Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Tags Cow Moose with Antlers!

Smile Hunter Tags Cow Moose with Antlers!

Can you believe Fish and Feathers gave him a warning for killing a cow!

http://www.adn.com/3437/story/980071.html

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I talked to the hunter in Ketchikan a couple weeks ago, he was on his way home to POW and he told me about the incident. He made it sound like ADFG definitely hasseled him trying to confiscate the moose.

I once shot a cow Bou with double shovels. Don't know if that is common. If you see antlers on a moose, most would think it is a bull and pull the trigger if legal.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Since a "warning" amounts to a legal "Were doing nothing" I am glad they didnt strech this one out on 'em.

Bet the trooper went home happy he had done "Something"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Troopers wanted the whole moose, but after much discussion they agreed to take just the antler so they could run some tests on it. They said they would ship it to him after they finished testing it. Right!

Default Bogus

A cow moose with antlers; is a bull for all real purposes. AS a cow with antlers won't breed due to a hormonal imbalance.
    SO, it's not like she was going to ever have another calf anyway.
    Just the Possum Cops hasseling an honest hunter !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

this happened in nome a few years back, f+g told hunters not to shoot it....it was a forkhorn i think, and it had a calf.

Release Lake Trout

brav01,
    How common is this? Never heard of this before.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Could Be

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    this happened in nome a few years back, f+g told hunters not to shoot it....it was a forkhorn i think, and it had a calf.
    BUT, did she have antlers when she breed? The norm is females of the deer species (other than the reindeer family) don't breed once they develope antlers.
    I wasn't there.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

How is there any legal question here? The regs only differentiate between antlered and antlerless.

A cow with legal antlers for that area is fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    How is there any legal question here? The regs only differentiate between antlered and antlerless.

That was the argument the hunter from POW made to AF&G so they let him keep the meat when they wanted to take it all.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    A cow moose with antlers; is a bull for all real purposes. AS a cow with antlers won't breed due to a hormonal imbalance.
    SO, it's not like she was going to ever have another calf anyway.
    Just the Possum Cops hasseling an honest hunter !!

don't know that i agree with that... ex # 2 had four kids before she admited she was a bull
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    don't know that i agree with that... ex # 2 had four kids before she admited she was a bull
    Wow! ............................................I decided not to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post

Actually, that is incorrect.

The regulations state that

"In bag limit, "moose" means an animal of either sex; "bull" means a male moose."

Antlers don't make a moose a male.

I think it was was a little stretch, but not totally inappropriate to give the hunter a "warning". Technically, it was not a legal kill so he could have been cited, so just getting a warning was a better result from what COULD have happened. It appears as though they realized, logically, that it was unreasonable for him to figure that this was not a bull, and was not given the citation.

About 20 years ago I was sitting on my raft while my partner was checking out a pond, and this moose came running out with what looked like 16" spikes on both sides. A little taken aback I watched it til it got to the rivers edge,( wondering wether it was a freak of nature) and decided to drop it. It was about a 4 year old bull, but I could have swore it was a cow by the way it walked.

It was 3' from the waters edge and was a good eating moose.

Default Ok...

So now we need to haul the sheep spotting scope along so we can get a good look at both ends of the moose to determine if it is legal...and I thought counting brow tines was tough! I'm glad this turned out well for the hunter. I am sure he did not realize he was shooting a cow when he pulled the trigger and he did take evidence to Fish and Game...in my opinion he did the right thing.

I hunted in Colorado with a guy who had a deer tag. He went out the day before elk season started (if I recall correctly) and came back with a deer in the velvet. It turned out to be a doe with antlers. She was in velvet and F&G said that it's rare but does happen. On a side note, they didn't issue him any warnings

Talking what???

Well I'll be. Never heard of that in 44 years in Alaska. I thought humans were the only species that made the switch....

Default Alaska Regs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    What did the AK State Regs say regarding this incident? Did you a get a warning for not seeing the signs before you tagged her?

All joking aside, I don't see the harm in just letting this go. What are the odds that hunters are going to target cow moose with horns...knowing that they are cows? Sounds like the F&G was covering their tails with this... Pointless really.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast