Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small framed 44 mag?

Default Small framed 44 mag?

I have a smith and wesson 19-3 357 mag with a 6" barrel, it's an old cop revolver. I like it because it's light weight but doesn't kick a ton, I like carrying/ shooting it in the woods. I'd really like the same weight/ barrel length in a 44 mag. Is there anything out there comparable to my 357 in a 44?

Maybe an old alloy grip frame Blackhawk would be close enough.

Default Colt Anaconda

I use a Colt anaconda in 44 mag. Magna ported. Had it for years and love it. Killed two does in SC with it and a few rattlers. Heavy though.

Default 329pd s&w

or a Taurus 5 shot tracker, if you don't might putting up with some intense recoil, less control on follow-up shots. You could get a Ruger Redhawk 4" instead.

The S&W model 19 is a steel framed revolver. In your circumstances I would opted for either a 29(blue) or 629(stainless) Mountain Gun. They are both .44 magnums in caliber.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y
    Mine has served me well for several years, now.

Steve

frame size is reletive to your hand size, build, and needs. my .44 old model blackhawk carries well on a belt holster, and is a fine shooter.

barrel length is 4 5/8" which to me is very practical, overall weight is some 4 oz less than some of the larger framed models.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Alaskan backpacker 11

Stainless Smith & Wesson

Default S&w 329 pd

For a dependable light weight .44 Mag you can't beat the S&W 329 PD. It is a drop in the pocket .44, the rest are just too heavy for everyday in the woods casual carry. If you have a strap a holster on you are less likely to carry it - just a fact of life.

Also good for strolls on the coast trail or the other trails around town where might meet up with a 2 or 4 legged animal.

I wish they offered it in a 5" or 6" ported barrel but a 4" is certainly O.K.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    I have a smith and wesson 19-3 357 mag with a 6" barrel, it's an old cop revolver. I like it because it's light weight but doesn't kick a ton, I like carrying/ shooting it in the woods. I'd really like the same weight/ barrel length in a 44 mag. Is there anything out there comparable to my 357 in a 44?
    A lightweight 44 WILL kick a ton, and maybe TWO tons.

So, you will want one that is a heavier than your 357. BTW, you don't HAVE TO leave it behind. It's your choice.

Another option, is to handload or get someone like Murphy to load you some 180 or 200 grain hard cast bullets for your 357.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

If we are wondering away from strictly .44 mag, the size (as well as the weight) of my Taurus TI Tracker.41 has worked well for me. Other opinions vary, hit the archives.

Default S&w 329pd

I just carried my friends' Alaskan Backpacker III (scandium/titanium/& I think a stainless cylinder, 4" barrel) on a Kodiak hunt. It was amazingly light. In a gunmate chest holster w/harness - I didn't even know it was there. Shooting it wasn't bad. Don't get me wrong - it kicked with Alaskan Backpacker ammo and Corbon loads, but not as bad as I thought it would. It was even manageable with one hand. My wife can even handle the recoil.

I tried to look it up on the S&W website, but it kept coming back to an Alaskan Backpacker IV; same thing, but only a 2 1/2 inch barrel. I checked some out in town, but hated the price tag and the super short barrel.

I did some more research and found that they still make one like it with a 4" barrel, but don't call it the Alaskan Backpacker, it's the Airlite. I spent at least 45 minutes on the S&W website before I could find it (almost like it was hidden on purpose). I called around, and only found one in town. I was amazed that it was about $250 less than the Alaskan Backpacker (they must be really proud of that laser-engraved bear on the backpacker)! I picked it up.

I've compared it to my friends, and it's the same thing (without the bear on the side).

I'm very happy with it. Its interesting that it has the same model number as the backpacker (329PD), but has a different barrel length and name.

v/r

salcha star road

When I was in Anchorage I held a 629, a 329, and a ruger. The 329 was just too light and I'm worried about the kick from it. I'm thinking the 629 in either a 4 or 6" barrel will be my next gun, I really liked the feel, now I just need to come up with the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    When I was in Anchorage I held a 629, a 329, and a ruger. The 329 was just too light and I'm worried about the kick from it. I'm thinking the 629 in either a 4 or 6" barrel will be my next gun, I really liked the feel, now I just need to come up with the cash.
    That sounds like a good plan. That was my choice too. Then I found a S&W Mdl 29, (Older Mdl.) at a Gun Show, with a 6" barrel. It's fun to shoot.

BTW, S&W is Re-Making some of those Older (Classic??) Guns, for collectors I think,??? but they are spendy

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Recoil w/the S&W 329PD

There's a lot of talk about how bad the recoil is with the super-lite S&W in 44remmag...I've run a bunch of loads (factory & handloads) through two different 329PD's and am not getting it. This includes Alaskan Backpacker and Corbon heavy duty bear stoppers.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you guys shot the light-weight pistol? The kick really isn't that bad.

Rabbit-trail: I remember my dad letting us shoot his 41 & 44 mags when I was 9 (think my brother was 8). My brother never made it to the 44 because he tore a chunk of skin off of his forehead when he touched off the 41! It cracks me up now, but I remember how freaked-out he was then. Thank goodness dad let me shoot first, else I might not have been allowed to shoot those pistols until I was much older.

Back on track: I'd like to get some of the Garrett hammerhead loads, but they seem impossible to get up here.

Salcha Star Road

salchastar, I've never shot the S&W 329PD but, my experience with the S&W John Ross 500 was the same? I didn't think the recoil was all that bad, at least to me.
    Steve

Default Really?

Were you shooting a full-house .44 mag load? Because, though different people have different levels of recoil tolerance, that puppy kicks ****ed hard. Kind of like an alloy J-frame .357 mag with full loads. No, that's worse.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Were you shooting a full-house .44 mag load? Because, though different people have different levels of recoil tolerance, that puppy kicks ****ed hard. Kind of like an alloy J-frame .357 mag with full loads. No, that's worse.
    Man I'm with you on the 357 ultra light J frames . . . ouch, OUTCH!! But I think it has a lot to do with how the gun fits the hand also. To me the 329PD recoil is about like my 460V with hot 395g hard cast, yes it kicks but nothing I can handle even one handed. The wifeís Ladysmith 357 bites like a pit bull, black and blues my knuckles, and I donít play with that thing NO MORE!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Maybe it's the grips?

I removed the wood grips and put rubber (larger) grips that fit my hand on it before I ever shot it. It still has some exposed metal from the frame on the back of the grip, which I thought would be a detriment with recoil. I was surprised when it didn't hurt.

With the rubber grips it fits my hand size very well...maybe that's the key.

v/r

salcha star road

Those Houge grips S&W sells are a definate "do" in my opinion.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Those Houge grips S&W sells are a definate "do" in my opinion.
    Steve
    Mine too. I wish I could get Rubber Hogue Grips for my Walther PPK.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast