Thread: Old loner bull...

Default Old loner bull...

I drove south from Deadhorse to Fairbanks last Wednesday. Didn't see any caribou north of Atigun, and a small herd of caribou were on the mountain side about 10 miles south of Atigun with some hunters watching from a ways out. Saw one lone bull caribou a little ways south of Coldfoot out by himself. We spent about 5 minutes going through the regs to make sure we were in the right part of 24A and since we were north of Pump 5, we knew we were north of the Kanuti river which is where the limit switches from 5 to 1.

After verifying where we were, I decided to go for the stalk. The bull was about a half mile from the road, but we headed south a ways to get the good cover and better wind. The stalk worked perfect, and soon I was standing 10 yards from him, but I couldn't weave a shot through the few little black spruce. Reluctantly I moved a touch up wind from him and he smelled me and ran. I thought I blew it, but got lucky as he stopped at 50 yards and I let him have it. The shot was perfect and he b-lined for a lake, luckily that had 3-4" of ice on it. He did the bambi stumble on the ice 40 yards from me and crashed hard. I was worried he would break through but the ice held. It popped and cracked as I walked out to get him. I quickly drug him to shore, and had to head back to the truck for the camera and sled.

I wasn't planning on going after a bull, but he was on his own, grazing and barely moving around. He looks to be an old bull that was beat up pretty bad during the rut. He had puncture wounds in his rear that were badly infected. There was a green color all the way through both hind quarters and half way up the backstraps. There were also brown and black spots in the majority of the meat, and his hip bones pushed his hide up about 2". His backstraps were about an inch thick, and his front quarters were twice the size of the rear quarters. He was missing one long, thick point up top, and had seven points that were chipped or broken. His second shovel was busted off about an inch from the base. I've got some decent sized racks at the house, and the mass on this one dwarfs all of them. I'm not sure the pictures do him justice. His beams are 50", shovel is 16" tall, and his back points are between 16-18".

Thanks for the pics and story Jerod. That bull is a beauty for sure!!! Sounds like you might have helped him out in not being forced to endure another tough winter as he sounds as he was ill prepard for it. Great job on a wonderful caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I drove south from Deadhorse to Fairbanks last Wednesday. Didn't see any caribou north of Atigun, and a small herd of caribou were on the mountain side about 10 miles south of Atigun with some hunters watching from a ways out. Saw one lone bull caribou a little ways south of Coldfoot out by himself. We spent about 5 minutes going through the regs to make sure we were in the right part of 24A and since we were north of Pump 5, we knew we were north of the Kanuti river which is where the limit switches from 5 to 1.

After verifying where we were, I decided to go for the stalk. The bull was about a half mile from the road, but we headed south a ways to get the good cover and better wind. The stalk worked perfect, and soon I was standing 10 yards from him, but I couldn't weave a shot through the few little black spruce. Reluctantly I moved a touch up wind from him and he smelled me and ran. I thought I blew it, but got lucky as he stopped at 50 yards and I let him have it. The shot was perfect and he b-lined for a lake, luckily that had 3-4" of ice on it. He did the bambi stumble on the ice 40 yards from me and crashed hard. I was worried he would break through but the ice held. It popped and cracked as I walked out to get him. I quickly drug him to shore, and had to head back to the truck for the camera and sled.

I wasn't planning on going after a bull, but he was on his own, grazing and barely moving around. He looks to be an old bull that was beat up pretty bad during the rut. He had puncture wounds in his rear that were badly infected. There was a green color all the way through both hind quarters and half way up the backstraps. There were also brown and black spots in the majority of the meat, and his hip bones pushed his hide up about 2". His backstraps were about an inch thick, and his front quarters were twice the size of the rear quarters. He was missing one long, thick point up top, and had seven points that were chipped or broken. His second shovel was busted off about an inch from the base. I've got some decent sized racks at the house, and the mass on this one dwarfs all of them. I'm not sure the pictures do him justice. His beams are 50", shovel is 16" tall, and his back points are between 16-18".

Some meat stayed out there, for obvious reasons. I brought out everything that wasn't green, black or badly bruised. After cutting through some of the front quarters, the silver skin is greenish colored, and there are a lot of brown spots throughout the meat. Do I even dare eating this???

