Thread: 308 bullet

Default 308 bullet

I am going on a whitetail hunt to montana next month and was wondering if you experts could recomment a good bullet to use for a 308.
    Thanks

For whitetails in my .308 I usually use a Hornady SP. I've used Corelokts, Winchester Power Points and plain old Federal "blue box" soft points. On game as lightly built as whitetails at .308 Winchester velocities they all work pretty well. The good news is that most of the ordinary .308 bullets are designed around 30-06 and .308 velocities for game like whitetails so it will be hard to pick a real loser.

A mistake a lot of folks make is using a bullet thats too tough for both whitetails and the moderate .308 velocity and that really limits expansion. I tried some 180gr Fail Safes on deer when they first came out- I got little expansion and deer seemed to run forever before dropping when plain old cheap stuff killed them in their tracks.

IMHO no need for fancy bullets for this one- a decent conventional bullet in regular load will work like a champ if you do your part.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The good news is that most of the ordinary .308 bullets are designed around 30-06 and .308 velocities for game like whitetails so it will be hard to pick a real loser.

IMHO no need for fancy bullets for this one- a decent conventional bullet in regular load will work like a champ if you do your part.
    I agree with hodgeman on this. Use whatever your rifle shoots best in the 150-165 grain weight range and go deer hunting. I prefer the 165s, and have had excellent success with the Hornady 165 SP. Right now it can be a little difficult to find a particular bullet, but in the 308 Winchester almost any bullet will perform perfectly on whitetail deer with correct shot placement. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how things turn out.

I've pretty much stuck to Nosler partitions, and specifically the 165 when using the 308, for whitetails and blacktails. The partition isn't really needed for broadside, but for fast shooting in close cover that partition sure tears up a lot less meat on raking shots. No other reason for the partition on deer, but for close shots and angling shots it's tops.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've pretty much stuck to Nosler partitions, and specifically the 165 when using the 308, for whitetails and blacktails. The partition isn't really needed for broadside, but for fast shooting in close cover that partition sure tears up a lot less meat on raking shots. No other reason for the partition on deer, but for close shots and angling shots it's tops.
    hi bb: i agree with you on the partitions, and they have been the "premium bullet" for many years.

for deer though, i don't want them to travel and so use core-locts or win pp's. their fast expansion has (in my experience) a faster kill. in the day, before folks wanted 100% expansion PLUS 100% weight retention, they were considered to be an excellent bullet.

for me, they still are.
    happy trails.
    jh

I spent a fair amount of time chasing Montana deer in my younger days. The .30 bullet I used was the Speer 150 SP. It shot well in my '06 and did a great job on Mule and Whitetail.

As stated by other posters just about any bullet will work for deer in the 30 cal. I have used just about all of the bullets that were on the market as of 3 or 4 years ago and they all work pretty good. As BB said and I agree for the occasional raking shot a better constructed bullet will give better penetration and tear up less meat. I wouldn't normally take a rear end shot on a deer, but there have been times when a less than ideal first shot was made and the Texas heart shot needed to be taken, in this scenario it is nice to not have to worry about a bullet breaking up on the pelvis or stoppin in the gut. All that being said one that I have had great luck with and has a good combo of expansion, penetration and weight retention is the Speer Grand Slam. The Grand Slam may be my idea of the perfect deer bullet, at least it has always given good results to me and my father. I have had 2 different GS bullet penetrate deer end to end, one south to north and the other north to south.

Default 308

Thanks for the input, my main concern is a bullet that will do as little damage to meat as possible.
    Thanks

Partitions are dandy for that. Using a 165 from a 308, I whapped a large buck right at the base of the tail at around 30 yards as it blasted straight away from me. I recovered the bullet from the point of the brisket after it pretty well mushed the lungs and cut the aorta. Recovered weight was 134 grains, and I lost about an inch of liver all around the hole and about half a cup of meat from each rump roast. There were bone fragments in the back of one backstrap, but the other was unaffected. If I'd been careful I probably could have cleaned up the back of the backstrap enough to eat, but instead I whacked off about 2 inches.

That buck hit the ground so hard and fast, it's nose cut about a 3 foot furrow in the ground. There were four other guys in the hunting camp that year, and after helping me skin and later butcher it, they all switched to partitions. Can't remember what they had been shooting before, but they were as impressed as I was at the lack of meat loss with such a radical shot.