Thread: New hunting scope

Question New hunting scope

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice on a new scope. I just bought a new Marlin XS7 in .308 and am looking for a affordable, but well built scope. I'm looking for something with a high zoom in a 40mm. I've looked at the Nikon Coyote with the BDC, what do you all think about it? I saw the Nikon 4-12 40mm last night but the BDC reticles seemed a LOT bigger than the ones on the 3-9 40mm. I'd like to have one with some type of BDC built in either tactical, dots or with circles. Any advice you all have will be great!! Thanks!!

i just bought the leupold 3-9-33 vxII ultralight and i love it, so if you bought the 3-9 vxII you would love it. for the affective shot placement distance of that gun the 3x9 is a cost effective way to get good glass with a low cost.
    NRA life Member JVJ

My first question would be: what are you planning to hunt that requires so much magnification on a .308? I would not go above 3-9X personally. More magnification than that is rarely useful in big game hunting. But if that is your preference, I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X on a .223 that I like pretty well.

Default Leupold

In spite of working their way toward more expensive scopes, Leupold is my choice considering how much $1 buys in good glass.

Seems to me that 3 x 9 is enough power for a 308 round.

All my rifles (except my .22 rimfire) have Leupold scopes attached.

When you put a large scope on a Marlin it really changes the ballance. I would look at a scope in the 1-5x range with an objective at most 33mm. The larger objective also means you have to use higher rings which aggravates the ballance problems. You might want to look at one of the red-dot scopes instead. Jim

Default Keep it small, keep it simple

IMO mounting a large scope on a leveraction is like putting mud tires on a Corvette; you can do it, but why? You likely bought the rifle for its firepower, balance, and its distinctive look. A large scope will make the leveraction a bit unwieldy and provide very little gain. Perhaps the Ultralight Leupold 3X9 if you must have a higher range variable, but this gun is well suited to a fixed power scope or a low range variable. Keep it as light as you can and use lightweight rings, Talley LW or something similar would be a good match. It's easy to place more than a pound above the receiver of that rifle and that makes for a poor leveraction hunting rifle IMO. You do not need a special reticle to be proficient to 300 yards with rifle. I think you would be better satisfied with a duplex crosshair for that rifle and its purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty1053 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice on a new scope. I just bought a new Marlin XS7 in .308 and am looking for a affordable, but well built scope. I'm looking for something with a high zoom in a 40mm. I've looked at the Nikon Coyote with the BDC, what do you all think about it? I saw the Nikon 4-12 40mm last night but the BDC reticles seemed a LOT bigger than the ones on the 3-9 40mm. I'd like to have one with some type of BDC built in either tactical, dots or with circles. Any advice you all have will be great!! Thanks!!
    Why a long range scope on a short range gun????? I would think a Leupold 2-7 or 3-9 range scope with a standard duplex reticle would be much more appropriate.

Brett

I'd go with something small and simple. I'd skip the fancy reticles. I do have a Leupold with their B&C reticle. Worst thing I've used in a while- it works but its a pain in the field.

Your .308 is well suited to something in the 2-8x or 2-7x class, at most 3-9x. I'd even look into a fixed 4x. Go with a smaller objective- at most a 33 or 36mm. 40mm at up usually requires higher mounts and the rifle will handle sloppy.

IMHO a 4-12x is way too much magnification on a hunting rifle.

Thanks for all of your advice. The XS7 is Marlin's new bolt action. I think I'll go with something in a smaller zoom and see what happens. As always you guys ROCK!!

Red face Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty1053 View Post
    The XS7 is Marlin's new bolt action.
    Never gave the new model a thought but that it was a leveraction. I must have sounded like an idiot. Enjoy the new BOLT ACTION and let us know how it shoots and what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Never gave the new model a thought but that it was a leveraction. I must have sounded like an idiot. Enjoy the new BOLT ACTION and let us know how it shoots and what you decide.
    I did the same thing!!! I though it was a lever action, but I'd still stick with the 2-7, 2.5-8, or 3-9 range.

Brett

I didn't even know Marlin was making bolt actions until my dad told me about them. It cost me $289 w/o tax. I still haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but I'll let you know. Thanks again for all of your help.