Thread: Sheep Steaks

Default Sheep Steaks

I have two sheep stakes and I want to grill them. I was told me to cook it as if it was cow meat. Ok, my question is can you eat red sheep meat medium rare? Or does it need to be fully cooked?

WG, you don't want to eat those nasty things, give them to me and i'll save you the trouble of cooking them!! Seriously though, You can eat them bloody or however you like them, in my opnion they are the # 1 table fare as far as wild game goes!! Cook them like you would a nice piece of tenderloin.

I grilled up them sheep steaks tonight. Medium rare with plenty juiciness. Sheep meat is incredibly tender, but the meat is gamie. An acquired taste I suppose. Overall I really didnt care for this type of meat. I guess when you compare everything to cow its going to taste gamie.

Default Sheep steaks

Sounds like you cooked them right. Sheep meat is lean, so you don't want to overcook it. Medium rare is my preference too. I think the problem you had, is that to truly appreciate the flavor, you have to carry the whole animal a minimum of 10 miles and up and over at least one mountain. Seems to be some sort of chemical released in the sheep hunters taste buds after this exertion that makes the meat the best fare on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl
    Sounds like you cooked them right. Sheep meat is lean, so you don't want to overcook it. Medium rare is my preference too. I think the problem you had, is that to truly appreciate the flavor, you have to carry the whole animal a minimum of 10 miles and up and over at least one mountain. Seems to be some sort of chemical released in the sheep hunters taste buds after this exertion that makes the meat the best fare on the planet.
    Ditto

It also depends on the circustances of the kill and how the meat was handled. If he was wounded and running with adrenaline pumping, etc. and then fell off a 1000 ft cliff and layed there for two hours in 80 degree heat and sun before skinning.... etc, etc. He won't be as tastie as if he would have taken one in the lungs and fallen over in the cool grass in the shade at 50 degrees, skinned aand boned swiftly just before dark when the temp dropped to 20 degrees that night...etc, etc...

I suppose you appreciate the meat more when you work so hard to kill it, transport it and prepare it. It was definately the least wild game meat I have ever eaten but it wasnt for me. If I was used to wild game it probably would have tasted better.

Talking Sheep meat

See WG, I told you you wouldn't like it!! It's much better tasting while it's still quivering in the fry pan!!