Thread: 110 conibear into a 120 for marten

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default 110 conibear into a 120 for marten

Awhile back someone gave me 60 110 coniber traps. I am going to do some marten trapping this year. I know a couple of people who have gotten maten with a 110 but they say the 120 is way better.
    What do you think???
    I think if i could find the springs somewhere i could put them on the 110's and turn them into 120's. It looks like it would be easy to do just cut the welds put the spring on and weld it back together. I have a tig welder.
    Has anyone done this before. dose anyone know off hand where i could get the springs. Just a thought maybe someone has a better salution to the problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    Awhile back someone gave me 60 110 coniber traps. I am going to do some marten trapping this year. I know a couple of people who have gotten maten with a 110 but they say the 120 is way better.
    What do you think???
    I think if i could find the springs somewhere i could put them on the 110's and turn them into 120's. It looks like it would be easy to do just cut the welds put the spring on and weld it back together. I have a tig welder.
    Has anyone done this before. dose anyone know off hand where i could get the springs. Just a thought maybe someone has a better salution to the problem.....
    I think 120s are better, but I have never lost a marten in a 110 and I have caught quite a few in them. I think people like the 120s because they are easy to mount in a marten box. I wouldn't bother changing them out, just use them as is, they work fine.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Supporting Member

Default 110's to 120's

Thunder,
    If you still want to change them, Alaska Range Trapping Supplies used to sell the extra springs for $2 each. The spring eyes were open and just needed to be squeezed shut with a vice after installing them on your 110. I added springs to a dozen 110's and while not easy or fun, it can be done. Cheaper than buying new 120's if you decide you have to have 120's instead of 110's.
    The extra spring on the 120's not only allows them to be stabilized easier, but IMO, also dispatch animals quicker.

I have added springs to 110's in the past for marten, like spike said you just need to bend the eyes closed to put them on. I found this did not work well with most brands, because the eye dose not come out of the center but off to the side more and the traps bind trying to set them this way, with 2 springs. So to make them work reasonable you need to bend all the eyes to the center if they are not there, I think the only brand that dose this (eyes in the center on 110) is Bridger. It would be easier to see what I mean by looking at a larger trap and comparing the eyes. I added springs because of having fisher here get in my traps, that it was necessary to kill the fisher. If just marten trapping I would not add a spring. I have caught a lot of marten in 110's and feel you would be much father ahead putting a swivel next to the spring, and a cross wire on the triggers.

I would like to use the 110s just as they are I have no problem mounting them in boxes and the triggers are all wired.
    I was just worried that they wouldn't provide a clean kill on the marten
    Maybe i will try them and go from there...
    They are new and the springs are good and stiff..

They won't dispatch a marten as quickly as a 120 will, but they will certainly kill it quicker than will a leghold trap.

Very seldom will you find a live marten in a 110 unless it isn't caught right for some reason. Most of them will be suitcased if you set it right.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I solved the problem.
    I went to alaska range tapping supply and they did have 19 springs. I still need 20 more but now that i know they work I'll find them somewhere.
    They worked fine. I put them on with no problems and they don't bind and seem to work fine. They are alot harder to set and none of the traps have the little hooks you use to hold the springs down while you set it.
    I didn't think to check and see if they have them.

You can get springs from Minnesota Trapline Products, as well as safety hooks. I have added springs to all my 110's, around 5-6 dozen.
    The only problem is that some of the new springs eyes are a little bit too small, making it difficult to get them around the hinge point if you prefer to use the last notch for your trigger.
    In my opinion, the 120 is far superior for marten. I mainly set vertical flower pots, and have, on occasion, got them by a front foot/leg. Most 110's, this will result in a pull-out.
    Also, I find it easy to install the new springs by using a set of channel lock pliers.

Supporting Member

Default Extra springs

Mat-Su,
    Glad you found some springs at AK Range Trapping Supplies. They should also have the safety hooks for sale. Did you get the Alaska Frontier Trappers Association member discount? Members get 10% off all their trapping supply purchases by showing their membership card and it adds up fast. If you are not a current member, you can sign up on-line at http://www.akfta.org and also view the other benefits and discounts available to members.

I need to join. I have the applacation i just need to send them a check. I should of done it a week ago. I would of saved more than the cost of the membership. lol

Spike i sent you a pm

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Mat-Su,
    Glad you found some springs at AK Range Trapping Supplies. They should also have the safety hooks for sale. Did you get the Alaska Frontier Trappers Association member discount? Members get 10% off all their trapping supply purchases by showing their membership card and it adds up fast. If you are not a current member, you can sign up on-line at http://www.akfta.org and also view the other benefits and discounts available to members.

I am planning on joining but have a question. Your website says that the price of mink and marten with hector is $5.50 for tanning. I asked him about it and also told him I would be sending in 100 marten and more than that in mink, he said it was $7.00 each. He didnt know what i was talking about pertaining to the discounting you guys have published on your site? Can you explain how the deal works or if it has changed?
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Supporting Member

Default Furs For Fun

Just received my latest invoice from Hector and the marten and mink are still $5.50 each. All I ever do, is copy my AFTA membership card on a piece of paper and add my Alaska Trapping License number. Was not aware any of our members are having a challenge getting the wholesale prices from Hector. I am surprised you were able to talk to him, as I've ben doing business with him for about 6 years and I've found it almost impossible to get him on the phone or to get him to return my calls. That being said, he always does a top notch job on my furs and I always get my own furs back, so I won't use anyone else for tanning.

I know i am going to start useing them. I'm tanning everything i get.
    I can get way more money for the furs selling them to the people that i guide in the summer. I cant beleve the fur prices now days. Has anyone heard what any of the fur prices are going to be this year??

Default Thanks

For the update on the fur tanning prices.

The fur prices are crap, bottom of the barrel. This is what I have heard, I know our fur is better than most and we usually get better prices from the auctions, but the market has fallen badly. Its a good year to freeze or to tan. I am tanning all mine, going to sell what I can tanned to people and save the rest until the market rebounds, if it ever does. With the economy and the way the country is headed, its not looking good for a few years.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!