Thread: 40 mile caribou hunt

Default 40 mile caribou hunt

I am planning a drop hunt for the 40 mile caribou hunt next fall. I plan on hunting 7-9 days. If I was to hunt hard and be fairly selected what size bull would be reasonable out of this herd?

Default Size

Quote Originally Posted by booneandbuck View Post
    I am planning a drop hunt for the 40 mile caribou hunt next fall. I plan on hunting 7-9 days. If I was to hunt hard and be fairly selected what size bull would be reasonable out of this herd?
    Depends on the size of the shelf, but I'd think you should be able to fill a couple shelves of most upright freezers.

Sorry Boone, I know this was not the answer you were lookin' for. I just couldn't resist. I don't have the answer to your real question.

Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default I wouldn't plan

anything on the 40 mile herd until the issues get straightened out. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Yeah, you may need to draw this tag for next year.............hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Yeah, you may need to draw this tag for next year.............hopefully.
    If any changes are made, they'll be made after the drawing has already taken place. The earliest this could go to a draw would be the 2011-12 regulatory year.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If any changes are made, they'll be made after the drawing has already taken place. The earliest this could go to a draw would be the 2011-12 regulatory year.
    Good call Brian. This is yet another example of how the earlier draws will allow for everyone to better plan the next year's hunts.

As far as the size of the bulls in the 40 mile herd, there are some record class heads that get ate by wolves or die of old age every year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

that does not preclude there may be substantially fewer registration tags available this fall.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You should keep planning for the hunt. Didn't the fly in areas for the 40 mile herd stay open until the end of sept? I thought they only closed the road accessible areas. I also heard a rumor/wish that they were going to limit the registration hunters to bulls only.

I hope it is bulls only.....makes sense to me!

Yes, the fly-in area was open into third week of September.

The largest caribou and finest trophy animal [of any species] that I have ever seen was a caribou bull on Charlie River.....there's a sob story to go with it....we had an inexperienced hunter with us that thought he could outrun the herd....he ran toward them thus preventing anyone else from shooting....it was a huge bull in both antler and body....beams fully as thick as my forearm....simply huge.

Wink

IMO,
    The 40 Mile hunt for caribou offers a better chance for a trophy animal than any other hunt in Alaska. It has a liberal season for those with air transportation. When one adds up the costs associated with other hunts, it might even be comparable or cheaper than them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

There are some very nice bulls in that herd, but I don't expect the current hunt to last much longer. It has simply become too popular due to the relative ease of access. If you're going to do it, definitely plan on doing it next year. Who knows what will happen after that?
    Personally, I'd like to see it become a resident-only hunt, and limited to only bulls.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Welcome to the forum

Yea...as stated above...I wouldn't wait to far in to Sept. to plan the trip. Although the fly in areas stay open longer, they could always close that hunt early and shut you out.

Thanks for all of the advice. I plan on going the last week of Aug into the first week of Sept. Does anyone have any pictures of different class bulls so I can get an idea on what a 330, 350, 375, 400 class bull looks like? I can judge a whitetail deer good but there is a lot more to scoring a caribou.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thanks for all of the advice. I plan on going the last week of Aug into the first week of Sept. Does anyone have any pictures of different class bulls so I can get an idea on what a 330, 350, 375, 400 class bull looks like? I can judge a whitetail deer good but there is a lot more to scoring a caribou.

well for the most part up here we score them on the TASTE O METER.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I will keep and eat all the meat. I am looking forward to trying it. I just would like to have a nice rack to go with it.

Default I Want a 600....

I'd like a nice bull that runs 600 next fall...

600?!?!?

Yepper...the cost for 40 Mile to haul my meat back to Tok...while I enjoy a few more days afield (and some nice fresh backstrap).

I can judge a whitetail deer good but there is a lot more to scoring a caribou.
    While I'm with the other fellas on the importance of the meat, there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to shoot a bull with impressive antlers as well. That being said, I would suggest you shoot something that is visually appealing to you without regard for the actual score. I've seen bulls that I would bet are in the 300" class that are far more beautiful to me than many of the "book" bulls I've seen. I'd rather put something on my wall that has character and unique features than something I can affix a number to. The caribou antlers I have over my fireplace aren't anywhere close to being in any book, but they've got palmated drop points that I have never seen on any other caribou in addition to a big, funky, twisted shovel. Personally speaking, that's the kind of caribou I prefer if given the choice between two healthy bulls.

Default Comment on Bull size

Back in 1978 after guiding two Wyoming guys for sheep and Moose (both successful) they wanted to do a self guided caribou hunt
    I loaned them the camp gear and they flew from soldotna to the Mulchatna herd. I left them with these words- look them over as they all look big. Well, first day out they decide to take only one rifle as there would be only ONE big Bull in a bunch. So they flip a coin and T wins the toss. About an hour later they spot a dozen animals. Lots of glassing and T decides first day so I'll pass. He hands the rifle to R and he says, hey not good enough for you so not good enough for me, remember what Roland told us.
    So the day goes on and lots of caribou are glassed but none compare to this Big bull of the first hour. As luck would have it on the return to camp the dozen with the Big Bull is spotted, stalked and killed by T. Later in the week R shot a nice bull also.
    I think the boone and Crokett Record book came out in 1980 or 1982 and T's Bull ranked 11th overall. Just think, he had passed it up.
    Moral, look them over but have a good idea BEFORE you go what a book Bull has to have. Or as Brian stated one that has character. Good luck with your plans and your hunt.