Thread: Tplo

Default Tplo

Does anybody out there have any insight/wisdom/experiences to share about TPLO surgery with a hunting lab.

Our lab, Autumn, is 6 years old, very fit and still full on energy. We have spoken with a surgeon and are seriously considering the operation.

I have heard of at least one case of vet. recommending 'letting it go' and restricting the dog's activity somewhat to where things healed up and the dog came back to having a pretty good active hunting life.

We would like to hear people's experiences with or without the surgery after a lab has been diagnosed with a torn ALC.

Thx

This type of surgery is more like a specialty.
    Ask the vet at hand how much experience they have in doing this.
    Most vets will refer you to someone with more experience.

I haven't had to go through this myself with my own dogs or any clients of mine either.
    I do know of several retriever club members that have. If you wish I can see if I can put you in direct contact with them. Let me know if you do I can contact them and let them know that you will be calling them.

Baron

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn Gale View Post
    Does anybody out there have any insight/wisdom/experiences to share about TPLO surgery with a hunting lab.

Our lab, Autumn, is 6 years old, very fit and still full on energy. We have spoken with a surgeon and are seriously considering the operation.

I have heard of at least one case of vet. recommending 'letting it go' and restricting the dog's activity somewhat to where things healed up and the dog came back to having a pretty good active hunting life.

We would like to hear people's experiences with or without the surgery after a lab has been diagnosed with a torn ALC.

Thx
    I had Dr. Jim Hagee in Chugiak, do a TPLO on my young dog Missy 3 years ago when she was 11 months old. So far, it has gone well. At almost 4 she's running fine. I had Dr. Hagee do an x-ray of the knee a year ago and at that time there was no arthritis in the joint. I expect she'll have a long field trial career. I won't be surprised if I have to put her on rimadyl and also limit her training when she's older. No one can say now.