Thread: Pot puller question???

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Default Pot puller question???

I sold my old pot puller with my old boat. At the time I sold it I planned to buy a boat that came with an Electra-Dyne puller but now I have decided to have a new boat built. Now I am sorry I let my puller go. I had a Power Winch Pot Puller and it worked OK. Now that I am shopping a new one I have a couple questions.

My shrimp rope has a few splices in it, the shots have eyes braided and I choke the sections together. The capstan passes these splices through if you are careful. If I buy one of the other styles like the EZ-Pull or Line hauler will these splices pass through?

I would like to buy the Electra-Dyne but I only shrimp 1 time a year on vacation so I am not sure I want to spend the extra money. I also have my pots rigged on a separate line because I plan to shrimp in WA every so often (Haven't yet) and I think they require a separate line for each pot.

Thanks Mike

I have one of the Safety-Puller models. It is the light commercial unit, but all of their units a nearly the same except for the motor pulling power. It handles splices very well. Even have just a plain old knot in one of my lines and it goes through the puller with no problems.

I have the same unit as AlaskaM5 and it handles splices and knots without issues. The electradyne will pass the splices just as readily only faster if you ask the people that have them.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default My 2 cents.

I also have the Safety Puller and love it but it tends to get very hot. It even got hot enough to melt the power supply wires. Im not sure how long it will last but so far so good. It may be because im pulling my crab pots from 1000' or they are to heavy for it. Other than that no problems.

Default Which puller

In the beginning, I looked at the safety puller and due to it's smaller size it would have been simpler to mount on my boat. Then I got to the part about the price, huh, same money as the E-dyne. Then I comparred line speed, huh, no comparrison! Then the machinist in me kicked in and we comparred the workings of both units, again no comparrison.

It all comes down to what you want. The Electra Dynes don't fit everywhere due to their size, they have however, been adapted to fit in some remarkable locations by certian skilled artisans The joy of running these high end units would still be the biggest selling point for me even if it were only run once a year. Like the "Filson" motto says, "Might as well have the best."
    Mike

I have the ACE line hauler. it works fine for me, but is a pretty light duty unit. It doesn't pass the one knot I have very well, I have to take the line out of the block and pass it by hand. This doesn't cause me much of a problem, but if you have lots of knots I wouldn't recomend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundog View Post
    I sold my old pot puller with my old boat. At the time I sold it I planned to buy a boat that came with an Electra-Dyne puller but now I have decided to have a new boat built. Now I am sorry I let my puller go. I had a Power Winch Pot Puller and it worked OK. Now that I am shopping a new one I have a couple questions.

My shrimp rope has a few splices in it, the shots have eyes braided and I choke the sections together. The capstan passes these splices through if you are careful. If I buy one of the other styles like the EZ-Pull or Line hauler will these splices pass through?

I would like to buy the Electra-Dyne but I only shrimp 1 time a year on vacation so I am not sure I want to spend the extra money. I also have my pots rigged on a separate line because I plan to shrimp in WA every so often (Haven't yet) and I think they require a separate line for each pot.

Thanks Mike
    Mike,
    The ED will pull knots, splices and loops through the plates with no problems and you won't have to touch/pull the rope while the hauler is running. Yup the ED's ain't cheap but you'll only buy it once. The folks at ED and myself are working on a new model hauler that will be more portable so maybe you could use it in both places, if it all comes together the new model will be unveiled at the sportsmans shows this spring . If you have any other questions please feel free to email or call.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2825 View Post
    I have the ACE line hauler. it works fine for me, but is a pretty light duty unit. It doesn't pass the one knot I have very well, I have to take the line out of the block and pass it by hand. This doesn't cause me much of a problem, but if you have lots of knots I wouldn't recomend it.
    Those blocks supplied with the ace's are kinda small, maybe you need one of these? It has a bigger "throat" so knots, snarls and splices can easily pass through it.
    hancock block.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thanks Steve, that looks like it might work better. We are considering a bigger boat (what boat owner isnt??? ), and if we do I'd like to go with something I don't have to constantly haul on like the Ace. I'm not complaining about the ace, for the price it has worked great for us, but if your upgrading boats, why not pot puller too?? Sounds like the ED could work pretty good for us.

Default Smaller Hauler?

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Mike,
    The ED will pull knots, splices and loops through the plates with no problems and you won't have to touch/pull the rope while the hauler is running. Yup the ED's ain't cheap but you'll only buy it once. The folks at ED and myself are working on a new model hauler that will be more portable so maybe you could use it in both places, if it all comes together the new model will be unveiled at the sportsmans shows this spring . If you have any other questions please feel free to email or call.
    Steve
    How are they making it smaller? Smaller motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    How are they making it smaller? Smaller motor?
    Not going to be smaller, same gearbox & motor. Working on a more "small boat Alaskan mount"

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

My buddies let me borrow their ace puller for our 4th of July trip, very nice of them!!! It beat the heck out of the hand pulls I did last year.

What I learned is, if you plan on putting 5 pots on a string, weighting them so they get down in a reasonable amount of time and where you drop them, and you drop them 500-600', the ace is not the unit to use. I darn near killed it from 4 pulls.

I'm also not about to do drop the pots differently, as we did quite well with our drops. Not sure what unit I'll get next year.

Default Space needed?????

Some people think that the ED is too large for their boats (and in some cases it is), but it will EASILY pull all five pots on one line. How much space does it take to carry 2 or 3 buckets of line and buoys around because the "smaller" puller will not handle more than 2 or 3 pots at a time? Not only that, but how much money do you spend on the extra 1000' shots of rope, swivels, weights, and the buoys to go with it? Put that money towards the the purchase of an ED and suddenly there is not as much as price difference as you think between it and a POS. PLUS you get a quality piece of equipment that can handle doing the job quickly. Not something that will make you wonder if it will do the job or not.

Another way to look at the dilemma of which puller to buy is to do a search. Which one gets the best review? Which one generates the most converts? Which one generates the most heat? Which one do more fishermen want?
    3 outa four ain't bad especially when you consider that tricky heat comparrison is not a good thing anyway!
    I remember when no one had one locally and the very little information out there came from Steve. Discovering him to be a man of his word, I jumped in and brought the very first one into town even before he was selling them. Now 2 years latter, look around, how many are out there now? And I would predict within the next couple years that population will grow rapidly.
    This company seems to be very progressive and interested in not only what will sell but also what works the best in various applications. I know they welcome your input and suggestions as well as photos of your operation. I would encourage owners to pull together pictures of your rigging, post them on here or get them to the Pot Builder. Aside from the great braggen rights it will be a win, win situation for anyone else contemplating taking the plunge!
    Mike

Yo potbuilder...do you carry those Hancock blocks? Ball park cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Yo potbuilder...do you carry those Hancock blocks? Ball park cost?
    Yes i do, i'll pm you the info

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

have been using a safe-t-puller 200 pound model for 9 seasons. it has held up well and pulled heavily weighted 5 pot strings a few hundred times. sterting to get a little squeeky now when im checking my (empty) crab pots, but even if it gave up at this point i would have to say i thought it did its job.