Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only when seasons closed

Default Only when seasons closed

Took the wheelers out to try and fill a bear tag only to find a bunch of moose. We counted over 50 moose, we counted 8 bulls and 42+ cows. It was fun I was able to practice some calling and watching there reactions was pretty cool. Just wanted to share so here are a couple pictures. In the second picture is what we felt would have been a legal bull if season was open. Of the 8 bulls we saw we figured 3 were legal. I wanted to ask them where it was they hung out during the begining of September but I geuss I don't have the calling part down yet. In the pictures I attached this group had 3 bulls and 21 cows. Only after season.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Holy moose!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN!

Do you know how many hunters are going to drool over those pics
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

gotta love the rut.. and finding those october holes.

growing up on the farm,in wasilla we used to get up to 54 moose in one spot for a week each Oct. never knew where they came from or went too..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default minimizing opprtunity

Thank goodness ADF&G in their infinite wisdom has hunting season CLOSED when moose are readily available and easily seen (foliage off the trees). Maximize revenue minimize opportunity thats their motto

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

I think the moose know when hunting season is over. They just look dumb. Great pictures. And yes, there was some drooling.

Default same thing

SEEBLAZE, thats funny we did the same thing. Never seen so many moose in my life. It was great seeing them spar, call, and chase eachother around. I was amazed at how many good sized bulls we saw. We didnt see a single bear but got lots of moose pics

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    gotta love the rut.. and finding those october holes.

growing up on the farm,in wasilla we used to get up to 54 moose in one spot for a week each Oct. never knew where they came from or went too..
    Probably came from some of those BIG cabbage farms over at Palmer!
    Joe (Ak)

While it's frustrating after the season, I sure like seeing moose numbers like this.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Here is a couple more. The first picture has a bull on the left that had 3 brow tines and a smaller bull on the right. The second picture has a bull that did an excellent job at sneeking and peeking, he was the other legal bull. And yes I was drooling too...

Seeblaze, very cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Not uncommon to have post-rut concentration areas where moose will herd up like that in larger numbers. Hopefully most of those cows are preggers too.

Quote Originally Posted by cbalzar View Post
    Thank goodness ADF&G in their infinite wisdom has hunting season CLOSED when moose are readily available and easily seen (foliage off the trees). Maximize revenue minimize opportunity thats their motto

Minimize opportunity? Moose seasons were open for over a month in many areas. That seems like ample opportunity to me, and it looks like many people did well based on reports shared here.

I'm thankful that seasons are closed when moose are most vulnerable. If we shot all of those bulls in these pictures there would potentially be too few bulls left to impregnate the cows, thus fewer moose to hunt in the years to come. Why some people want to shoot everything with little regard for the future of the resource is beyond me.

If we wanted moose seasons open at times like these, the eventual result would be fewer harvest-ticket hunts and more drawing-permit hunts as success rates went up. That would be a true loss of opportunity. Right now we have TONS of opportunity, but some are more successful than others.

Default Gotta agree with Brian

on the last post! Well said.

Default Triple that

And I'll add that if folks like cbalzar don't like the seasons, you have choices:

1- Get involved with the political process, your advisory council and the BOG.
    2- Go to Delta and buy an Elk. I hear that is easy.

Default Plus 1

I have to agree with Brian as well. Well-stated!
    My signature is awesome.

Nicely said.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Minimize opportunity? Moose seasons were open for over a month in many areas. That seems like ample opportunity to me, and it looks like many people did well based on reports shared here.

I'm thankful that seasons are closed when moose are most vulnerable. If we shot all of those bulls in these pictures there would potentially be too few bulls left to impregnate the cows, thus fewer moose to hunt in the years to come. Why some people want to shoot everything with little regard for the future of the resource is beyond me.

If we wanted moose seasons open at times like these, the eventual result would be fewer harvest-ticket hunts and more drawing-permit hunts as success rates went up. That would be a true loss of opportunity. Right now we have TONS of opportunity, but some are more successful than others.

You should be thankfull there are that many moose left over. If they left the season open another few weeks i bet you would not get many if any pics like those!

Default Well said

Well said Brian. I agree 100% and I am one that did not get a moose this season.

Default plywood

ok who is out there nailing sheets of plywoond to moose's heads
    wow weeeeeee thanks for sharing

i hunted alot this year and i didnt get a moose either, for the first time in 8 years!!

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast