Thread: Best ammo for your rifle

Default Best ammo for your rifle

Thought that this would be a good topic; what is the best ammo for your rifle whether it be factory loaded, custom loaded or load your own. (hunting loads, target shooting, etc.) any and all contributions to the thread would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I use an M-39 Finish Mosin nagant, as it was issued.
    A great all season Arctic rifle , very simple, rugged and light at 10 lbs......I can carry it anywhere, and I do.
    I have Alot of ammo, and the price for it was cheap
    I use Czeck milsurp ammo, 149 gr FMJ's that are wickedly accurate and tumble apon impact, combined with a steel core, it smashed up and drills through all.

Its wicked accurate, putting those in the proper place, and nothing gets away.

My results have been excellent with FMJ's, I have never had a problem with the terminal effects.

Nuk, your a post away from Hallows Eve.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Well, speaking from just recent experience since I got serious about shooting (not just hunting)...

My Kimber -06 likes Barnes, and Hornady A-max's. Period. It also hates factory ammo of any kind. I've tried 4 kinds of Nosler, Speer Hot cores, Rem core lokts, etc. I must've shot over 200 factory and handloads, as well as lapping the bore, before getting decent groups from just those two types of bullets (weight has little effect on accuracy in this gun)

My Colt AR 1/7 likes 77 gr Match King HPBT's and 75 gr A-max's most, but will shoot other heavy bullets just fine, with acceptable accuracy.

My Hawkeye 35 Whelen shoots 225 Nos Accubond's adequately for now, but I have higher expectations after some more experimentation.

I have little desire to find out how any factory loads shoot anymore, since I reload for the purpose of reloading as much as shooting.

Well, I guess if there was a "best" load for a given caliber, there would be only one for each and no one would try reloading. But, that apparently isn't the case, so here we are with a stupendous selection of components to chose from, and all we lack is endless time and money to try them all.

gunbugs, guess that is why it is such a great question

Default Best ammo

I think this will be a good thread until we get into the Accubond wars.

Anyway since were here In my many rifles I have used both handloads and factory to take plenty of game but here are my er my rifles' favorites.

Springfield 1903, 30-06. Newly found favorite in the accuracy dept, 200gr ooolllllddd lathe turned Nosler partitions we found at a garage sale on top of 42.5gr 3031 w/ Fed 210. Too bad they dont still make those bullets, garage sales next spring, LOOK OUT.

Ruger 77 458 WinMag. Darn thing shoots anything you feed it exceptionally well, either factory or handloaded, current favorite is 350 Hornady over 82gr of H335 w/ standard Fed 210 primers.

Marlin 336 in 35 REM. This one just loves the 220 Speer Hotcore over 33gr of 3031, shoots them better then I can with iron sights.

Marlin Guide gun in 457 WWmag. This is another one that shoots alot of loads very well and most to about the same POI which is nice. I guess my favorite load for it is the HSM 405gr stuff loaded with the Kodiak bullets from ABW. I have twice at the range broke the magic 1 inch mark with this combo and also a time or two with the Hornady Leverlution 4570 stuff, but I have broke more critters with the 405 kodiaks.

FN Mauser actioned 25-06. Haven't loaded for this one yet because it doesn't get alot of use up here. It does have an affinity for the plain old green and yellow boxed 100gr Rem corelokts, and I did use one of said bullets to bust a nice whitetail a few years back.

Browning Abolt Micro medallion in 22-250. This little bugger really likes the 50 gr Nosler ballistic tips and seems like the faster you push them the tighter it shoots, within reason of course. Oh how I miss my little 22-250, wish I hadn't left it when I made the move but I left plenty of my handloads with it so Dad will have entertainment at the prarie dog town or calling coyotes.

Thats about all the ones that I shoot regularly, up here anyway, I do have some project guns waiting to go that I haven't done anything but test fired, so one day when I have more time right?