Thread: How about Denali Hwy?

Default How about Denali Hwy?

Hi folks, I'm thinking of taking dad up to the Denali Hwy to do a little bird and bunny hunting, as I have a 3 day weekend starting this Friday. My wife and I had camped up there this summer, I think around Tangle Lakes? Anyway, we saw plenty of ptarmigan when we were there in August and thought this might be a good area.

So, if we don't have dogs, is this area a decent choice? We would have to hunt on foot, which I'm OK with if the going isn't too rough. I'm at a disadvantage, after racing motocross for 20 years, I'm pretty beat up so tough hunts aren't for me. Dad, even at 75, is pretty fit and can do well, maybe better than me!

If you people have a moment, let me know what you think of that area, or whether we should go further up by Delta or Fairbanks. Oh, and is there snow up there now? We don't have any here in Valdez yet, but we know it won't be long now....

I was successful on the Denali Highway a few weeks ago. Paxson side for Ptarmigan and Susitna River area for rabbits. If it is the weekend, I would get out before first light. By 10 a.m. the crowd has pushed all the Ptarmigan several miles out from the road.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Yeah Tangle Lakes area usually best area for ptarmigan right at first light a good time. The bunnies be more in the wooded areas with lots of low bushes down around Paxton or as was previously said the susitna river.

Thanx guys!
    What's the weather right now? Is there snow accumulation? Some of you Delta/Fairbanks people who drive the highway to and fro should have a report...

Hey you guys who live up in Delta/Fairbanks, how's the snow accumulation around Paxson? I know SOMEONE must have driven by there in the past day or so...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

did it snow?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I was down there last week...

and there was little to no snow. No fresh tracks along the road. No one else on the road. But these birds, despite their pea sized brains, know all too well how they stand out with all white feathers in a dark brown and black world. I ran two of my dogs all day, and as usual we climbed up high above the road to search areas of patchy snow for ptarmigan. Found very few birds. Of those the dogs pointed, if they flushed from snow-less areas, and I didn't shoot them, they flew to any patch of snow they could find for concealment. Dogs also found some holding in gullies where there was snow. I suspect the birds have remained up very high.

I hunted very high areas north of Fairbanks today, and the birds were in fact up around 4,000' where there was a brief skiff of snow.

I never saw any hare on the Denali. I only saw two all the way home to Fairbanks late at night. They are beginning to crash.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    They are beginning to crash.

Jim

I think they are, but there are still plenty around. Gotta look for the hot spots. I took two boys hunting last sat ages 11 and 15 and they got 10 apiece. We all got good at cleaning bunnies.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Thanx Jim, that sounds like a long day for not much shooting action. However, it's so nice up there on the Denali, we might go just because it's a great place to spend a long weekend.

We got into lots of bunnies a couple weeks ago up near Pump Station 12 on the way to Glennallen. Lot's of good trails around there, good habitat. Didn't see any birds, though, which is why I was thinking of taking Dad further up. Maybe we'll do both since we have 3 days!