Packed out what I could and tested the deadsled on the tundra. Worked pretty good, but it now has a good sized tear from a tree root that snagged it.

I'm not sad that I shot this bull even if the meat isn't going to be salvagable. I have it at home and am going through the normal routines with it preparing it for sausage. It's taking a while since I'm trimming the nasties. I strongly believe this bull was on his last leg though, and would have suffered a while before succumbing to the winter. I have a feeling he wandered out on his own far away from their usual range to end his days.

Any meat with a green color is no good. Also yellow is a bad color to see. Sorry>>>>>>

Seen a cow moose like that last year, looked like maybe took a hit from a car on one side.

Thats a great bull, and there is nothing wrong with trophy hunting. Seems like a common thing on this forum that people have to justify shooting an animal for horns before meat. Congrats on a great hunt.

well if you hadnt got him the wolves wouldve...good job and a great bull!

Release Lake Trout

An old warrior bull for sure that obviously passed on some great genetics. Well done!

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Beautiful BULL!

Absolutely stunning. We live in a great land, where the power of everything takes ahold of you. Great story. I'm not a trophy hunter but I'm sure you hadn't had the thought of leaving it in mind. It's not your fault, that is just how things go sometimes. But if i had to say I'm sure it was his last winter,the way you described his body. Great job. Thanks for the post.

Rob

Jerry great bull congrats Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Meat always comes before horns

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Thats a great bull, and there is nothing wrong with trophy hunting. Seems like a common thing on this forum that people have to justify shooting an animal for horns before meat. Congrats on a great hunt.
    I agree, nothing wrong with trophy hunting (though I haven't done it). But the law is pretty clear in regard to meat over horns. In some hunts horns are to be left. I had a friend busted because he crossed a glacial torrent with horns first before the meat.

As for your bull Jerod; that is a nice rack, and a nice head mount. You had no way of knowing about the meat, but sounds like you put him out of a prolonged death anyway. I once shot a cow caribou for meat on the lower Nushagak which turned out to be completely full of some sort of gangrene. I could smell her as I got close to her. She had been gored somehow, was oozing pus, and was on death's door, though she had looked fine from a distance. I couldn't even finish the skinning because she was so rank. I told a game warden later about having to leave her, and he said, "No problem, you did a service.". Don't know what they would say today.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hey Jerod, let it hang well... my moose was PURPLE, yellow and every color in between this fall.. on every quarter.

when i hung it well the blood drained and so did the bruiseing... if he was fighter it will be okay..

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Some meat stayed out there, for obvious reasons. I brought out everything that wasn't green, black or badly bruised. After cutting through some of the front quarters, the silver skin is greenish colored, and there are a lot of brown spots throughout the meat. Do I even dare eating this???

Packed out what I could and tested the deadsled on the tundra. Worked pretty good, but it now has a good sized tear from a tree root that snagged it.

I'm not sad that I shot this bull even if the meat isn't going to be salvagable. I have it at home and am going through the normal routines with it preparing it for sausage. It's taking a while since I'm trimming the nasties. I strongly believe this bull was on his last leg though, and would have suffered a while before succumbing to the winter. I have a feeling he wandered out on his own far away from their usual range to end his days.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nice Bull!!! I believe you did him a service and your intentions were right. Hopefully you will get something out of him.

Thumbs up

geat bull no need to make him suffer

Jerod, you got a cabin up the haul road somewhere?! You need to change your handle to "HaulRoad Squatter" from the sounds of it!

You definately get my vote for killer of the year.

Great job dispatching that sick bull and congrat's on a great bowhunting year for you!

Taylor

-[]------->

Thanks guys! Wish I had more tags, but I think I'm done hunting on the Haul Road and I'm getting ready to break out some traps.

I just rough scored this guy and it came out to 358&4/8. I lost quite a bit from the second longest top point and the lengths of the main beams were 47&3/8 on the right and 51&7/8 on the left. I had almost 10" of deductions just because of those two things, so this guy could have been close to a 370 bull.

Mark, I'd love to have a cabin and some land up there, I really do like the area. It has been a great year for me again up there. 3 caribou (including an April cow) and 1 grizzly bear. I also shot the hell out of the ptarmigan. Thanks for the title.