Thread: Mckinley Mountain Men needs Help/volunteers

Default Mckinley Mountain Men needs Help/volunteers

The Boy scouts are having a huge jamboree in Seward the weekend before memorial weekend. Something like 2500 scouts will be attending. It was asked if the Mckinley Mountain Men would help with the Muzzleloader and tomahawk portion of their jamboree.

We dont have the kind of Man-power to accomadate that request, although we will try anyway, it would be nice to have a few fellow smoke pole shooters to help out.

we are working on a grant for powder, balls and patches to be provided to us. We need 50 caliber traditional (no inlines, just to keep things organized and consistent, we are not snobs) muzzleloaders as well for the event.

Also and Im not sure of the exact date but we also sponsor another youth day at birchwood. Usually mid summer. Last summer, 5 members took on 150 kids by themselves. Including one member in his 80's in a wheelchair.

This club has a long history of participating in historical, educational and pro gun involvment in Alaska. Our membership is aging and getting smaller. This club, and what it represents is always a huge hit wherever we attend. It would be a shame to see it go away. And Honestly Im getting worried.

If you would like to volunteer or join, please pm me.
    Or visit http://www.mckinleymountainmen.com/index
    Thank you for your support
    We are of course a 501c non-profit club.

This is one of those times living off the road system hurts, Matt. If I could be there I would for such a good cause. I'm likely to be out of state then too, but I'd try to be back if I could drive to Seward and do it.

Anyone else? It's work, but it's a big payback when you see kids' eyes light up when having so much fun. I thought my 9-year old granddaughter was going to do the Charlton Heston on me (you can have my rifle when you pry it from my cold dead hands) after our first session shooting muzzleloaders. Pellet rifles and 22s had been fun, but the muzzleloaders were FUN. I don't know of a better way to get kids hooked on shooting.

The kids love the muzzleloaders. They are so different than any other gun they normally see. Plus it is much more involving for them. And the smoke and fire really grabs their attention.

Also, just to be clear, you dont need a muzzleloader to help out, or even experience. We will be happy to show volunteers how to load and fire, and we have guns on hand, although we could use more.

Mountain man attire not required either, although you look cooler in it!

Default can't get there from here

Rimfirematt - I would love to help and have pretty much ALL of the toys from my reenacting down TN/NC way but I live in Juneau.

http://api.ning.com/files/5kExwIHIhd...friends001.JPG

If you all will have us, I'll go ahead and pencil in the date on the exteme off chance that my wife and I can show up and bring gear. There might be 3-4 other old flintlock reenactor/mountain man types around if you would like me to tell them just in case they can make it to Seward.