Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Double at the range

Default Remington Double at the range

Ordered a scope mount from Pymarid Air Rifles which clamped on the metric sized rail and slapped on a Burris 3x9 as it was the only scope on hand without rings.

Rounded up a box of once fired Federal brass, some 180 grain Nosler Partitions, and some H4350.

Started with 51 grains to sight in the scope and groups were about 3 inches apart at 25 yards. Before starting I moved the jack (regulation) screw a couple of clicks to adjust the right barrel closer as I heard a couple of horrow stories of the right barrel being wayyyyyyyy off to start. Wished I hadnt of done that because I am convinced the rifle would of been almost dead on if I didnt move it.

Worked up to 54 grains and at 50 yards three separate 2 shot groups were 1 inch, thats right, 1 inch but they were crossing. Both barrels shot to the same point as far as elevation. And my shooting technique was not the greatest as the forearm was being rested on the rest as I supported the rear of the rifle. The god awful long trigger pull didnt help matters either and I bet once the triggers are worked on this rifle will be a tack driver.

Next trip out I will play with the regulation a little bit more so the barrels do not cross and move the target back to 100 yards and see what happens.

For a $700 double rifle this thing rocks! No signs of excessive pressure but sure do wish the 06 was rimmed as it would make pulling the empty cases out easier. Outside of the long long trigger pulls my only complaint is the fact the safety automatically goes on when you open the action. After regulation is complete the iron sights will get fixed and it will be scopeless. Recoil was mild. Might play with 220 grain slugs in the future just to see what happens.
    Tennessee

Randy, this sounds like a fun project. Keep us updated on how it all works out. Is this just a 'fun at the range' project rifle or maybe a backup to the Chapuis?

Default Double

Randy, that sounds like fun. Do let us know how the rest of the sighting goes. I sure wish they would come out with a larger caliber, say 375, 416. Only way I would afford a double rifle. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    The god awful long trigger pull didnt help matters either and I bet once the triggers are worked on this rifle will be a tack driver. . . Outside of the long long trigger pulls my only complaint is the fact the safety automatically goes on when you open the action.
    I have no experience with this Remington action, but when you work on the triggers I suspect you can "fix" the safety from returning upon opening the action. Mention it to your 'smith and see what he says. Should be a simple "fix."

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Randy, this sounds like a fun project. Keep us updated on how it all works out. Is this just a 'fun at the range' project rifle or maybe a backup to the Chapuis?
    Rifle has lots of potential. Would make a great rifle to carry on an atv as it is broken down into two pieces, each probably less than 26 inches long. Never thought of it as a back up, just a fun project. She sure isnt pretty but man does she shoot!
    Heck, shooting 180 grain bullets I would use it on anything in Alaska.
    Tennessee

Default Easy

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I have no experience with this Remington action, but when you work on the triggers I suspect you can "fix" the safety from returning upon opening the action. Mention it to your 'smith and see what he says. Should be a simple "fix."
    There is a small bar that pushes the safety back as tha action swings open. That bar can be easily removed and then the safety is in manual mode.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Even a $100,000 H&H will cross just past where the barrels are regulated to.If you regulate so they never cross then the bullets will hit farther apart starting at a closer range. A big difference in SxS's is the way they recoil. The right will move right in recoil and the left to the left. Fun times at the range for sure.

A properly regulated double should never cross as the barrels are designed to shoot parallel to each other. I used to think they crossed myself until the experts over on the AR forum in the Double rifle section schooled me!

For example, I have shot my Chapuis out to 300 yards and it does not cross. Certaintly the "spread" might start to get larger, but if they cross the regulation was not performed properly.

