Thread: Kotzebue Caribou Hunt in March?

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Kotzebue Caribou Hunt in March?

I'll be in Kotzebue March 6-14. What would be the best way to go on a caribou hunt? Or is it advisable? Never been that far up.

you just need a snowmobile and go find em. I would reccomend going with somebody who knows the area and the dangerous areas you should stay out of because of bad ice, overflow, ect... Strangerinastrangeland would be the one to ask but my family that lives up here hunts them in the spring and they just ride around on snowmachines (towing a sled of course) and find them. Not much fat on them that time of year though.

Is there someone I could rent a snowmachine from?

cjustinm is mostly right. Caribou move alot and you ride and find them. If you know someone,especcially a hunter, we ask around and locate them that way, with a good idea where to go.

However March Females are FAT with up to a couple inches of fat at that. The babyinside is still very small, or if the female is baren, not at all.
    Not much fat compared to a fall Bull, but after a ong winter, its GOOD

We specificly hunt Females then, before the calf growth excellerates and uses up all that fat.

If my printer could still "Talk" to my computer, Id draw you a picture of how to identify fat females, or at least females in general, because some confuse them with small bulls who have also kept their antlers.
    I just cant get a hand drawn picture on.
    That might make a good post later.

March caribou Hunting, Its well worth doing.

Man, cjustinm, I cant go ANYWHERE without bumping into another relative of yours~~LOL!!~~, and you probly dont realize, but your surrounded by mine ~~HAHAHA!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Arrow Free camp for your use in Kotzebue

It come with 80 acres, tents, cabin, outhouses, free gas, and a nice opportunity to help others while you're helping yourself:

http://www.adn.com/2834/story/977633.html

wow, that camp is a good idea. I live here and this is the first i've heard about it. I'll have to check it out, sounds fun.

The camp is fairly new.
    Theres a system in place that funds hunters to feed elders "Hunt for elders" (LOL! Oh how that could be misinterpreted)
    Ive done such for years.
    Maniilaq association works that.This is an idea that expands on that and distributes food to those who need it, and that number of people has gotten pretty big in the last couple years.
    Food or fuel is a very hard choice....I use fuel to get food, and heat with wood.
    Now theres a place beside your house to take the meats too, and folks to process those meats if ou dont know how...and the'll teach you too, so everybody wins; they eat, you hunt, and learn more skills of the Hunter.

Awsome , if you ask me.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

lol...hunt for elders....i can hide by the AC im sure i could get at least one but whats the seasonal limit?

Careful buckshot! I bet some elders could bag you!

Thanks FamilyMan, this is just what I was looking for. I know what I'm doing in March, goin' online now to make reservations. It's my plan to move to Kotz in 2011 for the Maniilaq Ass. (oops! I better spell it out, Association) My trip in March is to meet some people I'll hopefully be working with. I can certainly extend for something like this.

well AK drop me a pm when you come up. as far as renting machines...not sure on that one, someone here at the hospital might have an extra. definately no rental place but ya never know what you might find up here. as far as elders go your right, respect for elders is #1 up here so i will retract my previous joke and yes im sure some could and probably want to bag me.

Didn't mean to imply any would WANT to bag you, just that they COULD! I'll give you a PM when the time gets closer.

Thumbs up today's paper

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    Thanks FamilyMan, this is just what I was looking for.
    I'm glad that will work out well for you, and with a bit of luck, also for the elders and others there. It looked like a win win win sorta thing.

I had just read that ADN article in today's paper so it was fresh in my mind when I read your post; perfect timing!

Arrow rental

I'd pimp out my snowmobiles and sleds...if you come up just send me a pm ahead of time.