Thread: cables

Default cables

I am setup with an outboard style cable for steering on my inboard with 3 stage hamilton. IN the late fall after it starts freezing my steering trottle and bucket cable freeze solid till spring. I like to use the but for hunting at least till late november. I dried them out the garage real good for about 3 weeks and tried working some oil into them today but they must be sealed pretty good. Didnt get much in past the cable ends. My goal was to dispalce any moisture getting in there. I pretty sure its freezing close to the ends of the cables and not alll the way thru. Im half tempted to soak them in a hot bucket of no1 diesel.

This is what I have found to work on sealed cables but never tried it on the boat, don't know why it wouldn't work.

Pressure pot with Marvel Mystery Oil, a hose from the pressure pot to the cable, slide the cable into the hose far enough to clamp it to the outer housing of the cable, add about 30lbs of pressure to the pot, move cable untill the oil weeps out the other end.

Some cables have a nylon inner linning that will swell and make the cable unmovable when oil soaked, make sure you don't do this to one of those.

If you have to replace the cables the best ones i have found are the green Cablecraft cables, the only place i know to get them is Rose's Marine in Gloucester,Ma. I have them on my bowpicker and you can almost tie knots in them and they still slide freely

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    I am setup with an outboard style cable for steering on my inboard with 3 stage hamilton. IN the late fall after it starts freezing my steering trottle and bucket cable freeze solid till spring. I like to use the but for hunting at least till late november. I dried them out the garage real good for about 3 weeks and tried working some oil into them today but they must be sealed pretty good. Didnt get much in past the cable ends. My goal was to dispalce any moisture getting in there. I pretty sure its freezing close to the ends of the cables and not alll the way thru. Im half tempted to soak them in a hot bucket of no1 diesel.
    On my Wooly the cable is on the inside of the boat and can not get water in it unless I sink my boat. Where does yours run?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default froze up

We had the same problem with this on the delta clearwater this morning. Not sure what the temperature was but the throttle was locked up super stiff. We end up just working the throttle back and forth until it finally came free. Really was the only options since we need to get back to the boat launch. Anybody else have any other ideas on how to prevent or solve the problem once it happens??

Convert to stick steer! You will never go back to a wheel.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Convert to stick steer! You will never go back to a wheel.
    It would have been nice if they had discovered stick steering years ago so all of us that bought used boats would have it now! I do think it is a great idea but won't work on all boats do to underfloor layouts otherwise more would be switching over to it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    On my Wooly the cable is on the inside of the boat and can not get water in it unless I sink my boat. Where does yours run?
    BTW my boat was born in 81.
    The steering 2 years old and the throttle and bucket cable are original 1981.
    My cables run from under the dash down a 3inch pvc tube that lays on the hull under the floorboards. Im using volvo penta brand helm and cable. Its all I could get in town at the time.
    My boat gets rained about 75 percent of the time I go out and it doesnt have a top. I do have a boat tent to park under though. My guess is its condensation or just ambient moisture getting in. My engine compartment is vented to the atmosphere at the transom so rain and water spray get there quite a bit. Just trying to find a way get some good freeze fighting lube into the cable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wonder if the water under your floor boards is soaking into the cable? Mine runs under the gunnel along the drivers side then back into the transom and hooks to the steering linkage there. Haven't had any issues and I have spent plenty of time out in all sorts of weather including one run in Dec last year when it was well below freezing.