they got in there and did not really run it!

No one has a true account of running the river. The real story behind Embick's pursuit is a hike out with a few ferry angles thrown in on all but the easiest stretches.

This would be like telling an account of running the Newhalen River, yet downplaying a portage of the Gorge sections.

I looked at this river many times in the 1990's to about 2003 from the air and saw that (at the time) tho' skills and judgments... even doable logistics could be on our side --- technology/evolution of whitewater rafting/kayaking was surely not. That is exactly what Embick & Roach found out in an 'attempt' once on the ground.

Read into the run all ya want... they did not run the Chakachatna... they hiked it (to their credit) through twisted alder and rugged terrain that would make most endurance nuts and military special forces cry.

The McArthur River is a popular (very good) fishing hole and has been so for some time with the exceptions of years when the hole+sandbar becomes non-existent.

Well I guess that sums up why there is so little about this river on the internet. Thanks for the info guys sounds like one heck of a river to see.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Chakachatna was run in 1991

1991 The Chakachatna River was kayaked From Top To Bottom With No Portages.
    In the spring of 1991 Rob Lesser,Tom Schibig, Britt Gentery and a local Alaska Kayaker ran the Chakachatna River
    from Lake Chakachamna to the confluence of the McArthur. No portages were made and everything was run.
    The pilot that did the flying was Master Guide Dave Leonard who had dropped off the team on a sand bar on Lake Chakachamna and picked up the team on a sand bar near the Confluence of the Mcaurther and Chakachatna River.
    Prior to the successful run by Rob Lesser's team 3 unsuccessful attempts had been made.
    One of the unsuccessful attempts was the one by Andy Embeck and Chris Roach it is talked of in Embeck's Book Cold & Fast.
    The first 2 attempts on the Chakachatna River were made by one of the Kayakers on Rob Lesser's team had tried to run the river in 1988 and 1989 But had portaged the hardest parts and did not claim to have made a successful run because of the 1.5 mile portage.
    The description in embecks book has unfortunately scared away people for years and that is sad as this is a world class river.
    Chakachatna Is a class V river and in my opinion is a river that deserves to be run and enjoyed by expert boaters providing they hit it at the right
    water level and have the skill necessary.
    This river is on a Par with the Susitna through Devils Canyon.

Jerry