Thread: 460 Rowland?

Default 460 Rowland?

I've been looking at the Clark Custom conversion kit for my 1911 in 460 Rowland. I like the idea of having a sidearm the size of a 1911 with 44 Mag level balistics for bear protection. Has anyone here used this setup? I'd appreciate some feedback before I buy.

I've got a Para Hi-cap on order and I'm already thinking about messin' with it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default 460 Rowland

I have two every day carry Rowlands. I do not leave home without one and my wife carries the second.
    Real world published ballistics!

Very nice concept as since you like the 1911, they carry very flat and comfortable in a Jackass style shoulder holster. All day carry day after day without fatigue.

Neal

Thanks Neal, I've done a bit more research, but one more question: What's the best source for brass? Most places I look online seem to be out of it. I've pretty much decided to give the conversion a shot, so I might as well start ordering supplies so I have it ready when I get home.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default 460 Rowland

Starline is showing brass in stock???

Displaying 1 to 1 (of 1 products)Result Pages: 1 460 ROWLAND (Large Pistol primer) .954"-.960" O.A.L. The .460 Rowland is a lengthened, heavy duty .45 Auto based case designed by Johnny Rowland. It delivers .44 Magnum ballistics in a semi-automatic handguns chambered for this cutting edge cartridge. Conversion kits are available also. Contact Johnny Rowland at 1-318-537-1481, or email jr@gunsandgears.tv for more information. Cases are available factory direct from Starline.
    Pack:500 (+$119.95)1000 (+$214.20)

Doh! I din't think of looking directly to starline. I was going off the links from Clark's website. Thanks again!

I don't know the details of it, for example I do not know if the stock slide would be heavy enough. However, you may also want to consider the 45 Super. Same outside dimensions as the 45 ACP but stronger cases to handle more pressure.

I had one for awhile. The ballistics were impressive but I got tired of that long comp making it difficult to carry. I don't know how you could carry it in a shoulder holster with that comp.
    If they could come up with a non comp version that would be great.

Dont need a comp, just install a 6 inch barsto

You still have that extra length to deal with though. I think if you could get it to work in a standard length barrell it would be more packable and popular. I know I am asking alot! : )

We have and do make it work in a standard length bbl, be it the XD,M&P, or 1911. We normally leave the Bar Sto's long for a little gain in the velocity department. If you would like a standard length conversion stop on by the store and we'll fix you up.

Kid, do you sell the conversion kits out of your store in Anchorage? If so, I might stop by when I get home. I'd rather deal locally FTF than order online. The pistol I plan to convert is the Para Hi-cap 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    I had one for awhile. The ballistics were impressive but I got tired of that long comp making it difficult to carry. I don't know how you could carry it in a shoulder holster with that comp.
    If they could come up with a non comp version that would be great.
    I know it's a bit more cumbersome than a standard length 1911, but I still think it would be easier to carry than a large frame revolver. The whole reason I'm interested in this conversion is to have a more compact weapon to carry for bear protection.

If I can get this working, I'd carry the 460 Rowland while hunting blacktails in brown bear country with a .243. It's either that or a monster revolver in 44 mag or bigger. I think the 1911 even with the comp would be easier to carry. The other benefit is that my 1911 holds 14 rounds in the mag, one in the chamber. Much better than 5 or 6 rounds in a revolver.

The Kid you have a PM

Question for the WWG crew. When you convert an XD to 460 rowland what is the magazine capacity? What other semi auto's can you guys convert? Smith M and P? Glock? Sig?

Thanks for the help

Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahak View Post
    When you convert an XD to 460 rowland what is the magazine capacity?
    Jeremiah
    The .460 Rowland round is the same size as the .45 acp. The case is longer, but the overall length is the same.

Default jeremiahak

The mag capacity remains the same, and we normally convert 5in XDs, the fullsize M&P 45, and 1911's, for any other make or model the best thing to do is bring it in and let Jim West look it over as he is the boss and a master pistolsmith and he has the final say in what we will and won't do.

Default 460 Rowland

The style of holsters I use have no bottom in them. They are also a grip forward holster, meaning the barrel is parallel to the ground.

The comp or muzzle brake on mine are very highly regarded by myself and my little wife. All follow up shots are right there unlike a 5 inch heavy loaded 44 mag. My wife refuses to carry or shoot any and all 44's and finds the Rowland fun to shoot.

Neal

Thanks for the replies. I know it was a stupid question, and I should have just googled it but it was late and I'm lazy. Besides there are no stupid questions, just stupid people right?

Do you guys have any photos of a converted M&P? That would be my first choice of the three you mentioned. Thanks

Jeremiah

Jeremiah, I have an M&P 460 and there is no alteration to the outside of the pistol. Still looks the same. All the changes are inside (chamber, springs, and caliber marking on barrel). I am really liking this pistol the more I shoot it. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry of hijacking this thread. I was thinking that it would have a comp on it like the 1911 style conversions. I think I'd like to have a threaded barrel on mine so I'd have the option of using a comp or a suppressor with it.

Jeremiah