Thread: Chakachatna River?

Default Chakachatna River?

I was wondering if anyone has ran the Chakachatna River or McArthur River on the west side of the inlet?

I have been able to find very little on these two rivers and would like to see any pictures, video, or hear any first hand accounts.

Thanks!
    Last edited by broncoformudv; 10-21-2009 at 09:15. Reason: typo
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Embicks guide

If you are talking the one in his guide,NOT A GOOD IDEA. Class VI

Thanks markoathout, I do need to get a copy of Embicks book.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Run this river!

Andy's book is a fantastic reference and extremely accurate 99% of the time. unfortunately in the case of this river his book is way
    off base and in my opinion he let his ego get in the way of the true story.

1st known kayak attempt from the lake down was a solo run in the spring of 1988 a 2.5 mil portage was made around the hardest part but everything else was run.

2nd known Attempt was made early spring of 1989 a 1.5 mile portage was made.

Andy's attempt was the third known attempt and as also a spring attempt with at least a 3 mile portage The water was high because of the recent volcanic eruptions. The ash had caused melting to happen faster that year and the water was high. Read his book for an account of what this river is like at high water.

A few years after Andy's attempt A team of 4 or 5 kayakers led by Rob Lesser made the first run from the lake down with no portages and no problems. It was filmed by Brit Gentry one of the team members.

This is a Class V river and is on a par with the Devils Canyon run and is one of Alaska's extremely challenging rivers. Unfortunately Andy's book has scared people away from this river. It is too bad as this river should have become a classic river for world class boaters long ago and perhaps it still will. The scenery is spectacular and the whitewater is well take a look for your self.

Thumbs up Pretty much what I said in the Rafting forum

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=65880

I will relate you are correct here... ego and all, an 'attempt' was sorta shot in the dark made regarding the account most often read or passed around a riverside campfire.

Couple things to consider nowadays are:
    a.) ever increasing abilities of individual paddlers pushing the paddle-sports
    b.) more experienced in-sync paddler teams pushing the sport w/ more compatible skill/judgment
    c.) technology progressions in gear
    d.) better transportation logistics/options (less exploratory tripping... better obtainable info with scouting, mapping, digital pictures, gps, etc.)
    e.) spot-on weather (even cams. like Lake Clark Pass and such) for go or no-go.... nice if you are trending the water levels.

To 'Cold/Fast' credit... all of this is demanding back-country and very difficult whether you trek it out or attempt to paddle the run portage/no-portage.

1991 The Chakachatna River was kayaked From Top To Bottom With No Portages.
    In the spring of 1991 Rob Lesser,Tom Schibig, Britt Gentery and a local Alaska Kayaker ran the Chakachatna River
    from Lake Chakachamna to the confluence of the McArthur. No portages were made and everything was run.
    The pilot that did the flying was Master Guide Dave Leonard who had dropped off the team on a sand bar on Lake Chakachamna and picked up the team on a sand bar near the Confluence of the Mcaurther and Chakachatna River.
    Prior to the successful run by Rob Lesser's team 3 unsuccessful attempts had been made.
    One of the unsuccessful attempts was the one by Andy Embeck and Chris Roach it is talked of in Embeck's Book Cold & Fast.
    The first 2 attempts on the Chakachatna River were made by one of the Kayakers on Rob Lesser's team had tried to run the river in 1988 and 1989 But had portaged the hardest parts and did not claim to have made a successful run because of the 1.5 mile portage.
    The description in embecks book has unfortunately scared away people for years and that is sad as this is a world class river.
    Chakachatna Is a class V river and in my opinion is a river that deserves to be run and enjoyed by expert boaters providing they hit it at the right
    water level and have the skill necessary to run hard class 5 water.
    This river is on a Par with the Susitna through Devils Canyon.

Jerry

Default Thread Hijack

Jerry,

I am sorry to hijack this thread but could you give me another phone number for Ace Dube. I have tried to get a hold of him several times by email and phone and can never connect.

Are you Alaskan based again?

please PM me.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Kennedy
    Fairbanks

Hi Tom

I am Deployed in Afghanistan but I hope to be home in Alaska soon.

Jerry

Default Keep safe...

Well, Jerry if there was anybody who would come back with Osama Bin Ladin's head in a burlap sack it would be you....grin...
    stay safe.

Sincerely,
    Thomas