Thread: Ultralight Game Bags

Default Ultralight Game Bags

So just wondering who has used the new game bags at Barneys.

Seem like a TAG bag knock off to me.

They looked ok but the sewing seemed lighter to me. Hard to tell without putting them side by side.

I'd like to know if the meat crusts over or not with them.

All the other stuff they have added as selling points really doesn't do anything for me as I use a black sharpie to write my name on my bags anyways and I could care less if they have reflective tabs on them.

Saw their website and yes, they do look like a TAG bag knock off. A few years back Barney's was carrying TAG bags. So it goes I guess.

On a related note, I bought my first TAG bag set this year for our sheep hunt and couldn't be happier with them. A neat trick we used was to hang our sheep quarters overnight, out of the TAG bags, with a tarp awning shielding them. We then washed the TAG bags, all of the bloos easily came out and they dried pretty much instantly. The next morning we had clean, dry game bags to put over the quarters that had crusted nicely overnight. For moose I am still using traditional canvas type bags, but weight is not an issue on our moose hunts.

I have picked up one of the caribou bags this year but didn't get the opportunity to use it. My initial impression having the fabric side by side w/ the tags is that they look like they will be a bit more breathable than the tags but time will tell.

I have seen the add for the Caribou bags and was wondering the same thing. love to hear some reports on them. They looked to be a little more money than tag bags also. I see they give a few more bags though 8 vs 6.

i used the tag bags on my goat hunt this year and loved them...used them on 2 goats, then washed them and they look brand new. stitching is great and no rips in material. and as far as the caribou bags. i have not used.
    NRA life Member JVJ

With the caribou bags, you don't need 8 unless your planning on killing 2 caribou. I could fit 2 sheep in the original TAG bags quite easily or one very large caribou. Iknow the TAG bags work and will continue to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    With the caribou bags, you don't need 8 unless your planning on killing 2 caribou. I could fit 2 sheep in the original TAG bags quite easily or one very large caribou. Iknow the TAG bags work and will continue to use them.
    I agree you can easily fit 2 sheep/goats/ or caribou in a set of the caribou TAG bags. Or bone the meat out and you can fit a whole animal in each of the tag bags. I really have been impressed with TAG bags this year. Used it on 3 goats, and 2 moose and a caribou. Only a few tears in the bags due to the ribs cuting holes in a couple, but thats it. Over all they wash in a creek in only a minute or two of dunking and are dry overnight. Great lightweight quality game bags IMO.

Default Gore-Tex

A Gore-Tex game bag would be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jda52 View Post
    A Gore-Tex game bag would be the answer.

I can't say that I agree with that statement.