Thread: pellet guns

Default pellet guns

How are pellet guns for hunting Ptarmigan? vs. a .22?

Less range usually but they do a pretty good job on grouse. It also tends to bug the neighbors less here in town too.

What do you use rifle or pistol? Also, what kind: Gamo, Crossman, Benjirman(?) etc....? I've been thinking about getting a pistol, but just haven't done it yet. I'm more worried about accuracy and sound. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I've got a Crosman Quest .177 spring action that I wouldn't hesitate to use for ptarmies or grouse. It fires PBA ammo at 1200 fps and is very accurate. They tend to be a little picky about where you grip the forend though - it's important to know that spring action rifles are sensitive to vibration and thus can be more or less accurate depending on how you hold them. As long as you're aware of that, you can experiment a little and find the best hold for accuracy.

Air guns have come a long way in the last ten years, and are very useful for hunting small game. They can also be very expensive, depending on what you're after. My Crosman was $150.00 new, and I bought an aftermarket trigger. It's a tack driver now.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have a daisy break barrel air gun that shoots about 900fps and it is great for head shots on grouse. I also have one of these

I've also got the Gamo Viper Express. It's a .22 cal. smooth bore that fires little plastic shotshells or regular .22 cal. pellets with the included adapter. Curiously, in spite of the smooth bore it is one of the most accurate air rifles I've ever owned. Even with just the shotgun style bead front sight I can put pellet after pellet into the same hole from about 30 feet.

In my opinion, the shotshells are just a novelty though. They really don't have enough power for anything larger than Alaskan mosquitos.

The .22 pellets on the other hand - crono'ed at ~700 FPS means they have enough punch for grouse sized game.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I'm using a Beeman R-7 in 177. It does 1/4" groups at 50 feet with match pellets, and with a rest I've taken out red squirrels with head shots a whole lot further. Furthest was a lasered 43 yards. If you can hit ptarmies in the head they're toast, no matter what you're using. That scoped R-7 rivals my best 22 rimfire for the job.

Default Crosman

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have a daisy break barrel air gun that shoots about 900fps and it is great for head shots on grouse. I also have one of these

LuJon, how do you like the Crosman .177 pistol? I have a RWS rifle and have thought one of these would be nice. Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have the Beeman @1000 FPS and it take them out of the tree head shot or not.. it helps to hit them off the wing though...

they will get up and run though.. the squirels hit behind the shoulder all are dead with it.. we use the hollow points and the very pointed traget tips.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i just bought a crossman phantom .177 cal, sighted it in at 20yrds and drving tacks, awesome gun comes with a scope great gun for the price! also shoots PBA at 1200 fps.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default plenty of punch

In my youth, before dad would let me carry the ole' .22 on my after school trapline I used a crossman pellet gun-model 2100 I think. That thing was nails on squirrel and rabbits, usually going all the way through them. It also dispatched quite a few racoons and a beaver or two that didn't go down the drowning wire.

One night dad and I were making a run down to where I stashed a beaver since I couldn't manage it and a couple of 'coons on my bike with the rest of my gear. 5 coons ran across the road, when we stopped they reversed directions and made for a culvert leading towards the crick. Dad jumped out and ran to one end and I to the other. I shined the old everready plastic light in the culvert after slapping it so the thing would turn on. I saw them all bunched up. Dad proceeded to block up the other end with some lumber from the truck. The old Crossman came out and worked like a charm. Dad was surprised. Ten pumps per shot and seven shots later we were looking for a piece of irrigation pipe to push out the fur At $20 -30 a pelt I was one happy 11 yr old.

That was in the '80's and that thing was accurate, and deadly. I'm sure they have come a long ways and are even better now.

I am not sure about the new 1377 pistol. I like mine but I got it in the mid 90's. I haven't looked at them in years but they are still around. They may be junk these days though.

My cousins had the old powerline 880 which was a great 10 pump back in the late 80's the one from their childhood still sits by my uncles back door. My oldest cousin picked up one for each for his kids recently in a moment of nostalgia, while still a functional rifle capable of taking grouse beside country roads it is now mostly cheap plastic components instead of the quality it once was. I would be nervous that the 1377 received the same treatment.

I use a Gamo for shooting around the house. Nothing is safe! The model I have has 1200 fps and I use the hunting pellets that have a small brass BB in the center of the lead - very powerful. Wish the gun was a bit lighter, but it's so accurate I'll live with it!
    I've taken it out for birds and bunnies and it works great for anything within 50 yards.

I am not sure about the new 1377 pistol. I like mine but I got it in the mid 90's. I haven't looked at them in years but they are still around. They may be junk these days though.
    LuJon,

I've got your crossman's "younger brother". It looks exactly the same, and is accurate (if you can get around the bent front sight post) and probably about the most powerful air pistol out there, but I suspect they were made better back when you bought yours. It has a plastic front blade-type sight that is bent to the left. I have to use "Kentucky windage" to hit anything with it.

Default 1377

My cousins had the old powerline 880 which was a great 10 pump back in the late 80's the one from their childhood still sits by my uncles back door. My oldest cousin picked up one for each for his kids recently in a moment of nostalgia, while still a functional rifle capable of taking grouse beside country roads it is now mostly cheap plastic components instead of the quality it once was. I would be nervous that the 1377 received the same treatment.
    Yes, they are probably not the same as yours. They do have synthetic grips and forearm. Since it is a rifled barrel in a handgun in Michigan, they have to be registered the same as any other handgun. Not sure if it is worth the trouble for a pellet gun. Some crazy laws down here. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ValdezGuns View Post
    it works great for anything within 50 yards.
    Those brown bears and 70" moose better stay beyond 50 yds!

LMAO!

OK...it works great for anything smaller than a dog in that range...

I heard a old timer telling stories just the other day about his bear stands and one time just to prove it would work he took out a black bear with one shot with a pellet gun. I have a 177 that I like to shoot across my shop in winter for little breaks. Its great cheap fun and not loud.