But commom sense tells me even if they did cross it wouldnt be a big deal as long as the shooter knew where it would hit at the ranges he was expecting to shoot.
    Tennessee

Default THey DID

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Randy, that sounds like fun. Do let us know how the rest of the sighting goes. I sure wish they would come out with a larger caliber, say 375, 416. Only way I would afford a double rifle. Good luck.
    This rifle is also available in 45-70 SxS and 9.3x64 O&U.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I guess nothing is impossible but I've yet to see a double that didn't cross unless of course the bullets went farther apart. Thats why guns are regulated at say 100 yards or a 150 yards depending on if its a stalking or stopping rifle. If you watch the DR event at the Vintagers you can see some of the really big bores cross at even seventy five yards. Most SxS shotguns cross at around fourty yards. Its streaching that number out that make the DR cost so much more

Went back to Birchwood today for a little fun. Top target speaks for itself. On the bottom target the load was increased by 1 grain and not much change. It was pretty windy out and the triggers still prevent a even release but I would speculate that the groups could be cut in half if the triggers were worked on. No misfires, no difficulties extracting the cases.
    One thing for sure though is the rifle is sensitive. Last trip out I was firing the left barrel first ( I am left handed) and this trip out I decided to shoot it correctly and fired the right barrel first which then caused me to play with the jack screw a little. Still, rifle is a piece of cake to regulate or I just stumbled upon the perfect load for this thing.
    A nice gentleman was sitting down the range from me watching and then he came over to talk. He told me he recently bought a Blaser Luxus double from Cabelas in (I believe) 500/416 and wanted to know how this rifle shot. I showed him the targets and then he watched me shoot the final group. His final comments were he wanted to know where he could buy one as it was more accurate than his Blaser. Cetaintly this rifle is not even in the same league as other doubles but still, the accuracy is there. I have never scoped my Chapuis so can not give a direct comparison but I suspect this rifle is more accurate. Still need to load up some more and take it back to 100 yards and see what happens.
    I am resting the forearm on the rest and supporting the stock free hand so this is not even bench rest shooting. The black bullseye is 4 inches across.
    PS: The Noslers are "seconds".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee

Randy,
    I disabled the auto safety on the 450 NE DR and it was very simple. I'm sure that your's is set up the same way. Quick, easy and painless.

I'd like to see some pictures of this rifle!

Randy,

I just linked this thread to another topic on 24hr....

Lets get some pics of this thing!

Will try to take one later today. Be warned though, she aint pretty and looks even worse with the 3x9 scope on it. Havent done any more work with this rifle as I decided to try some 220 gr partitions in it and have not bought any yet. Seeing how this rifle will primary be used on game under 100 yards decided to go with the larger bullet.

Gent over at the AR forum did a test and found out the .308 caliber 220 paritions penetrated as far as the 300 gr slugs out of the .375 H&H.
    Tennessee

A double rifle by any other name......let's see some picks!!!!!!

Brett

Here you go. Absolutely great shooter for the price but looks like crap and needs a trigger job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Here you go. Absolutely great shooter for the price but looks like crap and needs a trigger job.
    Take it easy on your rifle. It looks pretty good in the pics; though a scope looks a little odd on any double. Guns should first and foremost be good shooters. If it was beautiful, but unreliable and inaccurate you would only a have a beautiful club. As it is you have a nice rifle.

Default Scope on doubles

European - not Brit - doubles often have bases for claw mount scopes. My 1936 Merkle drilling even has claw mount scope bases - I wish I had the scope for it!

The claw mounted scopes go on and off quickly with no tools - they are idea for Alaska but expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Take it easy on your rifle. It looks pretty good in the pics; though a scope looks a little odd on any double. Guns should first and foremost be good shooters. If it was beautiful, but unreliable and inaccurate you would only a have a beautiful club. As it is you have a nice rifle.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    European - not Brit - doubles often have bases for claw mount scopes. My 1936 Merkle drilling even has claw mount scope bases - I wish I had the scope for it!

The claw mounted scopes go on and off quickly with no tools - they are idea for Alaska but expensive.
    You are absolutely correct. Many doubles have scopes or can certainly be fitted with scopes. I was just commenting on their appearance. It is like a scope on a 94 Winchester. You can do it and it works fine and allows better shooting for the most part. But I still have not warmed up to the way scopes look on traditional lever guns. JMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast