Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: RC566 Hunt late news

  1. #1

    Default RC566 Hunt late news

    Getting my gear ready yo leave tomorrow after work to head toward Lake Louise, Paxson and the east Denali to look for a caribou. Anyone have any weather or animal info? Talk to Glennallen F & G most of Nelchina herd moved out of unit 13 hard and fast first week of October. You have to be in the area to find the animals!!

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    Take a peek in Lake Louise, if you don't see some in two hours, go on up the highway. Cut them off. Hunt the stretch between Chistochina and Slana. They like to follow the river and the road as well. Concentrate your search in the river bottoms of Chistochina and Indian Creek. Good luck.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    139

    Default Lake Louise

    I was hunting birds and bunnies this past weekend around the lake. I spent two days on a wheeler and on foot. I did see a few sets of fresh bou tracks but did not see a single caribou. I takled to the lady the runs the log and she said they just did not show up this year like they have in the past few.

    Lots of bunnies very few birds and no Bou.

  4. #4
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    I'm confused, I'm assuming this is a registration hunt, but then I heard from F&G it was a Tier II hunt? Can someone clarify?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  5. #5

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I'm confused, I'm assuming this is a registration hunt, but then I heard from F&G it was a Tier II hunt? Can someone clarify?
    Nope. No one can "clarify" it. Just say Yes Sir, Yes Sir Three Bags Full, to what you were told by F&G.

    Confused? You really shouldn't be, it is after all the Nelchina Caribou Herd.

    PS: Call Cliff Judkins, he's in the book. He can splain it to you, albeit a might bit abstractly.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    didnt see any up by lake Louise yesterday... ducks, a muscrat, and a fox but no 'bou

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  7. #7

    Talking

    I think a lot of folks missed out on the Sharing Event on October 3rd.
    If you really want Caribou meat, you should plan accordingly for next years event. It is slated to be even bigger and better than this years.
    You may contact AHTNA Corp, for additional details.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I'm confused, I'm assuming this is a registration hunt, but then I heard from F&G it was a Tier II hunt? Can someone clarify?
    The hunt # would indicate that it is a registration hunt, but that's not entirely correct. The first 300 tags were allocated to the Ahtna community harvest program. Additional permits (I think there were 500 this year?) were awarded in a drawing via the spring supplement, but it wasn't a traditional drawing in that there were no application fees. Those that were not awarded a permit received a bonus point for next year's application and will therefore have a better chance of getting a permit then....that is, if the hunt rules remain the same. Successful hunters this year were required to destroy antlers and leave them in the field, and were also prohibited (along with their family members) from hunting moose or caribou in any other unit for this regulatory year.

  9. #9

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The hunt # would indicate that it is a registration hunt, but that's not entirely correct. The first 300 tags were allocated to the Ahtna community harvest program. Additional permits (I think there were 500 this year?) were awarded in a drawing via the spring supplement, but it wasn't a traditional drawing in that there were no application fees. Those that were not awarded a permit received a bonus point for next year's application and will therefore have a better chance of getting a permit then....that is, if the hunt rules remain the same. Successful hunters this year were required to destroy antlers and leave them in the field, and were also prohibited (along with their family members) from hunting moose or caribou in any other unit for this regulatory year.
    Not really. You did not have to be a successful hunter to be in the "prohibited" category. You only had to be an eligible hunter, who obtained of the remaining allotments after AHTNA's. Then there is as always more....was the prohibition extended to the AHTNA hunters?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    731

    Default someday....

    there will finally be a fair and reasonable allocation of permits. the only fair way is a lottery drawing. these "community harvest" tags are totally unconstitutional . the tier 2 permits are also flawed with their residency qualifications.

  11. #11

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    there will finally be a fair and reasonable allocation of permits. the only fair way is a lottery drawing. these "community harvest" tags are totally unconstitutional . the tier 2 permits are also flawed with their residency qualifications.
    I don't see how you could be more wrong in your thinking, than this. Equality only applies to Rights not Priveleges. It is a hard pill to swallow, but that is the world we live in.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12

    Talking like I said...

    I keep saying this and no one listens. The only fair way to do this is to issue the permits by this criteria.

    1. How long you have lived in Alaska.
    2. How old you are.
    3. How tall you are.
    4. How much you weigh.

    Where is my permit?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Valdez, AK
    Posts
    30

    Default

    OK, so the state gave a bunch away, and the rest were put in a drawing...the regs book says that this hunt was supposed to be first-come, first served and available to the public....so giving them to the Ahtna people and making a drawing with the rest seems completely illegal and unethical.
    How was this allowed to happen?

  14. #14

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by ValdezGuns View Post
    OK, so the state gave a bunch away, and the rest were put in a drawing...the regs book says that this hunt was supposed to be first-come, first served and available to the public....so giving them to the Ahtna people and making a drawing with the rest seems completely illegal and unethical.
    How was this allowed to happen?
    Because too few people cared to contest the BOG's Decision. Most folks wait around for someone else to do their dirty work. Just the way it is.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15

    Default

    Back to the original post. Anyone hear of any success on this hunt this last week.. Akres , took your advice and drove Glenn highway to Salana didnítí t see any caribou. Wasnít able to go off the highway on any trails, not enough time. Also drove Lake Louise road still no sign. Appreciate your advice seemed like a good call to me also. Was looking at the state DOT site today and they were reporting herds of animals on the road as road hazard about this time last week, about 40 miles east of Salana. assume they were caribou. Lots of private an Indian land along that stretch of highway. Wished I went the last 40 milesÖ Appears I will be looking for stragglers this weekend. Have to be were the animals are at to be lucky enough to find them. Maybe the last chance for 4 years.

  16. #16

    Wink

    Hmmm....wished you had scored but there are always a few stragglers to catch. Just harder than busting up a herd. Did you talk with any of the truckers? I would talk to some of the truckers coming into Glennallen from the Tok Cutoff and Richardson Hwy. They would likely have some good recent 411.
    Good Luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  17. #17

    Default

    May have to run into Glennallen and hang around some fuel pumps. Will be at least to L. Louise.

  18. #18

    Default

    Caribou and ptarmigan available At the east end of the Denali Highway as of Oct. 30.
    Little snow and + 20 degrees but the wind was howling 30 mph. Good chance for this hunt and the Fed. hunt. Check the weather and see if it is holding and travel the highway at your own risk this time of year. Also good reports of a few caribou around Sourdough. Beware if driving in the dark. Caribou maybe starting to move again.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •