Thread: towing a canoe with your freighter?

Default towing a canoe with your freighter?

has anyone towed another canoe with their freighter?I have some relatives that want to come up to the yukon to do a river trip next year,4 people plus gear in the HB is a bit much.I figured if I can come up with a way to tow a paddle canoe,we could load gear in it and then they could also paddle it for a change of pace sometimes.I would be towing only going down river at modest speed,but don't want the towed canoe veering left and right.

thanks

only 6 months to canoe season

The old outfitters in the Boundary Waters towed a lot of canoes by making a bridle around the front of the canoe so that the tow line terminated at the keel below the stem...thus slightly lifting the bow. If the bow is in the water, you tend to get that side to side motion. It's difficult to describe the hitch but it's easily done.

Default i think there are some pictures

of the bridle that you mention Vern,
    we have had several posts about towing canoes using the bridle method.
    one thing about towing a canoe..
    It needs to be practiced before going out on big water with precious loads etc.
    it only takes a second for the canoe to go from " doing ok" to " throw me a life jacket"
    I watched a guy tow a canoe accross Skilak lake once.. he started out at about 3 mph and things were going along pretty good,,then he decides to speed it up to maybe 5 mph and the canoe dumps,
    I happened that fast..
    look in the archives for towing canoes and you will find some actual drawings and some pictures if I remember
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Certainly you would want to test before the trip.....I woulld prefer only duffle in towed canoe....packed low and slighly rearward....they may find that using poles to make a catamaran may work better for them.

make them paddle!

Towing a canoe can be done fairly easily, even one with a keel. We have done a fair amount of towing with 19' freighters with no problem, but have always minimized the weight in the towed canoe and located it toward the back to keep the bow higher to avoid the plowing action. Keep the weight low, watertight, and tied in so if it does go over, nothing will be lost.

We have towed some lighter double-enders (with no keel) with no problem at all and not using anything special, just a regular bow line, but if I recall, they have always been almost completely empty.

I would think you want to keep the tow line short to minimize the amount of side to side action it can generate and to help with tracking on corners if you have any tight ones to make. Just need to be on your toes when you slow down so it doesn't ram you.

Default towing?

I've towed my Wenonah Kingfisher behind my Grumman 19, but much prefer my catamaran method. It converts my freighter into a very stable unit with much larger load capacity.

The attached picture shows the 2009 version, the most successful thus far.

Could be termed an Alaskan Moose Hunter's Special.

The two boats can still be separated as needs require.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A great compromise Rick, and much safer.

Default Towing?

If the numbers are to be believed, that rig should be able to haul 1900#, if necessary. The "deck" between the boats is useful ... and serves as our kitchen most of the time. Travels at 13 - 14 mph. Runs a bit shallower than the loaded Grumman alone.

Default Canoe

if you plan ahead you can do the 2 canoes side by side but is you break down out there towing by a rope works fine, try to pull from below the water line, when you slow down watch out because the towed canoe will catch up real fast, the reasom you try to pull from below the water line is to help keep you bow up to help track a little better,
    PS don't put the 2 canoes to close together as water will come in both canoes, an make sure they are parrell so they don't work against each other, an the 2 canoes have to some flex, my 2 cts
    SID