Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Caribou Antlers

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    134

    Default Caribou Antlers

    I'm looking for a set of caribou antlers for a cape that I have. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member Gr is for Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorville
    Posts
    597

    Default You may not like my idea, but....

    You can make some good finds shed hunting from the Dalton Highway. Of course, it's going to be snowy up that way for a long time, but if you can wait for next summer, take a four or five day weekend to drive up there and look for some sheds. Last time I was there, my group found three really nice ones from big bulls, and that was even with snow still on the ground.

    And no, you can't have my sheds .

    Good luck.

    -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Get a hold of "strangerinastrangeland" and see what he has or can help with. He had a post a couple weeks ago about the antlers they leave (since you can't eat them).

  4. #4

    Wink

    Goody,
    Go ahead and get the cape mounted on a form, using the square shanks mounted in in the skull plate area. You can always come up with antlers to be fitted as removable/detachable. It is not a permanent deal and you can upgrade with each new set you get. I have never found a big bull caribou shed, that was not damaged. It is the nature of them, to get beat up, broken, splintered etc during the rut. Finding someone with a decent set laying around would likely be a better deal.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Go take a 4 wheeler and drive around unit 13, look for circleing ravens and magpies.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •