Thread: Webbing effect on a stock

Default Webbing effect on a stock

Okay, down south I managed this with krylon "webbing" paint, worked great, and actually more durable than the duracoat.

Tried FM, HD, all I can find is the gold. looking for black, of course this is a ground only item and can't order it!

Anyone apply a similar finish with a airbrush and duracoat,,,,I've tried just turning down the pressure but it just stops a paint flow, I can get it to splatter but its not the look I'm after.

Tips? Thanks

Yup, only thing I could find was the gold at Fred Meyer. I ended up buying black and white and eating it with shipping. You can turn down the pressure to give a stippled effect, or 'bounce' the paint off an item like a popsicle stick or clotheshanger (youtube airbrush stippling, you'll see what I mean). However, this doesn't give it the same effect as the webbing paint does.

My Dads Tikka has a Coyote Brown Duracot finish with black/white webbing and no duracoat clear on top. So far, after 1 goat hunt and 2 moose hunts, its holding up exceptionally well (better than I had thought). Fairly easy to work with once you figure out how do deal with some of the finer strings at the ends of the spray, and gives a great looking finish, in my opinion...

I have also looked for a substitute from another manufacturer and other colors, but didn't turn up with anything. If you find anything different other than black/white/gold/silver, let me know!

Check the craft stores in your area, like Michaels or similar. You may have some luck there.

Thanks guys

I'll check the rest of the craft stores in the area. Awhile back I researched how the big shops do it, really (I think) they are using gravity, pot type sprayers,,,,can't do it with my airbrush, turning it down and maybe using a different tip? Never got a straight answer how they do it

I'll keep looking

yougtrout,

At least in Wasilla, I tried Fred Meyer, JoAnn Fabric, Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc. and couldnt find anything. I even went through the whole goat rope with trying to get JoAnn to order it for me to no avail....

If you find something in A-Town, please report

I have not played with paint for years but when I did I found the automotive paint supply shops (like the DuPont dealer in Anchorage) could make up on the spot just about anything you could think up and put it in a rattle can for ya. May want to give that route a try and see if they can make or order web paint.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Okay, post is worthless without a pic so I will get one up, but.

I was told at one point to use rubber cement in duracoat. Did just that, went with high and low pressure, high pressure on a nice thickened paint seemed to work out well,,,a lot of trial and error,,,,,I would call it more spotted than stringed but a fog over the whole deal after the fact..... worked okay,,, I'll get a pic up tonight, if its anything its unique! but camo nontheless

Were you using an airbrush or HVLP gun?

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Okay, down south I managed this with krylon "webbing" paint, worked great, and actually more durable than the duracoat.

Tried FM, HD, all I can find is the gold. looking for black, of course this is a ground only item and can't order it!

Anyone apply a similar finish with a airbrush and duracoat,,,,I've tried just turning down the pressure but it just stops a paint flow, I can get it to splatter but its not the look I'm after.

Tips? Thanks
    Spray the paint on a piece of string and then slap it around the stock.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Spray the paint on a piece of string and then slap it around the stock.
    Now thats my kind of old school, low tec smarts.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here are a couple pics of the final product still need to paint trigger guard.
    -rem 700 action - SS hart #3 barrel chambered to 300WM- 25inches-muzzle brake-high tech stock-talley base and rings-monarch scope-duracoat black

Still want to lighten it a bit, as it sits its right at 7.5lbs but want to add the lightened firing pin with the aluminum shroud, flute the bolt (not loosing much weight but I think it looks cool) switch the steel triggerguard for a aluminum one,,,,hope to have a final product right around 7.25,,,,also looking for a alum follower, don't see why it needs to be steel.

Anyway, a couple somewhat crummy photos, sun went down before I had some time to take pics, but hopefully you get the idea

You did the stock yourself?

Yes, the stock pretty much comes to you out of the mold. I use bondo to fill with. I pillar bedded it and bedded it, maybe overkill but I like it. For the paint used duracoat with a tan basecoat. I took a ratio of 3/4 black duracoat and rubber cement. It took a lot of trial and error to get it to "spit". When it finally went had to paint fast. Also fogged it at about 2 feet away with more black to tone it down. Not the spiderwed I would have liked but all it all I like the way it looks

Looks pretty good to me too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

nice!!! very nice indeed!!! good work. both you guys do!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've seen some of Hunt_AK's work. My skills are passable, his are professional but I appreciate the kind words.

I've mainly done solid colors in the past, but I'll continue to try different things.

Next one I have to paint is a 1911 project, can't bring myself to do any other color than flat black,,,but I'll be repainting my 7-08 soon

Did you see the Para 1911 I just posted? I did it in stainless steel and it came out great!

Man, your stuff is just as good as mine...I've just done a few different effects, thats all...

I'm assuming you were using an airbrush for this?

Ya, I'm using a cheap airbrush. It works, would like to get a better one at some point.

Attached is a pic of my 1911 project, I still have some final metal work to get it ready to go. I need to finish some metal polish at the bobtail I did and the slide to reciever could use some work. I have some nice spalted grips for it. It could be awhile but I'll post a final pic.

I don't think I'm brave enough for the 2 tone, even though the slide is SS, anyway, it was my first 1911 build so I need to "hide" some mistakes anyway

I would think a two-tone would be just as easy as any other since you are painting the slide/frame/misc pieces separately....I'm a sucker for a two-tone 1911...

Default Got some Webbing paint

I was able to order a bunch and get it here pretty reasonable. I didnít want to say anything until I was actually holding it in my hands but It came yesterday so it can be done.

The company is www.createforless.com They told me it would take about 6 weeks to get here but only took this order 3. I donít have the invoice in front of me but I do know they did not stick it to me in shipping.

If someone needs some and does not want to order themselves and wait I can let some of this go for what it cost me with shipping. If I remember right it came out to less than $5.00 a can to get it here.

It is only available in 4 colors. Black, White, Gold and Silver. I got all but Gold because you can get Gold all day long at Fred Meyers cheaper than I could get it.

Like I said, I can lets a few cans go, send me a PM and we can arrange something, I live in Chugiak, work or Ft Rich and go to the valley every weekend or so. Also know a few people like Vince that go back and forth from Fairbanks pretty often that we might be able to ask to transport a can or two if needed. Thanks.

Will