Thread: Planning a 5 day trip

Default Planning a 5 day trip

Guys I planning a long trip for some out of town guest. I would like some input on routes and places to stay. Here's my plan so far.

Leave somewhere around Big Lake and head to Shell Lake lodge for the first night. Day 2 head north west to Angel Haven or somewhere around there.

From there I really don't know where to go next. I'd kind of like to go over to somewhere near petersville and stay the night and then back to Big Lake.

Anyone know of a good route and lodge between Angel Haven and petersville and also a good route back to Big Lake.

Also I'm open to other routes to take out of Angel Haven which might be good fun riding for a day, up to some lodge then work our way back to Big Lake.

Basically I just want to head out for 5 days of riding and do about 80-100 miles a day and hit some good sights and fun terrain.

Thanks Rick

Gate Creek Cabins and Kenny Creek Lodge are two places to stay in the Petersville area. Not sure of the route from Angel Haven to those places.

Last year they opened a trail from the Petersville area all the way to Big Lake. I haven't ridden it yet so I can't say much about it.

Default Possible Route w/ Map

Here is a description of a route that was used for a Poker Run to connect Angel Haven with the Petersville area. Scroll down on the attachment to see the google map w/ gps coordinates. I have not run this route yet myself.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Capt. Thats, just what I was looking for. I knew there was a trail there somewhere going to Angel Haven, but didn't know hoe to find it. GPS coordinates are always wonderful.

If anyone else have a favorite route please speak up.

The P-ville to Angel Haven trail is shown on most topo maps as the Collinsville trail. I was on it last winter. My group had run up the Kahiltna and then over to AH. It's well established and easy to spot.

If you do stay at Kenny or Gate Creek you can continue south by a couple of routes: 1) Out P-Ville Rd to the Parks and south on the Big Lake-Willow trail, or 2) South on Oilwell Rd to the Shulin Lake trail then south-west to the Kahiltna and down the Kahiltna to the Yentna and on back to Big Lake

Call to ensure that Angel Haven is open.....hearing mixed signals right now for AH.

Also if anyone could confirm the Tal's intentions for the winter season I would appreciate it. I know the current caretakers are leaving around the 1st of the year. So the overland trail from Luce's to Tal may not be near as good as it was last year.

I do believe the trail around the Shell Hills (to Whiskey Lake) on the West side has not been used in a while.

When are you planning your ride? Having the time of the year will give me a better idea for suggestions. I rode almost 4000 miles out there last year. The Volcano put an end to our year.

Thanks for the inputs. Good advice on Angel Haven. Their website is down, so who knows their future.

I'm currently planning this trip for the second week in March. Trying to avoid the Iron Dog and Iditarod crowds.

March is a good time.....good light and normally some awesome snow.

The river can be pretty beat up about that time of the year because of all the traffic. A good stiff wind for a day or so and it smooths things out real nice. Some of the best riding to be had would be out to Rainy pass, if the snow comes and stays. The week before the Iditarod we seen 4 to 6 feet of fresh snow along the Mountains last year.

The loop ride thru Angel Haven to Petersville and back south whether along the highway or the new trail is awesome. A good sunny day and that could be done in a long days ride. A couple off trail excursions will get you a couple of days of some awesome riding. Get a good topo and you will find some great short hill climbs to play at or get out into the large swamps to run some of the untouched powder with some good bumps to launch off of.

Hit me up as the season gets closer on what's happening.

Thumbs up One day Trip!!!

This is one of my favorite runs. I start in Willow go to Swentna Then Donkey Lake or Angel Haven then up to Collenville trail to Forks Roadhouse area then crooss country down though Shulin Lake cross Oilwell Rd. Then straight down to the Deshka and then home.
    Only 240 miles! Just a quick days ride!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Thanks for the input guys. I'm starting to figure out my route. Couple more questions.

I can't seem to get any information on Angel Haven lodge. Anyone have contact info for them. Also is there another lodge somewhere close to them, around 10 or so miles away. Is there a Donkey Creek lodge?

Also, anyone ever stay at Northwoods Lodge, if so can I get a recomendation or at least a situation report (SITREP for you military guys)on the place.

Trail Boss, that's almost exactly what I'm thinking of doing, but I might reverse the direction. The folks I'm going with probably don't want more than 60-70 miles a day. So we plan on taking about 5 days to do it. Spend a little time in the lodge and play in the powder. Might even have 1 beer.

Default The INFO!

OK! heres the deal it's only 1hr from Willow to Swentna on a good spring day!!! And the best powder is up on top by Collinville! The rest you need someone that know that area just to get to the good stuff. Don't for get that 100's of people run up the river every week and above. I run to Shell Lake Lodge and back just for a Burger & Brew! I go to Angel Haven with a 500lb. trailer in 3hrs. And Northwoods is the # ONE place on the river!! Eric and Shan will take good care of all their guests. Been stopping by or spending a night there for 17 years. And it's just 45 min. out of here. But I got to tell you some of the best riding is 10 min. from my door and that way I live here. and I love to share it with my guest and friends!!!
    It's all good from here!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!