Thread: ice scratchers

Default ice scratchers

was wondering if anybody has them on their sleds, and is it worth it,

I think they are one the most important accessories for a mountain sled if you do any trail riding at all...which most areas require riding at least a little ways when heading for the "steep and deep". When riding into the backcountry in places like Eureka, Petersville, Lost Lake, etc you will see your engine temps drop 30 degrees within a few feet (saving your engine) and you also keep your hyfax lubed. There are also two basic styles, the hard spring style that mount on your skid and a new cable style (Slide-kicks) that came out a few years ago and allow you to use reverse without picking them up.

do scratchers work on glare ice? I plan on getting some for my sled but was wondering if they dig into ice to chip it up or just skid along the surface. definately going to get some for trail riding though i hear they work great.

Scratchers should be a standard factory item.

If you run trails install scratchers. I run RSI brand. These are a heavy spring that bolt to the skid rails. They dig into hard packed/icy snow extremely well and into glare ice pretty good. Good enough to keep running cool. An excellent $50 investment.

Yes, they work on glare ice! They also will do a number on your plywood trailer deck if left down. I have Holz Racing Products on my 07 RMK Dragon http://www.holzracingproducts.com/sh...ratchers-p-851 and am going to try Slidekicks on our 2010 RMK http://www.slidekicks.net/ They are reverse compatible but I don't know how well they will work on ice.

well if you try em on your rmk give me a pm and tell me how they do. I have a couple '10 rmk's i want to put some scratchers on.

They are a must have for sure for anything other than powder. The harder the surface, the better they work and the more that they are needed. Like was said already, they not only drop engine temps to the point you will never overheat, You don't have to work worry about melting and sticking hyfax any more.

does having to remove the front idler wheels have any negative effects?

Depends on the geometry of the skid but you'll probably just get a bit more hyfax wear at that spot. For a 2010 RMK you should be able to bolt on a set of scratchers just behind the front bogey. Use those machined kidney slots in the rails and you're good. You may need to drill additional hole to anchor the short arm of the springs--just follow the installation instructions

Default slidekicks

put slidekicks on our 2 RMK 700 2 years ago and they work great, stopped overheating . they work on all ice and hardpack and are reverse friendly

sounds good, guess I will pick up a set for my 07 summit

SLP scratchers mount on the ski. That's the best place for them. More effective cooling and you won't need to remove any idlers.

Thumbs up

got'em/get'em!!!! we got them on are 800 & 700 rmks.
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

The Holz break too often.
    SLP on the ski work to an extent, but better are the Over-The-Top brand or others that mount on the rail. Mount as far forward as you can get them so the kicked up snow/ice gets into the suspension/track.
    They really are the shiznitz.
    There are some now that use a carbide tip on a spring cable that are supposed to be even better, but haven't seen any write-ups on them yet.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I've used the spring-steel type and they work well but if you suffer from crs, it gets expensive. Not only do they break if you back up with them down, I've broken the ends off while loading the sled on the trailer with them down.

I'll have to try the slide-kicks when the inevitable strikes again.

Thumbs up Both!

The Sidekicks are more durable but are a little heavyer and don't stay on the rail as well and the spring type kick up a little more snow. Both work well. We use the Sidekicks on our VK"s during grooming runs. And I use the spring type on my Apex.
    It just depends on how forgetful you are!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Default Woody's

Have the frt skis pre drilled and throw a couple of studs in them .

I ran ski and track scratchers in tandem on my old AC 800 mountain sled. My next sled will have both as well. No hyfax wear problems and never got hot

I have the cable type scratchers on my Widetrak LX. I havent used them yet (installed in the off season). I was hauling my buddy (245lb.), two freight sleds at around 450 lbs each, and myself 215 lbs.................guess which little red light came on every 15 minutes?
    Hopefully I never see that little overheat light again this season.

I have ran the Yukon Quest trail end to end the last two years & have mounted multiple styles of scratchers. (Two types each year).
    First- high speeds will cause all scratchers to break at the spring roll.
    Second- The ski mounted styles will "cage" themselves back on the skis providing no action.
    The newer "spring-steel type" with the replaceable carbide tip seems the way to go (with a sno-go that has reverse). I spoke with a lodge owner that has had this type for 2 years (reverse on his sled) and won't have anything else. (thousands of miles proven). Also Polaris offers this type for the Mnt. Dragon. I plan on trying a set on my new widetrack. Please post if you run with these.