Thread: phosphatised metal Vs stainless??

Default phosphatised metal Vs stainless??

folks,

how does phosphatised metal on rifle barrells and actions handle alaska weather compared to stainless??? I don't buy anything blued anymore up here that I hunt with... I was just wondering if the treated stuff handles the weather any better??

thanks guys

G

Default Do you mean

phosphated metal, as in parkerizing? I've had several mil-spec parkerized hunting rifles and with a modicum of maintenance, they held up very well, both with synthetic stock.

Parkerized chromoly holds up pretty well against the elements whether here or on the beaches of Normandy. It will hold more oil and therefore be more rust resistant than a normal blued finish, but as far as corrosion resistance goes stainless will still outdo it. Another option, although more expensive is to have the firearm in question nitride coated, it is an actual chemical process and not some sprayed on stuff , so it wont peel or flake, and it is extremely durable. Any part that has been nitrided has even more corrosion resistance than stainless, and I guess that if you wanted to have the super ultimate anti rust rifle you can even nitride stainless. The process produces a nice matte black finish when done.

All that being said, I personally own several Parkerized firearms and I havent had any trouble with the standing up to the elements, even on extended hunts in wet conditions. The only place any of the have ever showed any signs of corrosion is on the muzzle of my Marlin where the finish has been worn off by cases, scabbards, and the floormat of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Parkerized chromoly holds up pretty well against the elements whether here or on the beaches of Normandy. It will hold more oil and therefore be more rust resistant than a normal blued finish, but as far as corrosion resistance goes stainless will still outdo it. Another option, although more expensive is to have the firearm in question nitride coated, it is an actual chemical process and not some sprayed on stuff , so it wont peel or flake, and it is extremely durable. Any part that has been nitrided has even more corrosion resistance than stainless, and I guess that if you wanted to have the super ultimate anti rust rifle you can even nitride stainless. The process produces a nice matte black finish when done.

All that being said, I personally own several Parkerized firearms and I havent had any trouble with the standing up to the elements, even on extended hunts in wet conditions. The only place any of the have ever showed any signs of corrosion is on the muzzle of my Marlin where the finish has been worn off by cases, scabbards, and the floormat of my truck.
    i agree with "the kid" as it's easy to find ww-2 firearms in good condition after being subjected to untold abuse (not to mention the ravages of time).

personally i like parkerizing, having done it to my rem 700 mtn rifle and a ruger #1. the finish is matte, pleasing to the eye, anti reflective, durable etc.

even stainless is subject to corrosion....as evidenced by a model 60 s&w brought to me for repair.

the nitride process sounds like the cats *****....and is probably worth the expense. you pay your money...you take your chances.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Parkerizing

One fault of parkerizing is that it doesn't protect the bore. On the other hand it is easy to keep it out of the bore unlike the hot bluing process. Chrome lining will protect the bore and as japs learned way before we did in WWII. Weatherby used to chrome line bores but I'm not sure what it did to accuracy. I'm not aware of anyone chrome lining existing barrels anymore.

Epoxy paint over parkerizing is even better than just parkerizing. The brits and others use this method on their military weapons and it is extremely durable and you can pick your colors.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    phosphated metal, as in parkerizing? I've had several mil-spec parkerized hunting rifles and with a modicum of maintenance, they held up very well, both with synthetic stock.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK