Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowa Hunter GTX 10" on sale

Default Lowa Hunter GTX 10" on sale

After 3 solid hunting season in a pair of these Lowa Hunter GTXs I am more and more impressed with them. My current pair are not worn out yet, but I have been planning on buying a replacement set when they come on sale again in before Lowa decideds to "improve" or change these.

So Shoebuy has a fall special coupon code of "FALL" that gives you 20% off in addition to the 10% off of the new customer discount that takes the price from $400 down to $288 plus free shipping to my door. So one I finally run my current pair into the ground I'll be set with another pair ready to go. Just thought some folks might want to know.

http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-hunter-gtx/320860

Just type in FALL in the coupon code area in check out, but first sign up to register to be a new customer.

Excellent post, I cant beleive they had 13 wide in Tibets, usually have to go direct to Lowa for those. Thanks for the heads up on the savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    After 3 solid hunting season in a pair of these Lowa Hunter GTXs I am more and more impressed with them. My current pair are not worn out yet, but I have been planning on buying a replacement set when they come on sale again in before Lowa decideds to "improve" or change these.

So Shoebuy has a fall special coupon code of "FALL" that gives you 20% off in addition to the 10% off of the new customer discount that takes the price from $400 down to $288 plus free shipping to my door. So one I finally run my current pair into the ground I'll be set with another pair ready to go. Just thought some folks might want to know.

Just type in FALL in the coupon code area in check out, but first sign up to register to be a new customer.
    they are on sale at schnee's in boseman, mt as well.
    happy trails.
    jh

THe pic in your link is the old version, they changed the boots last year. If you click on the Tibets on Shoebuys website you can see the changes in the ankle section. Removed some of the excess material and added a better tab on the tongue for stability, preventys the bunching in that area, A+ modification to these boots in my opinion. I wonder which boots you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    THe pic in your link is the old version, they changed the boots last year. If you click on the Tibets on Shoebuys website you can see the changes in the ankle section. Removed some of the excess material and added a better tab on the tongue for stability, preventys the bunching in that area, A+ modification to these boots in my opinion. I wonder which boots you will get.
    Not sure. Shoebuy is who I bought my boots from 3 years ago with the same pic. Never looked close enough if the pic matches my boots. Only hope that regardless of the "new" or old version that it is the same boots I currently run.

... discount that takes the price from $400 down to $288 plus free shipping to my door...
    Or, if you're size 8, buy a new pair from me!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Or, if you're size 8, buy a new pair from me!
    Yeah well being the GIANT of our family I can't quite squeeze into them.

I have a pair of Meindl Canadians and REALLY like them. However, the stitching in the tongue has finally failed (6 yrs?). New boots are in order before my next sheep hunt.

Do you know how the Meindls would compare to the Lowa Hunter GTXs? The two boots look very similar. Thanks.

Default meindl's versus lowa's

Jpost,

I've worn both and I sent my meindl's back after one hunt. Bought the Lowa's 3 season's ago and simply the best boot I have ever worn. My buddy and I both had the exact same boot in meindl's and they were VERY different! There obvious wasn't much quality control in whoever made them for Cabelas as the tongues were stiched at different places, one was different than the other, etc. The Lowa GTX was the best boot I have ever bought. Took it from the box to the sheep mountains with no break in.

I'm probably going to replace my Lowa's next year after a solid 5 years on my current pair, but I'm not a fan of the high cuffs on the hunters. I prefer one just a couple of inches shorter, personally.

Is the Lowa Tibet essentially the same boot but just a little shorter??

Quote Originally Posted by watkinsba View Post
    Is the Lowa Tibet essentially the same boot but just a little shorter??
    Basically they are the same from what I gather. I just like the extra freeboard with gaiters when crossing creeks.

Default Tibet v Hunter

I have the Hunter, and have tried on the Tibet.

Same sole, same rubber rand. As far as I can tell the only difference is the extra height and the addition of insulation on the Hunter.

I picked up a pair of LOWA Tibet GTX. Started at $339 and got them for $244. Good Look!!

Can't wait to get them and try them on.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

has any one used these Civetta? hard shell or the red extream? http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-civetta/119641/282063

i am looking at the built in ankel support they have.. and wonder how they would be for packing
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so that were all aware Beaver sports in Fairbanks now has 5 or six styles of Lowas on the shelf.. i tried on the Merrill's and really like those.. for support, though they are short in the back for support. i can see where some would have trouble coming down a hill in the and having it bite the Achilles tendon

and a pair of the Sherpa platics... i think if the liner can be molded a bit i could get some serious support there... as my heel was shattered in 93 i walk out of leathers... my Danners i bought in late AUG early Sept, are already sluffing to the side at the ankle.

any one with the story on the Civittas i would love to hear from..

thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Lowa Civettas...

