Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Your Advice

Default Need Your Advice

With permission from one of the forums admins I am asking for peoples advice. I am the Outdoor Range Master for Blacksheep Archery Club. The club is a nonprofit club that dos a lot of things for kids and Boy Scouts. We hold 3-D shoots every first Sunday of the month “as long as it doesn’t conflict with holidays or other shoots in the area”. My question is what would it take to get you to come and join us at one of the shoots. I am working hard to put on good shoots and bring the archery community together. I am willing to take all and any constructive criticism. I know that there is no way to ever make everyone happy but I am willing to try. If you have something to say but you dont want to post it you can PM me.

Thank you for your help

Make it easier to get on base. I know it's not your fault, but I've had so many delays getting on base for shoots that it pretty much soured me on the whole thing. You and Cook Inlet should combine forces and do outdoor 3D's on their range.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default try agine?

what would it take to get you to come back and try agine. I am at the gate from 830 till 9 on days of the shoot.

Default just my thoughts

Not sure if this is chad that I am replying to---if not I was a member there when I was stationed there.

1st---I truly don't think your attendance at shoots has anything to do with outsiders not coming on---that has always been an issue, but I feel it has to do with those on post not coming.

How many archers do you think that there are on Elmendorf/Richardson? I am betting several hundred? In the lower 48 a succesful 3D shoot would have 50-100 in attendance. I shot in the artic warrior games--and you had a great showing---so I would recommend that you figure out how to get that crowd out.

Alaska is different, and I understand why---you shoot from Oct to April--when it is you know what cold out---most people don't consider that fun? Its all about what you are passionate about.

Another huge challenge is driving distance---especially since you shoot in the dead of winter---I know AK Doug lives out there--tough to drive 2 hours to do a 3D shoot. I know he is the exception--and I am not trying to speak for him

Lastly, whether you like it or not, club leadership has the perception of shadiness, what they have done to Marcus Doerry and family has turned some people off---word gets around---not saying that this is your fault or a prime cause---but I am sure that there are some that used to come--that don't anymore.

I hope you can turn it around, you have the ideal setting to put on great shoots.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    With permission from one of the forums admins I am asking for peoples advice. I am the Outdoor Range Master for Blacksheep Archery Club. The club is a nonprofit club that dos a lot of things for kids and Boy Scouts. We hold 3-D shoots every first Sunday of the month “as long as it doesn’t conflict with holidays or other shoots in the area”. My question is what would it take to get you to come and join us at one of the shoots. I am working hard to put on good shoots and bring the archery community together. I am willing to take all and any constructive criticism. I know that there is no way to ever make everyone happy but I am willing to try. If you have something to say but you dont want to post it you can PM me.

Thank you for your help
    I'm sorry that I can't help you. This "quote" asks if this is the Blacsheep Bowmen that I first started back in the winter of 1960 or so? Met in a cold quanset hut and had a great time. Other members included Keith Johnson, Master Guide, who shot a bear Magnum in those days . . . . .

Mort Mason

Post here and on aba web site with shoot time and dates. In advance and day or two before shoot.
    Would be rare i would drive up from soldotna but there are times i would.
    We have had shoots in soldotna with 5 or 6 shooters winter is tough time with short days and possible cold weather but i have always enjoyed the shoots
    good luck
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default dont know if I can

I dont know if I can post shoot times and what not. I asked if I could post this befor I did due to the no advertising. I dont want to do anything to get myself kicked off this forum!!

I agree with Nimrod...about 5-7 days before your next shoot, post it on this forum. Topic, "Next Black Sheep 3D Shoot". In the text area give the dates, times, and maybe simple instructions to the site. You might come up with what is needed at the gate and what someone might have in the way of gear that is banned on base. Make it easy for me to say *yes* I am sure a moderator can/will chime in if this is not acceptable. The last shoot I went to was SOLEY because I saw it advertised on this forum and I was happy to see it. I think the purpose of this forum is to promote everything archery...to me shooting is fundamental to archery, and anything we can do to shoot better should be actively promoted!

As Pat can attest to, many of us are getting older and out memory is not what it use to be...so reminders are needed at every opportunity
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I dont know if I can post shoot times and what not. I asked if I could post this befor I did due to the no advertising. I dont want to do anything to get myself kicked off this forum!!
    Go ahead and post 'em. You can also post events to the calendar using the link at the top.

Default shoot times

Nov 1st outdoor range
    December 6th indoor range
    January 10th indoor range
    February 14th indoor range
    March 14th outdoor range
    April 4th outdoor range
    May 9th outdoor range
    All shoots will start at 10:00 with sign ups at 9:00. If you don’t have a way on base meet at the Boniface gate from 8:30 till 9:00. You cannot have any drugs or guns and have a drivers license to get a pass. If you are running late call my cell phone at 920-636-8535 and give me a heads up and I will stay as long as I can to get you on. Shoots cost $10.00 for nonmembers and $8.00 for members. You can e mail me or call me if you have any questions cmp189ap@yahoo.com. We sell food at the shoots also.

