Thread: 7mm stw

Default 7mm stw

I recently acquired a Sako rifle in 7mm STW. I have loaded a few rounds for it but haven't been able to find that "perfect" load. I started with Barnes TTSX 140 gr. bullets and they fly well, but im interested to see what other good long range options there are. My goal for this round is to be able to penetrate medium size game at around the 500 meter mark.

Quote Originally Posted by g.r.p. View Post
    I recently acquired a Sako rifle in 7mm STW. I have loaded a few rounds for it but haven't been able to find that "perfect" load. I started with Barnes TTSX 140 gr. bullets and they fly well, but im interested to see what other good long range options there are. My goal for this round is to be able to penetrate medium size game at around the 500 meter mark.
    I have a 27 inch barreled STW that I built especially for caribou. I've tried a number of different bullets for this rifle, but my best success has been with Nosler 150 BT. I know, everyone wants a bonded bullet load of some type and I have a load for 160 Accubonds just in case I decide to hunt bigger critters with this rifle, but the 150 BT performs well at longer ranges on 'bou sized animals. I've also used a variety of 160-62 grain bullets, but I keep coming back to the 150 BT. It is almost as fast as a 140 and almost as heavy as 160; just makes sense to me.

I've tried all kinds of powder in the STW, but I keep coming back to IMR 7828. Velocity is 3400+ and accuracy is excellent. Send me a PM if you want my load info and I'll send it your way. I love the 7mm STW, it seems a perfect match for LR shooting on animals up to 500 pounds or so.

Default barnes for 7mm

get yourself the barnes 150 grain tipped tsx bt if you want to shoot long range, the sd is .266, bc is .450 hard to go wrong with that

Default Performance

MANY or most 140-160 grn bullets should "fly well". However many will not perform well on game. Bullet which perform well at 500 yds may violently disrupt at close ranges giving inadequate penetration to the vitals, or massive meat destruction.
    The SD and BC of a bullet don't tell everything about a bullet, they just allow you to compare it against other bullets in it's same weight and caliber.
    The real test is when it travels down the tube and impacts the target at the desired point, a miss with a super bullet is worthless; It is also far inferior to a hit with even the cheapest factory ammo.
    Just borrow some 7mm bullets from your friends and load them to check out how they fly from your rifle. A few groups with your rifle will give you a good indication which bullet it likes best. THEN pick the bullet which is known for the best performance out of the candidates which pass the test. Regardless of manufacturer or "cool factor", you'll then have 'THE BEST" bullet for your rifle !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 7mm STW

On the Barnes work on changing seating depth to see if that helps. I have a couple of of these rifles and had to work with seating depth on all my loads. I have also had my best luck with RL 25, accuracy and velocity. The 140 gr Barnes has worked like a charm on animals up to elk. I personally use Nosler Partitions for the simple reason I normally get a little larger exit hole. I know at the velocity I shoot the Barnes the wings do blow off and the exit hole is about thumb nail size. You should also start stock piling brass, because it is not as easy to come by as it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by HEMLOCK View Post
    On the Barnes work on changing seating depth to see if that helps. I have a couple of of these rifles and had to work with seating depth on all my loads. I have also had my best luck with RL 25, accuracy and velocity. The 140 gr Barnes has worked like a charm on animals up to elk. I personally use Nosler Partitions for the simple reason I normally get a little larger exit hole. I know at the velocity I shoot the Barnes the wings do blow off and the exit hole is about thumb nail size. You should also start stock piling brass, because it is not as easy to come by as it once was.
    I am definetely finding that STW brass is worth its weight in gold but i didnt buy this rifle because it was a common caliber, I bought it because it's a Sako with maybe 100 rounds through it for 300$ because the seller thought it was a cheap "non-american" gun. I have yet to experiement too much with seating depth, that will go on my to do list though. Thanks for the tip on the partitions, ive heard mixed results on them as far as close range deer hunting go but probably due to some "operator errors". After I pulled out my load data again i saw that alot of my problem loads were with rl22, maybe this could just be a simple powder problem?