Thread: Rabbits

Default Rabbits

Don't have time this year to go up north. Any hints on finding rabbits within 2 hours or less of Anchorage. I when to the palmer flats saw 2 but it was thick brush. Not the best when using a .22. Any help would be great.

Default sunkawakan

for shartman
    why don't you use a shotgun 12 gauge no 9 or no 8 for hunting rabbit;you can't miss even in heavy brush

My guns are in the lower 48. I haven't got them up here yet. I was using my buddys gun and thats all I had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sunkawakan View Post
    for shartman
    why don't you use a shotgun 12 gauge no 9 or no 8 for hunting rabbit;you can't miss even in heavy brush
    Man you are using WAY too small of a pellet size. Go w/ number 6 or even use number 5 and you will be impressed. I started using 7 1/2 shot but on another forum members recommendation I switched and I am very pleased. You get far less pelets in the meat! For starters there are just less pelets in number 5 or 6 and they are ;arger/heavier so even if you only catch the bunny in the edge of the pattern it doesn't take too many to hit and roll a rabbit. I always try and lead them a little extra so the back or bottom of the pattern catches them in the head which works best. If you do get a body shot then the 5 or 6's tend to pass all the way through so there are far less surprises when the meat hits the table!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Man you are using WAY too small of a pellet size. Go w/ number 6 or even use number 5 and you will be impressed. I started using 7 1/2 shot but on another forum members recommendation I switched and I am very pleased. You get far less pelets in the meat! For starters there are just less pelets in number 5 or 6 and they are ;arger/heavier so even if you only catch the bunny in the edge of the pattern it doesn't take too many to hit and roll a rabbit. I always try and lead them a little extra so the back or bottom of the pattern catches them in the head which works best. If you do get a body shot then the 5 or 6's tend to pass all the way through so there are far less surprises when the meat hits the table!
    Exactly, when I'm shotgun hunting bunnies I use 3", 1-1/4oz, in #4. For the less than wide open shots, if the bunny disapears into the brush as I'm mounting/lining up the shot I shoot where he was headed. It blows a hole in the brush and as often as not there is a dead bunny for me to pick up.

Default Oats, I hope your joking.

For rabbits the best combination is a shotgun with a imp cyl or modified choke shooting the cheapest, low brass #6 (2&3/4") you can find. A 3" #4 is way too much (hamburger). I like to carry a 22 pistol for head shots if I catch them sitting. It's not very sporting to shoot a rabbit sitting with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    For rabbits the best combination is a shotgun with a imp cyl or modified choke shooting the cheapest, low brass #6 (2&3/4") you can find. A 3" #4 is way too much (hamburger). I like to carry a 22 pistol for head shots if I catch them sitting. It's not very sporting to shoot a rabbit sitting with a shotgun.
    Hamburger? Way too much? Nah, shredding a bunny is a function of how close you are and how tight a pattern you throw at it. You can obliterate one with the lightest traps loads out there. Also, I'm shooting steel in very thick cover. Shot a good load of hares this weekend. Only made a mess out of the first one because I was right on top of him.

Default Rabbit hunting near Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by shartman View Post
    Don't have time this year to go up north. Any hints on finding rabbits within 2 hours or less of Anchorage. I when to the palmer flats saw 2 but it was thick brush. Not the best when using a .22. Any help would be great.
    Has anyone hunted rabbits around turnagain pass? or hatchers pass?

When I was a kid I use to hunt rabbits off eklutna lake and it was quite good but I'm not sure you can still shoot guns up there anymore. I also use to hunt rabbits behind UAA back in the late 60s.

With the late snow the bunnies should be all white and the ground all brown.
    Atleast untill it snows

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Series Inflatable Boats View Post
    Has anyone hunted rabbits around turnagain pass? or hatchers pass?

When I was a kid I use to hunt rabbits off eklutna lake and it was quite good but I'm not sure you can still shoot guns up there anymore. I also use to hunt rabbits behind UAA back in the late 60s.

With the late snow the bunnies should be all white and the ground all brown.
    Atleast untill it snows

I was down in turnagain pass yesterday. Got one, I think the dog was finally releived! Not sure about eklutna lake, bow only most likely. In town is a no go, unless you use a dog for ferrel rabbits, dogs chasing snow shoes can get you into trouble. I still hear there are lots of rabbits around goose lake area, behind UAA.
    Rabbits in the pass were brown with white bellies and some on the feet, posted a pic in my thread yesterday. I was looking all white bunnies thinking the same, but wasn't the case. But snow was not too far off down there, so maybe brown rabbits with snow next time!

The hares I saw near Portage/Glacier this morning were about halfway to white. Pretty conspicuous. I was shooting duck loads so I let them be. I thought about finding some steel #4 shot for those. It's hard to carry the Buckmark in its hip holster with waders on.

Quote Originally Posted by calebsb View Post
    The hares I saw near Portage/Glacier this morning were about halfway to white. Pretty conspicuous. I was shooting duck loads so I let them be. I thought about finding some steel #4 shot for those. It's hard to carry the Buckmark in its hip holster with waders on.
    Was out there just over a week ago. If you take a dog out there keep a good eye on him as I had the nastiest smelling car ride home after my pooch rolled around in all the dead salmon strewn everywhere. A couple baths and a week later the dog still smells!

Drive down the Kenai Pennensula and do a little scouting. There are plenty of rabbits to shoot within 2 hours of Anchorage for those willing to go out and look for them.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Default thanks

Thanks for the help. I have been hitting the trails pretty hard the past 3 weekends. Looks like I might try down south this next one. I still haven't found many bunnies but the thatís why they call it hunting. Thanks again for the post.

Default Finally got some.

Went down south and got some bunnys. Four of us went this past weekend. Thanks for all the posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bunnies

Nice bunnies shartman.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

a friend and i went to lake louise area and ended up coming home with 24. this was about 3 weekends ago when there was no snow but there are tons of bunnies there.
    Attached Images Attached Images