I have posted some on the Civettas. I searched and copy/pasted some of my posts here regarding the Civettas. Bottom line is I like them for certain stuff. But, a guy needs a good pair of leathers as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Well, after slogging up and down a creek last august sheep hunting, hauling out sheep for 4 days, 15 miles from the truck, with major sloshfoot and heavy, soaked, soft leather boots I decided to try some plastics so I can use lightweight hippers when needed. I tried on some Koflachs here in Fairbanks but the shell just doesn't fit my foot. I know how too properly fit downhill skiboots and apply the same logic. The Koflach shell is to narrow at the front and too wide at the heel for my foot. Problem is there is nowhere else in Fairbanks besides Beaver Sports that carries plstics and they only carry Koflachs so I could not try out any other boots. So, after much reading I decided to try some Lowa Civetta's LowaCivettas. showbuy.com carries them and they ship to AK for free, have free return shipping and between the online discount coupon and first time buy I got them for 190 bucks. That's what I paid for my leathers 4 years ago. Well, I got lucky in that they fit my my foot! I got my footbeds dialed in and wore them around the house, put on a 75lb pack, etc. About as much as I could do before getting them dirty and thus committing to the purchase. Well, the first time out I hauled my 75lb pack up and down for 1.5 hours in 75-80 degree heat and did not get any blisters! The boots actually fit. Well, I do have a bump/growth on one of my heals that got a very small slight blister so I will have to adjust for this. But figured I would. It's an issue with my foot in any boots I wear so it's not the fit of the boots. My current leather boots really tore up my feet several years ago during the breakin period and that was with no weight. I know that plastics need to fit out of the box so I am very pleased so far.

I have since been on three more hikes with a 75lb pack and am still good to go. I made a few adjustments and the bump on my foot is doing ok.

I like the liner much better than the Koflach liner. The koflach liner seemed kind of cheap to me. But, I like the plastic bellows better on the Koflach shell. The lowa has the plastic bellows but doesn't go up as high on the shell. It switches over to a couple pieces of leather that fold over each other. I think that they will be fine with gators. I just would'nt want to stand in water for any length of time over the top of the bellows, might get some seepage. But, completely sweat soaked wet liners dry at room temp in a few hours so if you do "go over the top", you can get them dry pretty quick. I like the size of the Lowas. Not as big and clunky as the Koflachs. I will however use different laces. The flat ones that came with the boots are already showing a little fraying in spots.

I have a set of Cabellas lightweight stocking foot hippers with neoprene booties and if I pull out the lowa liners I can put my foot beds in the hippers and slip into the shell and it feels pretty good. Good enough for some wading or creek sloshing for a ways I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have the Lowa Civetta plastics and they are sized UK which is one size smaller than US. So make sure if you are ordering UK or US size. I ordered UK 9 cuz that's how the retailer was selling them. It says UK9 and US10 on the box. I'm not sure if the size the leather Lowas the same way but they might.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The main thing is that the shell fits your foot. Whether it be Koflach, Scarpa, Lowa or some other. For my feet the Koflachs don't fit, to wide in the heel and narrow in the toe. But, the Lowa Civettas fit perfect. I bought them from Shoebuy.com so they came with a 30 day return policy and free shipping both ways. If the plastics don't fit out of the box then they will never fit. I like mine for the rugged terrain but they aren't as nice to hike in on approaches. The fore/aft stiffness does not bother me that much. But, what I notice is the lateral "forces". Like walking up a river bed on round rock. As the boot rolls to the side all the force is transferred to the lower leg which pushes the knee out or in. This is because the ankles are so stiff. I think it does make my knees a little tired. It's actually not a problem though, it's a feature! Leather boots will give some, the plastics are not supposed to. Now, in steep rugged stuff, with a heavy pack, scree, side hilling, edging, etc. I really like them. I do notice some discomfort above my ankles after a few days because, once again, force is transferred to the upper part of the boot. I talked to someone around here who lines the upper part of the shell with neoprene for a little padding, I may try that. But, with a leather boot side hilling you get ankle roll. It's worse when the leather is wet since it's soft. I like my Civettas but do not see them as a replacement for my old Soloman leathers which I need to replace this year, should have bought 2 or 3 pair 5 years ago. A guy needs both. I'm considering trying some of these Merrel Expedition They have a plastic lateral support in the upper and a nice sticky sole. One thing I don't like about the Civettas is the generic Vibram sole. The ContraGrip sole on my Solomans stick like glue, especially wet river rocks. I've had to adjust to that with the Vibrams.

thanks Perry, i did see your previous post on that and shot you a pm the other day... i also tried the Merrils... at Beaver sports they are nice to wear. your sheep hunt gave them a thumbs down though... did you have any issues with them repairing the eyelet that broke?

that lateral Ankle support is what i am definitely after. this last moose season was a killer for me being warm and having to spend a ton of time alpine moose hunting... another 1200 foot and we would of been sheep hunting ( crazy days!)

i wear a 10.5 extra wide. and was able to fit both the Lowas and the Merrill's in 11 wide comfortably enough. ... as i have very limited motion now in my right i would like to find one that will form to it and allow me the support i need to pack a critter. i already spend several hundred a year on boots to wear out.. i would like to find a pair solely for hunting and have them last 2-3 maybe even 4 season....

meet on face book here

Vince, I did not want the Merrils even if they would have repaired them. The eyelets were some kind of cheap metal and proprietary in the design. Beaver Sports took them back and gave me an in store credit which was fine with me. They since got in some LaSportiva Glaciers in my size and they fit my foot so I bought them at a 20 or 30% off sale a while back. Years ago I tried on LaSportivas and the last just did not fit me. These are different.

I replied to your pm. Give me a call and you can come check out my Civettas and see what you think of them. Shoebuy is risk free if they still do 30 day refunds including return shipping.

Default how often does shoe buy have a sale?

Have Meindel canadians that have bit the dust after 6 seasons of hard use and looking to try the LOWA's.

Tried to to use the "fall" discount 2 weeks a go to no avail, willing to wait for another sale, how does one hear about the discount?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast