Thread: Ruger M77 Trigger

Default Ruger M77 Trigger

I have an older Ruger m77 with the tang safety (92-ish).

The trigger was bad for it's entire life... and now it is horrible.

I can either have the factory trigger worked, which I have had done on my Ruger 338, or I can have a Timney put in.

My question is, based on experience, which is better in the end, and where to have it done in Anchorage.

Thanks

I had a Timney installed on my Ruger M77 Mark II .338 and haven't regretted it for one second. Its a dream to press. It breaks oh so smooth. So yeah, Timney would be my vote.

If you know a gunsmith who can do this work, it would be an excellent way to work a Ruger trigger. The information below is available to gun smiths only. I have seen the drawings of the trigger work (a sub-link in the article) posted by some folks at another forum, something that may not be legal since the article is copy-protected. Anyways, you should be able to print the article plus the drawings.
    http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

Take it to Stan Jackson. He is a master with machining!!!! I had him work on my new .375 Ruger and the trigger is VERY nice!!! I can not over state how nice and crisp the trigger is now. He aslo charged me $50 for the trigger job which in my book for his level and quality of work that's hard to beat!!!! Look at the thread I posted on here about how well my gun shot. Most of that is the gun/load combo, but make no mistake the trigger is a huge help. I would just ask him if he thinks he can work with what's there. If not have him put in what you like.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    I have an older Ruger m77 with the tang safety (92-ish).

The trigger was bad for it's entire life... and now it is horrible.

I can either have the factory trigger worked, which I have had done on my Ruger 338, or I can have a Timney put in.

My question is, based on experience, which is better in the end, and where to have it done in Anchorage.

Thanks
    I personally like the original trigger in the M77. It's fully adjustable and IMO you are not going to gain an advantage by purchasing a Timney (or such) for an original M77. Many years ago I bought a Timney for a song and put it in one of my M77s, but it is not any better than a tuned trigger on a tang safety M77. I dislike that the safety arm is aluminum on the Timney and I've not been able to adjust the over travel as much as I like. The original Ruger trigger is easily adjusted and I think having a gunsmith tune it for you that in the end you will be better satisfied.