Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: questions for /about guides...

  1. #1
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default questions for /about guides...

    i was part of a discussion last night. regarding Guide camps. and fees to the state of AK?


    as a commercial operation... are you supposed to register your camps?

    pay a fee for each camp?

    and each move the camp makes?

    this come out at the AC meeting that about 1/2 of the guide camps in that area were not up to date or even keeping current in the last few years the camp fees.





    the other interesting subject that came up was NON resident guides, by the AC members. and wanting to limit Guides to be AK residents



    would some one care to shed some light on this subject so that i can wrap my noggin around it

    thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  2. #2
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Vince, I can only comment on the last question. It is illegal under federal law to prevent non-residents from holding a license to guide in Alaska. The only thing by law the state can do to discriminate against non-resident guides is to charge them differing (higher) fees for license/testing.

  3. #3
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default Non Resident Guides in Alaska

    Vince!...This is an Excellent subject!...this has been brought up before, and shot down over and over, it just doesn't make sense to me either. You have to Be guided in Alaska to hunt sheep, goat and Griz (or Brown bear) if your a NON-RESIDENT, but Yet, You can be guided by a NON-RESIDENT!!!!!

    Mark, you make a good point on stating that Alaska Law cannot discriminate, but it's already discriminitory by pointing out NON-RESIDENT HUNTERS!!! needing a guide for certain species they hunt anyway!!!...They are going to play that Discrimination trump card everytime. I know its hard to come up with a solution to this one. (this would be good to post on the Hunting Forum, especially 'cause not alot our hunters really check out this forum on a day to day basis) But I'm glad someone brought this up...

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    yeah i should a shut while i was up...


    i want to know about the fees required and such for setting up commercial operations and the requirements the state puts on the...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,363

    Default Not Alaska law, it's federal law

    I think it has to do with the Commerce clause. Either way, in our Union a state can't completely prevent someone from another state from working at a certain profession.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    The journey to become a registered guild helps with the problem. A young college mans comes up here and hires out as a packer. Maybe the next year the guides has him work as an assistant guide when he comes up. It all builds from there and soon you have a registered guide that don't live here. On the other side some native guides just move out of state for some reason but keep guiding for an income. Believe it or not its hard to find local youth willing to bust their butt for little income. Flip side of that I've know guides than would bring a young man up to assistant but not let him move up under him so not to lose area to another future guide in his area.Most figure the out of state college guy will never work through the whole system.All in all I feel most guides are real good folks and love the land and game

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i was part of a discussion last night. regarding Guide camps. and fees to the state of AK?


    as a commercial operation... are you supposed to register your camps?

    pay a fee for each camp?

    and each move the camp makes?

    this come out at the AC meeting that about 1/2 of the guide camps in that area were not up to date or even keeping current in the last few years the camp fees.





    the other interesting subject that came up was NON resident guides, by the AC members. and wanting to limit Guides to be AK residents



    would some one care to shed some light on this subject so that i can wrap my noggin around it

    thanks
    At least for temporary camps registration is not required on State lands, however, we are now required to show "proof" of permission to use lands within the specific GUA (Guide Use Area) being applied for. For State land necessary permits have to be produced (a fee is charged) - Federal lands usually have some type of concession program in place.
    Though certainly popular (at least with some Ak residents) to limit guiding in Alaska to Alaskan residents not only are there constitutional issues but it is very difficult to demonstrate that simply by "living in Alaska" one becomes and "expert" hunter. Just read some of the posts on this forum. Gut shot bear; sheep shot but not known they were hit until the shooter happened to look back; the list goes on and on.
    A pretty strong case can and should be made that licensing of guides should be based on knowledge and not residency.
    Great questions - thanks for posting.
    Joe (Ak)

  8. #8
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    At least for temporary camps registration is not required on State lands, however, we are now required to show "proof" of permission to use lands within the specific GUA (Guide Use Area) being applied for. For State land necessary permits have to be produced (a fee is charged) - Federal lands usually have some type of concession program in place.
    Though certainly popular (at least with some Ak residents) to limit guiding in Alaska to Alaskan residents not only are there constitutional issues but it is very difficult to demonstrate that simply by "living in Alaska" one becomes and "expert" hunter. Just read some of the posts on this forum. Gut shot bear; sheep shot but not known they were hit until the shooter happened to look back; the list goes on and on.
    A pretty strong case can and should be made that licensing of guides should be based on knowledge and not residency.
    Great questions - thanks for posting.
    Joe (Ak)
    thanks Joe I am educating so if you dont mind.. ( pm s work too)

    the conversation had to do exactly with temporary camps. and some members feeling that certain guides were circumventing fees and DNR notice by "claiming to move camps every third day......


    so if you don mind and OTHERS... please fill me in on the process. that you as a guide is legally required to meet.

    also.. supposedly. these registrations can be found on line.. the feeling is that local guides are meeting that on line verification however others are not.

    IS this wrong? right? indifferent?

    Also. you know i am usually right behind you on most of your observations though being obtuse about it. i am acutely aware of the biological concerns of residency

    thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    thanks Joe I am educating so if you dont mind.. ( pm s work too)

    the conversation had to do exactly with temporary camps. and some members feeling that certain guides were circumventing fees and DNR notice by "claiming to move camps every third day......


    so if you don mind and OTHERS... please fill me in on the process. that you as a guide is legally required to meet.

    also.. supposedly. these registrations can be found on line.. the feeling is that local guides are meeting that on line verification however others are not.

    IS this wrong? right? indifferent?

    Also. you know i am usually right behind you on most of your observations though being obtuse about it. i am acutely aware of the biological concerns of residency

    thanks
    To guide anywhere the guide must be registered for the GUA (guide use area). Prior to registering he guide is required to show proof of permission to conduct guided hunts in the area from a land holder usually the DNR a federal agency or native cooperation. As far as I know all of these entities charge some type of fee for use of lands they control.
    Once the "proof of permission" is produced, it probably falls to managing entity to enforce the conditions under which the permission was initially granted, i.e. collection of fees and special conditions of the permit. If at some point the permit was "revoked" the guiding operation could not legally continue.
    If it is suspected the guiding operation does not have permission to operate in a specific area it should be reported to both the Division of Occupational Licensing AND the entity responsible for managing the area in question.
    Sorry for the delay in responding.
    Joe (Ak)

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8

    Default questions for /about guides

    It would be great if your feedback had more to do with my questions than just suggesting I buy a TV. Anyone else have some help they can offer?

  11. #11
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,464

    Default

    my state land permit has a base fee for my registered camp site, and with that i'm allowed temp camps that have to be moved every 14 days...on top of my base fee i pay a user day fee, per person on the land including myself and the clients per day.

    BLM land use permit has a permit base fee and then a mathmatical equation based off my gross and the amount of time (down to the hour) that i'm on BLM lands.

    My native land use permit is a base fee and 5% of the gross from the hunts i do on their land, even if i'm only on their land for a day.

    maybe that'll help.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •