Thread: new 22lr. help me choose

Default new 22lr. help me choose

I was in a gun shop today and two weapons caught my eye. A ruger SS single six convertable 22 lr. and 22 mag. seperate cylinders for each. 6.5 inch brl. lightly used in great shape for $335.00. The other is also a ruger a new MKIII 5.5 inch bull brl. blued for $349.00 I would love to buy them both but money is tight this time of year. I can not decide which is better for me intended purpose. I was thinking of something light and handy while I am riding my sno go, atv or snowshoeing, hiking.
    Tree rats,tasty birds, rabbits and fox are the main targets.

Any helpful information

Thanks 45north

Thumbs up

I would tend to stick with the semi-autos myself. My father in law has the single 6 and it shoots well, but is slow to load and feels cumbersome compared to my Browning buckmark (another .22 you should check out). The Mark series are great guns and fun plinkers. Between the two, the Mark would get my vote.

The Browning buckmark is very comparable to the Mark series and a fair amount cheaper. I got mine when Payless went out of business for 1/2 price ($125). They offer all kinds of configurations too (bull bbl, target, etc..). The only thing I don't like about it is it's tendency to misfeed when it gets dirty. This only occurs after 2-300 rounds though so it isn't a big issue.

Let us know which direction you go.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default semi-auto

I have an older Ruger auto with the bull barrel and I absolutely love it. It has fired literally thousands of shots and has never given me a minutes trouble. They are more accurate than I am.

Thumbs up

I second Grousehunter myself. I have a Smith and Wesson .22 revolver but I haven't shot it in years. I love my Ruger semi auto with the bull barrel. I carry several filled 10 shot clips in my pocket and I can do some serious shooting without having to stop and reload except to snap in another clip.

I have close to a dozen 22 handguns and use them all. But the one that gets the most use is an older Ruger semi-auto with 5" bull barrel. Accurate as can be and very easy to shoot well in the field due to the extra weight of the barrel. I'd let go my vintage K-22 before parting with that thing!

Ruger MK II in my holster. Nice Single Six at home in the closet.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Mark II

Another vote for the Mark II. I have heard the Mark IIIs (gun tests magazine review) are a real bear to field strip. The Mark II isn't very easy, either, but they shoot nice. IF you are willing to part with the cash, the S&W Model 41 is a good choice.

Thumbs up Mk II

I have had both the Single Six and Mark II. I still have the Mark II. It is more accurate and less noisey to shoot. You might check the prices at Boondocks in Eagle River. You may be able to get a stainless Mk II for the same price.
    Good luck, and good shooting
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    Another vote for the Mark II. I have heard the Mark IIIs (gun tests magazine review) are a real bear to field strip. The Mark II isn't very easy, either, but they shoot nice. IF you are willing to part with the cash, the S&W Model 41 is a good choice.
    I agree with Ak Steve. I have the Mark II Stainless Target which is a slab side. I love this pistol but shot a S&W Model 41 when I was a kid. I still dream about the Model 41! When I started shopping around (several years ago) I chose the Mark II because I felt it was better suited to the weather conditions up here.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I'm like you Doug- I shot a 41 when I was a kid and always dreamed of owning one. I finally picked up one a few years back, and it came with two barrels- a shorter one with "hunting" sights and a longer one with target sights. It was everything I remembered it to be.

But somehow it was a little too nice to beat up in the field, and it kept staying home while my Ruger Mk II went on hunting trips. I finally parted with it to a friend who simply had to have it, mostly because it was gathering dust. After a couple of years he tells me the same thing- It's too nice to beat around, so he retired the hunting barrel and only uses the gun for formal bullseye competition on an indoor range. Loves it for that, but there seems to be some kind of line you have to cross if you want to use it for hunting.

Thanks for the help.
    I think I will keep an eye out for a good used MKII maybe a 22/45 SS if I can find one in my area.
    Thanks again 45north

Well, let me put my 1/50th of a dollar in for the Browning Buckmark. I recently purchased a buckmark with a 4" bull barrel and it is a fine shooter, very accurate, and fun to shoot. I have taken it out for ptarmigan several times and it has served me well. A couple weeks ago Sports Authority had NIB buckmarks with 5.5" bull barrel's on sale for $209, which is a great price, so I would check them out.

