Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice, please

Default Need some advice, please

I'm having a problem with a taxidermist. Short story: Dropped off a mountain goat in Sep 07. He says, "approximately one year". I pay $500 deposit on a $900 total. The year goes by and nothing. I've contacted him several times and it's always some sob story. Finally in August this year he sends me an e-mail with pictures of my goat mounted on a form and drying, but the finish work hasn't been done. He said, "it'll be a couple more weeks before it dries and I get it painted. The remainder of your bill is $505; $400 for the rest of the taxidermy work and $105 for shipping" (I live out of state). I sent a check, it's been cashed, but still no goat. I called him two weeks ago because I'm headed out to Wyoming for a couple of weeks to visit some friends and I wanted the goat to be here before I left. He said he'd take it to Fedex the next day and send me a tracking number. Haven't heard a thing. I just got off the phone with the Police Department in the town where he lives and they say he's known for lengthy delays with customers. They did say they'd go by there and see if they can shake it loose. Other than a civil action what options might I have? Am I being unreasonable here? I think I've been fairly patient through this ordeal, but the tank's about empty.
    Last edited by Tater; 10-19-2009 at 15:29. Reason: spelling

I'd fly up here for another hunt and while i'm here, i'd pay him a visit and get my goat. There is no excuse for a lack of communication, at the very least, he can be honest and stay in contact with you. After hearing so many horror stories about this stuff i'll never have taxi work done out of state and will only use 1 trusted taxidermist.

Did you get the name of the officer you talked to? Do you know anyone up here who pay him a visit for you?

I did get the officer's name. He just called me back and said he went by the taxidermist's studio. My goat is there (at least the taxidermist said it was mine) and he is "working on" getting it packed for shipment. I'd asked him to ship it prior to my trip to Wyoming because I live alone and I didn't want it left on my doorstep while I'm away, but I think that's exactly what will happen now. But, at this point, I'll just be glad to get my goat. I was close to bringing my goat back to Idaho and having it mounted here. But, I like to support the economy where I'm hunting and the guy does do phenomenal work. However, I could never in good faith recommend him to someone else because of his poor customer service. Even the police officer said his brother-in-law has been waiting on a bear mount for 5 years and he lives in the same town! A lesson learned for me.

Tater, do you mind sending me a PM about the outfit?

You should have a PM. I'm not looking to slander the person. I just honestly wanted opinions about if I was being unreasonable on my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    You should have a PM. I'm not looking to slander the person. I just honestly wanted opinions about if I was being unreasonable on my expectations.
    May I ask that you send me a PM as well? It's amazing what some people do as businessmen. I think you have been reasonable according to your details. Delays happen and I think we should be reasonable when they happen, but the fact that he is cashing checks before completing the task at hand is an indication of a real problem.

I guess the police officer visit was enough to shake things loose. The taxidermist called tonight with a Fedex shipping number and my goat is on the way. I know from seeing his mounts, it'll be a great job, but I can't do anymore business with him.

Post some pictures when you get it....

Here are the photos he sent me back in August before he'd done the finish work. I think he does great work as far as the mounting goes. I'll take some more when it gets here and post them, also.

Default Taxidermist....

I sent you a pm.

Wow, tater, that does look good!! Congrats on ironing this one out....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Wow, tater, that does look good!! Congrats on ironing this one out....
    WOW is right. Looks good. Has me rethinking me getting a full rug down vs. a shoulder mount like this. Great looking trophy sorry it took so long to get it back.

Default A bit of a thread hijack...

... But how much of the hide is used to do a mount like this? I took out the entire hide and face of my goat, leaving only the hooves afield, since I knew I didn't want a rug. I would like to have a big goat blanket, but that leaves the question of what to do with the face. He was a really nice goat, and I would like to do a shoulder mount like you have done, but I don't want to sacrifice too much of the good part of the rest of the hide. What did you do? Did you have anything done with the remainder of the hide, or did you just take out the cape?

I don't need to decide just yet, as the hide is being tanned at the moment, but I should have it back in a couple months..... Wait, that's what you thought, huh?

I know this really belongs on the taxidermy thread. Apologies. I've hijacked a couple in the past few days. I'm starting to expect a reprimand from the mods .

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

We were over 4 miles from the drop off point with a fairly heavy spike camp, so, even though it was a nice prime hide, I only took the cape. I don't think goat hair is durable enough for a floor rug and I don't have the wall space for one, so it was never a consideration for me....

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default It does look great...

Over the years I've become good friends with my taxidermist's. One in Alaska and one in New York. I think trust is something you develop with your taxidermist over time. For me, I drop stuff off, pay what they ask, and try to never bring it up when I'm talking to them. I know they'll do a great job and charge me fair, and that's -that. I do have friends that use other taxidermists and they ***** like crazy cause stuffs been there for multiple years. Sounds like your taxidermist did a great job and did what he said he'd do, except it took longer than expected. Two years is not unreasonable in my experience. I would refrain from setting a deadline (Wyoming trip) in the future and trust who you choose as your taxidermist. If you don't trust them, then don't leave your trophy with them. Sounds like your guy at home may have been a better choice. If you ever want the name of the guy I use in AK just drop me a PM.

That's probably good advice, but this was the first time I'd used this taxidermist. I took him at his word (trust) and he didn't live up to it. When "about a year" became over 2 years, I knew I'd made a bad decision. I originally planned to bring the goat back to my taxidermist in Idaho who I've used several times. In retrospect, that probably would have been the best choice; not only for me, but for the taxidermist in Alaska. I like the guy as a person and I know he does great taxidermy work. He just won't get any more work from me. It's likely not even a drop in the bucket in the big picture.

Great looking mount, Tater.

I've been researching prices for a full-body mount for the goat that the wife just killed; research is indicating between 2800-3500 dinero. Ouch.

That shoulder mount is looking pretty tempting at close to 1/3 the price.
    I'll show her the pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Here are the photos he sent me back in August before he'd done the finish work. I think he does great work as far as the mounting goes. I'll take some more when it gets here and post them, also.
    Congrats Tater, that is going to look great on the wall. That certainly confirms what I'll do with my goat; when I finally get to take one that is.

He had a mount in the shop that was a shoulder mount, but also had the "pantaloons" included that looked pretty nice. I don't know if it was more than a shoulder mount (I assume it would be), but could be a good compromise between a shoulder and a half or full body mount.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I would advise anyone..

against just walking into a taxidermy studio and dropping off their trophy without any prior experience with the person. I asked around and was introduced to the guy I use in Alaska by other hunters and a guide. I've had stuff with them for over two years and it doesn't bother me a bit. The first mistake I ever made was trying to pin them down on a timeline. All I care is that it gets done well and for a fair price. When I look at my mounts, I want them to be full of good memories and not a source of stress. I see too many people freaking out over stuff that doesn't mean crap. Can you imagine the calls the cops get over guides that failed to supply their client's with the B&C trophy they anticipated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast