Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha doin' next??

Default Whatcha doin' next??

What to Hunt next has been a day long conversation in our shop
    Were freezing up , again here, and its cold enough to be "for good" this time.
    These days are spent getting traps ready .I wasnt in the groove this time last year, 1/2 moved back over here, but my stuff is all here now, my snowgo runs fine and my Bro inlaw Joe is one ready hunter

Since we do have our **** together this freeze up, were not missing a beat, and all the prep work I did this summer shall now pay in easing our way through willow banks and ready made log sets. had to move my old line a bit, as a couple guys work kinda too close , and since I didnt set a trap around here for 8 years, I did the moving. You move, you lose is appropriate here~~LOL!!~~

We also talked up Wolves and other fur, but since freeze up has been so late, and we couldnt be more "Ready" the fishing ladys set down their nets and took up needles. they did their mesuring and stiched any little rip. me and Joe pitched in and did some softening and strecing and a little bit of scraping.
    They didnt decide how to cut them, they may make a Wolf skin Parkee, maby just a couple dozen ruffss...well see, and I'll post.

Sewing up last winters furs is a great way to kick off theseason with some warm stuff...hats, mukluks, mittens, parkees, and to make crafts for sale, to buy more gas , to hunt more Fur......
    Soon its gonna be dark, and checking traps/icenets is what me and Joe can do, with some young guys/sons daughters along.

yaaa, Im all keyed up after not hunting for so long....all that skin work has me thinking .........kids have been catching lotsa rabbits and ptarmigan as they just cant blend in~~LOL!!~~

Whats next for you?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Hunt

Hey Stranger, glad to see you are all prepared for trapping. We are just getting into deer bow hunting down here, small game is in and pheasant season just started yesterday. Pheasants are few and far between and harder to find than deer.

I have a question. What is the round tube in your middle picture? I looks half metal and half wood? Thanks for sharing pictures, if I ever get something here will post.

Default Anything in season!

I should be home around the end of winter, just before break-up. I'm looking forward to getting out in the woods after whatever critter is in season myself.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Here

Turkeys, bow hunting deer and getting ready for MZ season . Lots of prep work and some hunting. Geese start Saturday.

I'm off to bring home some firewood after I check the sight on my MZ. Busy - busy.

"Martha Stewart Living" meets arctic living reality.......a machinists vise in the living room.......

That , Marko, is my skin flesher/scraper.

Its a 2 inch diameter copper tube with a round wooden handle on it. I chamfer the inside of the copper as my "Blade" and push off the meat/facia/connective tissues from skins. I also use the handle as a strecher/softener for stiff skin.
    handy tool, save ALOT of work later, when you flesh your skins clean.
    I also use it to scrape stored skins that have bits and peices.
    We stor ethem dryed, and after rehydrating the skin, we use the tool to scrape, smooth and strech the skin into a useable condition.

Great for trappers to use on skins, and hide hunters like me

the vice is actually on our work bench. we use the shop for all kinds of stuff. Lotsa good arts and crafts, gunwork and sewing..
    they dont always have to be filthy~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Cool pics, Stranger, as usual. Freezeup is going slow here, no snow yet either to speak of, was hoping to at least get on the river on Nov 1st when trapping season starts, we'll see how that goes. Gotta start getting baits together, conibear buckets, finish off the beaver castor lure by setting it in the house so it gets really stinky, work on toboggan as I busted the brush bow last spring, make another gangline as that got all chewed up last spring with females in heat and males wanting to get at them, sew up some harnesses too, make myself a new fur hat as my old wolverine one is falling apart (have some mink I tanned up and may use that), regular ol' pre-trapping chores.

Hey, nice scraper, good idea! I may have to try that someday instead of a moose bone scraper.

I don't imagine I'll do much hunting before Thanksgiving, as I need to spend some time around the house on my time off finishing up my shed, organizing all of my stuff that became a mess over the summer, and taking care of my wife and kid. I'm still kicking around ideas for my 4-day Thanksgiving break. The family will be out of state, so I've got some time to explore a bit. I'd like to go do some predator hunting and maybe some simple trapping, but am not sure where I'll go yet. Homer area to stay with friends? Delta? I'll get out one way or another.

Brian, if you have skis on the cub and access to it, you're always welcome out here, can get you out on the line with the dogteam, spend a night camping etc.

If every hunter here took to wolves like you we wouldn't have crying about the state letting them eat their caribou and moose.I'm hopeing for a berry eating blacky before den time and then wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Brian, if you have skis on the cub and access to it, you're always welcome out here, can get you out on the line with the dogteam, spend a night camping etc.
    Give me a year, maybe two. I'm not quite to the level of proficiency yet where I'm comfortable taking the Cub out any distance, and I haven't flown it on skis yet. Thanks for the invite, though. I very much intend to take you up on it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Mark, how did your ankle heal up? Back to good as new?

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter
    Mark, how did your ankle heal up? Back to good as new?
    Michael, I wish! Thanks for asking though. Maybe 70%, was more messed up than we thought. One of the downsides of living remote is not being able to access doctors, and the cost of just getting to town makes it prohibitive at various times of year. Not to mention what the doc would cost! Not complaining, glad to be here, by choice, but there are always pros and cons to everything.

Next hunt for me will be back to Kodiak for some more goat hunting and possible brown bear in case we stumble upon one. Doubtful, but lighting does strike at some point right. Then pretty much the whole winter will be mostly ptarmigan and predator hunting up by my cabin. Then in May it'll be black bears to kick it all off again.

Default Let's see....

I am reading the forum and drooling over everyone's success (I didn't get a moose...that brow tine rule kept getin in the way, but I did enjoy taking my gun for a lot of long walks). I will probably do some small game hunting and maybe tag along with some buddies on their trapline. Next year will be my lucky year, I just know it!

For now, I need to stick around the house and help out with the kids. My wife has been VERY understanding through hunting season, but, as all us guys know, if Mamma isn't happy, we ALL suffer.

i dont know about you stranger but here the ice fishing is great. the wife and i have been about 50yrds from the house catching tom cod by the dozens it real fun the ice is about 4inches plus so its starting to draw a crowd. Im enjoying meeting some elders who like to shout advice to you its great. Got the snomachines delivered today so now i just need the snow. Maybe we'll be hunting together soon.

As soon as I get back home I will be chasing the deer and maybe a goat, as well as getting my traps together. Will also be setting my shrimp/crab pots and my longline for some late season halibut before winter!! I can't wait!

Im leaving on the 28 for ND to hunt whitetail with my bow and ducks and pheasents.

I leave on the 29th for a deer/pheasant hunt with my brother for ten days in Pa. Should be a good time, haven't hunted white-tails in years! Bow hunting!

Thumbs up

Heading to ADAK this weekend for a week of boo and birds! Still need to come out and bug you for a while Stranger! I like your style!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast