Thread: got my caribou officially scored!

Default got my caribou officially scored!

it scored 345! 15 more points then i scored it! wooohooo! im filling out all the appropriate information now and getting pics from each angle ect to make it official! not sure exactly where that falls in the books but 325 is the minimum.
    -Andy

Great job! Always fun to put a big bugger like that on the ground.

Awesome man, congrats!

What were some of the basic measurements?

Wink

You sick trophy hunter! Shame on you!

;-P

Gotta be proud of that. Now he lives forever instead of just until the wolves catch up to him.

Congrat's

Taylor

-[]------->

How about a picture when you get a chance. I've never gotten around to getting any scored, but would love the chance to compare (at least through photos) with one that has.

Congrats! Now I demand pictures!
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

From his previous thread...

Default tks

thanks for reposting my pics! and some of the basic measurements were 46" width beams. only 5" deduction from side to side. (all i can remember here at work without the sheet. but ill post more details when i get to the sheet! they really get into the small numbers when measuring all the numbers are like 46 2/8ths ect. i will say that stacee frost was excellent in the scoring process and her time was greatly appriciated!
    -Andy

Did you have to remove the velvet like they require on white tails for an official score?

Default Yup

not sure, the velvit was ready to come off on him though as i lifted his head with his rack it was sliding off, i woulda loved to keep him in velvit but where we were i didnt have the appropriate gear to make it happen. he definatly looks smaller without velvit.
    -907champ

We ran into the same deal with my wife's caribou. We would have liked to keep the velvet, but it was loose in our hands and we had to pack it a few miles out to the road. There was just no way to protect it while strapping it to a pack and busting through brush for a few miles. They do indeed lose some of their mass when the velvet comes off, and some of their unique beauty.

GAredneck - If you want it scored, it has to be stripped of velvet.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We ran into the same deal with my wife's caribou. We would have liked to keep the velvet, but it was loose in our hands and we had to pack it a few miles out to the road. There was just no way to protect it while strapping it to a pack and busting through brush for a few miles. They do indeed lose some of their mass when the velvet comes off, and some of their unique beauty.

GAredneck - If you want it scored, it has to be stripped of velvet.
    So? what was the final out come of the missus's big bou Brian? another shoulder mount? eruo? or life size curled up in the BR corner
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    So? what was the final out come of the missus's big bou Brian? another shoulder mount? eruo? or life size curled up in the BR corner
    It'll eventually be shoulder mounted. When we got married she was OK with what I already had mounted, but made it clear that she preferred to have no more "heads", as she calls them. She likes euro mounts, but not "heads". That all changed when we saw what became her caribou, though. We were looking at it through the scope as the light faded the night before we got it and she started to murmur "hmmm...wow, he's big....and beautiful!....man, look at that mane and those antlers....I know I said I didn't want any more heads, but....wow, he sure is nice..."

It'll be a while since I get my taxidermy work done free of charge and thus on someone else's schedule, but she's already got the prime wall space picked out.

Quote Originally Posted by 907champ View Post
    it scored 345! 15 more points then i scored it! wooohooo! im filling out all the appropriate information now and getting pics from each angle ect to make it official! not sure exactly where that falls in the books but 325 is the minimum.
    -Andy
    Hey, nice caribou. I checked the results for the last recording period, and the 345 score, velvet included, would have placed you in the middle of the 12 results pack with 368+ on top and 326+ on the bottom.
    Great Job!!! Maybe Pope and Young convention for the 27th awards?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the velvet has to be removed to be officially scored. Awesome caribou, hopefully you have a big enough wall to put him on!!