Thread: Putting two single cats together???

Default Putting two single cats together???

I love my single cat and have been wanting another so I can take a friend. I also want a larger one to take the wife or daughter or wife and daughter on short one day trips. I got to thinking (usually get me in trouble) that if I had two single cats why couldn't I build a frame that would accomadate both sets of pontoons into a lager multi fisher vessel? It would be longer than I would like at about 16+ feet but was wondering if this has been done and what might be some design issues? Remember this is for day tripping or just taking the wife out on the lake for some stocker fly fishing? I really enjoyed the thread on building your own frame and the advice that was given.

Thanks for your thoughts,

George

Default seems I remember

somewhere that 2 single cats had been joined through the use of a sleeve to join the tubes and a small(ish) frame that was added (bolted?) in between the single cat frames.

The cats were positioned overlapping the tips of one set of tubes with the tails of the other and the sleeve installed over partially deflated tubes. Inflate the tubes which now holds the sleeve in place which in theory makes 2 long tubes instead of 4 short ones.

The frame addition shouldn't need any explanation.

My disclaimer is: Never seen one in use, only a photo or two and never heard any reports on how it worked.

I would think that it "could" work fairly "OK" in calm water. Been thinking about putting something like this together for the wife and I...

Just great, now there's another forgotten project to add to the list...

I also have seen (pictures only) two short single cats strung together end to end. Someone on eBay was peddling them last year. But have you ever looked at WaterWolf boats? http://www.waterwolf.com/default.aspx

They used to use shorter tubes for all their boats, but put them together in all sorts of configurations. Some with 4, 6 and even 8 tubes, and usually staggered to make longer crafts.

The problem I see from using an extended frame to hold two tubes end to end would be frame rigidity.The frame would have to be be quite beefy to keep it from buckling in the middle when in between waves. But if you did it like WaterWolf used to, you could have the front two tubes set 4' apart, and the rear two set 6 apart and overlap the front two by a few feet. Two 8' long boats would end up being 12-13' long. Easier to keep rigid, and still plenty of space for two people.

Default what he said.....

Jim did a bit better job explaining it than I did.

Thanks for the responces, I am thinking on just using the pontoons of the single cats with a frame made to fit. Jim, thanks for the heads up on the stress points between the fore and aft pontoons. Although I don't plan to do any frisky water (with the wife) and just plan to do lakes and valley streams you never know what you will find.

If I do build this maybe doubling up on the horizontal runs?

George