Cons: 1. If it gets dirty, 300-400 rounds without cleaning, it can start to jam.
    2. If you want to mount a scope to it, for some models you must buy a seperate rail mount for it. This rail mount must be removed in order to thoroughly clean the gun, this requires you to slightly re-sight in your scope after cleaning, which can be annoying.

I must also tell you about the Smith & Wesson 22A. While I am not a fan of S&W auto's I must say this gun thoroughly impressed me. My buddy got one and we took it out shooting, built in scope mount, quite accurate and nice to shoot, but here's the amazing part. My buddy takes the firearm with a full magazine, completely submerges the gun under a foot of water (I never said he was the brightest bulb in the pack) and empties the entire magazine without one misfire or jam. He proceedes to do this many times without one jam or misfire, that's pretty impressive.

As a side note what I also wouldn't have believed had I not seen it with my own eyes, the bullets exited the water about 50 feet away from where he was firing, and hit the bank of the lake 50 feet further away, and seemed to be very close to where he was aiming, I was definetely surprised to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    My buddy takes the firearm with a full magazine, completely submerges the gun under a foot of water (I never said he was the brightest bulb in the pack) and empties the entire magazine without one misfire or jam. He proceedes to do this many times without one jam or misfire, that's pretty impressive.
    I think you already know this, but for anyone else DO NOT do this ever. I would guess the only reason why your buddy's gun didn't blow up was because it was 22lr. If it was a rifle or anyhting larger he probably would have been seriously injured. It is these types of stories, that get twisted over time, that lead to people making serious mistakes.

Now on a lighter note that was a pretty amazing story with the bullets exiting the water and all.

My 2 cents on 22 semi-autos: I have got a Browning Buckmark also and pretty much have had the same experiences as everyone on here. They are sweet little shooters, but mine will start jamming and mis-firing literally every other shot if it gets dirty. So keep 'em clean and you are good to go

Also a piece of advice I have heard from numerous people is to not clean a 22lr barrel with a copper bore brush. It supposedly wears out the lands and grooves very quickly. I have an upgraded 10-22 so I sometimes visit the forums over a rimfirecentral. com and many on there reccomend not cleaning the barrel until accuracy starts to degrade. I personally have skipped cleaning the barrel on all of my .22s and I have no complaints. I still clean the entire action good, but leave the barrel alone.

I have a concern about auto's and hunting in very cold weather. As in rabbit or grouse hunting while using snowshoes or on my snogo and the gun is on my hip and it's 20 or 30 below zero will the auto's still function reliably for more than a few rounds?
    45north

In very cold weather I make sure my weapon is dry. Lube gets gummy in cold temps. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem. Amsoil makes a very good dry lube that works well. It's the only thing that I've found that also works really well on locksets in subzero weather.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I have never had a problem with my buckmark in cold weather. I usually keep it in the windshield bag on my snowmachine for the occasional ptarmigan/grouse. It has been reliable in all temps.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've never had problems with my Ruger Mk II in cold weather.

My biggest problem with cold weather is security in conventional belt holsters. It's too easy for the snap to come undone, even if you manage to close it right with gloves on.

Twice I've had handguns pop out of belt holsters wihle bushwhacking for snowshoe hare in very cold weather.

Now I've switched to shoulder holsters under my coat, which not only provide security but also keep the gun warm, if that's a worry to you.

Exclamation submerged firing

I read an interesting article years ago about shooting guns under water. A colt 1911 was fired underwater. In the article (guns and ammo I think) it stated that a gun totally submerged could be fired safely as the pressure was equal inside and outside the gun. The problem we see with split barrels etc is from a gun being fired with the barrel in a medium which is denser than air. Not that I'm going to go out and verify this but the article had pictures! It seems to make sense though... My concern would be that all the air was "out" of the gun being fired! I think I still prefer air-to-air transfers when it comes to shooting!!!

ciao y'all.....

reuben...

Personally, I prefer revolvers, and with the Single Six, you have .22 mag capability, too.

Nothing at all wrong with the Ruger, Browning, etc. semi-autos. Any of 'em will function fine, even in cold weather (if you keep 'em cleaned). Comes down to which action you like better.