All shoots will start at 10:00 with sign ups at 9:00. If you don’t have a way on base meet at the Boniface gate from 8:30 till 9:00. You cannot have any drugs or guns and have a drivers license to get a pass. If you are running late call my cell phone at 920-636-8535 and give me a heads up and I will stay as long as I can to get you on. Shoots cost $10.00 for nonmembers and $8.00 for members. You can e mail me or call me if you have any questions cmp189ap@yahoo.com. We sell food at the shoots also.[/FONT]
    Great, this is a good start. Don't forget to Re Post about a week before each event. You might add how many targets, how often...for example 20 3D targets before lunch and 20 after...something like that.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Prizes??

I would suggest trophies or plaques of some sort for prizes.. Have them listed.. and advertised..I dont think people will drive an hour, pay money to shoot a course competitively and get a pin or certificate.. I would strongly encourage this in the cub, and young adult classes.. Kids are our future archers.. If they dont want to participate and the numbers are low now.. in a few years their will be no one.. Also, putting on 1-2 GREAT winter tournaments with lots of shooters, would be better than 6 mediocre ones..

Just my .02

Default "I agree"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I would suggest trophies or plaques of some sort for prizes.. Have them listed.. and advertised..I dont think people will drive an hour, pay money to shoot a course competitively and get a pin or certificate.. I would strongly encourage this in the cub, and young adult classes.. Kids are our future archers.. If they dont want to participate and the numbers are low now.. in a few years their will be no one.. Also, putting on 1-2 GREAT winter tournaments with lots of shooters, would be better than 6 mediocre ones..

Just my .02
    Don't worry about adult classes but make a good showing for young ones!!!

Default the shoots

Right now the club gives out the pins for 1st 2nd and 3rd. Any kids that show up to shoot I will give them a pin no matter how they do. It’s my way of making them feel “special”. I put out 20 targets and you shoot the first loop eat lunch and then shoot them one more time. The distances are from 3 feet to 60+ yards. I will also put out shorter shots on the long ones “like a woman’s tee” the last shoot of the year “may 9th” I am going to try and get the club to allow me to do a bigger shoot with a full 40 targets and as a prizes for the 1st 2nd and 3rd places in each shooting groups something like a beer mug with your name etched into it. I would take down your address and mail it to you. The shoot might cost a little more but it’s a good way to get people out before the spring bear shoot and what not. The shoots at the indoor range are hard shoots and I have seen more arrows get lost in there than I have on an outdoor shoot. I don’t set targets up on “shooting lanes” with nothing in the way. I try and make the shoots as hard as I can but not impossible. Animals don’t walk into the open and just give you clear shots when you’re in the woods. It’s a fine line I walk trying to make the shoots hard but fun without making people mad.

Default Well

I made it to a shoot before I left and it was a great shoot, but the only problem was finding the place where the indoor shoot is held at. When I 1st got to Ft Rich I would ask other archery shooters where the indoor range was at and they had no clue their answer was somewhere past burger king LOL. Finally wife and I drove around with some directions and found the place. So with that probably want to put up some signs that lead to the indoor range. The outdoor range I would do the same thing. I was heavily involved with the bow club in Huachuca and we did this and we avg 20-30 shooters once a month. If their was someway you could expand the indoor range that would be great as well. When I was thier it was crowded well I thought it was... That is what made the Paul's place so great easy to find and plenty of room... The access part well that is another issue and if someone is thier to get people on then that should take care of it. As someone said target the bowhunters on post and you will probably get a good crowd.

Default Kids compete too...

I think the idea of handing a pin out to every kid who shoots isn't a good idea, Kids are competitive too, and most arent stupid and can rad between the lines... Why would they bust their butts off, practice, spend their allowance money on upgrades, arrows, knocks, etc.. when the other kid comes in with a 5.00 walmart bow shoot like crap and gets the same thing.. Their not going to for long..

The turkey shoot that North birchwood has was a great idea on the other hand.. (hint)

Trophies and plaques are cheap.. With entry fees covering the cost of them why not.. I still think people aren't going to shoot for a .50 cent pin. But who knows.. I can tell ya that I have shot tournaments in about 20 different states, and 5 countries.. places that charge a entree fee and give a prize of some sort... (trophy, plaque, etc) to the top 3 have WAY better turn outs.

Default good idea but I dont know

I give the kids that shot best a 1st 2nd or 3rd and if there are more kids than that “most of the time not” a Blacksheep pin. The kids I have given them to thought it was the cools thing. Most of them where under the age of 12 and I didn’t even make them pay to shoot. At the next meeting I’ll bring up getting a bunch of plaques but with the numbers I have had I don’t know if they will spend the money for them. The only other thing I could do is have them made after the shoot and mail them out. I think that would be the best way. That way I can put your name class and date of the shoot. If you think about all the classes that would be a lot of money if I don’t have the people to give them to.

Default shoot change

Due to other obligations with the club the 3-D shoot that was going to happen this weekend is now going to be next weekend. Sorry about the inconvenience this might have caused on anyone.

Default back on

I am sorry about the last post but i was able to work things out and keep the shoot this weekend!!

Default sorry

Do to the decision made by Pam “club secretary” and Rod “club president” we will once again be having the 3-D shoot on the 8th of November. All of my assistants and myself wanted to have the shoot this weekend due to the detraining weather and also other obligations we all have that weekend. I myself am sorry to everyone that wanted to come to the shoot this weekend but as the outdoor range master I do not have any say in when the shoots should be. If you have any problems with this feel free to call Rod or Pam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast