Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accubond terminal performance

Default Accubond terminal performance

I've received some ammo loaded with 180gr Nosler Accubonds. They shoot fantastic in my 300WSM rifle but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand reports of how they perform on game.

I shot an average-size hog here in Arkansas with a 140 grain Accubond out of my .280. Hit him way too far back. The bullet pretty much destroyed both hams but penetration seemed to be excellent, as it was a complete pass-through even after taking out both hips.

I would feel confident shooting anything up to moose in size with them in a .300 WSM.

I've shot them out of my 30-06, beautiful performance! They would not be my first choice on grizz/brown bear, but I'd use them for anything else in AK without hesitation.

Default Ask and ye shall receive!

Both 180 Gr. Accubonds, 30-06. Recovered out of my wifes moose @ about 80 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

My dad and I both shoot them in a variety of calibers. Neither one of us has ever recovered one from a dead animal, so I have no way of knowing for sure how they perform. For all I know, they "fail" every time....the animals just don't know it.
    Most recently, I killed a moose with a 140 gr. Accubond out of my 270. It was a long shot that broke bone, and still went on through.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Both 180 Gr. Accubonds, 30-06. Recovered out of my wifes moose @ about 80 yards.
    Nice performance Yukoner! How big was the former moose? Can't say I expect much better performance than that out of any bullet in the '06.

Thanks folks! I think I'll use these with confidence.

Yukoner- that's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Man that is good bullet performance ! Especially at 80 yds ! I wonder with the increased velocity of the 300 if they would have faired as well ! They might not have been recovered either.
    Tell the wife " Good Shooting"!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Hodgeman, I have only used a 180 AB once on game out of my 300 WSM. Shot a cow elk @ 200 yds in the lower thicker part of the spine. Was a complete pass through, destroying the spine. Found a 9 gr piece of lead in the exit wound area which was about 2-3" in diameter. I think they're a good bullet.

Having said that... have you thought about the 180 E-tips? They will hold together better and have more square/blunt and jagged expanded frontal for better cavitation and permanant wound channel... although the AB's will shed some material which will cause some collateral damage. They also have a slightly better BC. If I were in griz country, I would feel a little better with them than the AB's although the AB's would probably do the job.

Mark

Thumbs up

200gr shot at 2935fps out of 325wsm. Hit bull moose at 315yds in the hump, broke his back, recovered under the hide. It weighs 140gr. It retained 70% of it's weight just like Nosler says they do. I've also shot sheep. One at 400yds, and my friend shot his at about 250. Both were pass throughs.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Having said that... have you thought about the 180 E-tips?... If I were in griz country, I would feel a little better with them than the AB's although the AB's would probably do the job.

I've looked at Etips but haven't found any in loaded ammo and I don't reload for this one yet. I did see some in Winchester loaded ammo but they coat them with moly... I'm intrigued by the concept although my rifle didn't like TSXs.

Mark, since when is Montana not griz country? I thought you guys had a few at least roaming around down there.

I've looked at Etips but haven't found any in loaded ammo and I don't reload for this one yet. I did see some in Winchester loaded ammo but they coat them with moly... I'm intrigued by the concept although my rifle didn't like TSXs.

Mark, since when is Montana not griz country? I thought you guys had a few at least roaming around down there.
    Yup, a big part of Montana is griz country but our griz rarely exceed 500 lb. To clarify, I should say that the 180 AB would not leave me feeling under gunned, but I think the E-Tip would be a tougher, better penetrating bullet. Having said that, I would pick the most accurate of the two in my rifle.

Here's a thread that should warm your heart....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...me-does-31021/

Oh yeah... you need to start reloading

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Nice performance Yukoner! How big was the former moose? Can't say I expect much better performance than that out of any bullet in the '06.
    It was about 50" or so, real nice moose. Had a very pretty set of horns.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I'm a big fan of Accubonds. You look at the pictures posted of the recovered bullets, and they look pretty much textbook.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

180 gn accubonds = meat on the ground
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    180 gn accubonds = meat on the ground
    Yep all four goats taken on our Kodiak trip this year were with 180 Accubonds in 338mag. The 2 that I was involved in were both 300+ yard shots and were quick one shot kills we recovered one bullet that had directly hit the front shoulder joint of PolariBlakes billy and it held together quite well.

Interesting note.
    On the same hunt, about 1/2 hour before my wife, i shot a nice bull with my .280. About50-60 yards. 160 Gr. TBT. Both went right though him, about a 2" group. Last year, i took a 51" feller @ 140 yards approx. with a 160 Gr. Accubond in .280. He dropped like a stone. Recovered the bullet, and it was just like the others shown.
    Granted, at 60 yards the 160 gr. .280s are whistling along pretty good, but the 30-06 is as well. I miss the Accubonds. I guess i need to get into reloading.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

The caribou I have harvested with the 180 grain Accubond have died very quickly. I've only recovered one bullet. It looked almost identical to the one Partition I've recovered. Mushroomed to 0.65x.7 inch and retained 80% of it's weight. Can't ask for much better. Jim

wow!

bet these accubonds would be great in a 9.3x92 mauser (250 grainers).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast