Thread: Opinions Please

Cool Opinions Please

Just wanted some opinions on the .338 win. mag. What game would you use it on? Im from Texas(the greatest country in America,thats right i said'country') and am stationed in Alaska for the next 3 years, and i know its a pretty good rifle for here but would it be good for Texas game? Also, what do yall think about Weatherby Vanguard rifles? I just got one in 338 win mag havnt shot it yet. Can't wait to though!!!! Opinions please!

Thanx,
    The King

The King, now that you're in the biggest state in our great nation, its a good thing you have a big gun such as the .338. You can use a .338 on game as small as a 70 lb. Black Tail Deer, up to Brown Bear. As far what you can use it for in Texas, you might have better luck asking a Texan, cuz this Alaska Boy doesn't know.
    Good luck, welcome to Alaska and remember....at low tide, Alaska is Three times the size of Texas.

Yamahain'

Default Slow Down, Big Fella...

Hey the King,

Easy there, big guy! I know you love Tejas....but after 3 years in the vast Alaskan wilderness, you may never want to go back!

As for a .338 in Texas....I live in Maryland, bought a .338 WinMag (Ruger Model 77 MkII) for hunting moose and bear in Alaska. If I get a lack bear tag out here, I'll use my .338 even tho my 30-06 is plenty big enough....the .338 is just a blast to shoot! It's probably too big for deer (especially those little Texas critters), but you could still use it if you wanted.

Good luck, ENJOY the next three years, and stay safe.

Michael

There is no question that the 338 win. is a good cartridge, but since most of the game in the "greatest country in America" is behind a high fence or just outside of a blind bated in w/ corn or biologic, I figure a shot behind the ear w/ a 22 mag would be sufficient for any 125lb whitetail.

Unhappy

Well, little badger, out of your cage are you?

Just because the big state of Texas is mostly privately owned by people doesn't mean that all of their wild life is contained in cages for easy pickins. You've obviously never hunted dry country mulies in the big bend country. Not exactly fish in a barrel.

I consider you comments inflammatory, don't know if KofB does also, but it would be best to remain civil. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Murphy; 12-04-2006 at 21:57.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Tejas

Spent most of my life hunting in Texas. Don't have a fence on my lil ranch either though Alaska is my home now for the past 9 years.

The .338 is a bit large for hill country white tails but it will do the job for sure. It is a very good caliber balistic wise and is able to handle pretty much any game in N. America. I've never owned a Weatherby but from what I understand they are fine rifles (even the cheapest rifle will usually out shoot the best shot IMHO)

Have fun and thank you for your service. And if you are ever in the Great State of Texas the same time I am, you are welcome to come turkey hunting on the Double Bubba Ranch

Bill

Here in the last fronteer you can use your 338 on anything you want but there are a number of game animals that can and will eat your lunch...for starters...then you if you are not careful. I understand because Texans are so soft and chewy, bears consider then a delicacy. A 243 should be more than sufficient for anything you might chase in Texas.

Easy guys. He's just proud of where he's from and had a few questions.

Don't they have hogs in Texas? I understand they are pretty tough. Also, can't you get 180's for a 338? Lots of guys shoot 06's with 180's for deer where I am from in Montana. I would think that if you can only buy one gun to hunt with here and still want to use in Texas a 338 would be a good choice. But not the ONLY choice. 06, 300 winmag, 300 or 325 wsm would work good to. You can kill whatever you want in Alaska with that 338.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

In my book, dead is dead. There may be a lower limit on sensible calibers for particular game, but I don't see any uppers. If you like a gun, us it. I regularly use my 458 Win and 375 H&H with reduced loads for snowshoe hare. So sue me!

Specifical to the 338, I used the heck out of mine for elk and mule deer, coastal blacktail, and even one antelope when I lived in the lower 48 in the 60's and 70's. Nope it wasn't the ideal gun and I took lots of ribbing. At least till it was time to hang the game. My deer/antelope/elk or whatever we just as big as anyone else's, so it obviously didn't hurt to use something "too big." As a matter of fact, I was pretty poor at the time and it was the only gun I owned. I'd use it today if I went back down there for a hunt, simply for old time sake.

Vanguards are fine, delivering appropriate features and service for their price range. Good warranty and service, too.

If you like it, buy it.

king, if you want a 338WM for up here buy it and use it, if its not something you want to take back to Texas then sell it, theres a decent demand for 338WM's up here and you wont have too much trouble selling it. Is the 338 too much gun for Texas whitetails, well yeah kind of, I mean its up to you. You live there and are from there thats a decision you have to make in your experience. Heck I knew a lot of guys that used 22-250's for west Texas whitetails they aint very big. A 270 Win always did a great job on Texas Whitetails for me but whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofbattle1985 View Post
    Just wanted some opinions on the .338 win. mag. What game would you use it on? Im from Texas(the greatest country in America,thats right i said'country') and am stationed in Alaska for the next 3 years, and i know its a pretty good rifle for here but would it be good for Texas game? Also, what do yall think about Weatherby Vanguard rifles? I just got one in 338 win mag havnt shot it yet. Can't wait to though!!!! Opinions please!

Thanx,
    The King
    King,
    Welcome to Alaska and if you are coming up as part of our Armed Services, THANK YOU for your sacrafices and service to our great country! The 338 WM will provide you with great service here in Alaska. I've used one for about 20 years now (along with many other fine cartridges) and think the 338 WM is the "30-06 for Alaska". Can't get much higher praise for a cartridge than that, in my opinion. I still believe Winchester should have named it the 338 Alaskan Express!

By the way, if you split Alaska in half and made two states out of it, Texas would be the third largest state! Just some good natured ribbing, of course!

I too am from Texas and have hunted deer and hogs in various areas of the Lone Star State. Far West Texas, Central Texas (Hill Country) and Northern Panhandle.

For far West Texas Mulies a 338 wouldn't be a bad choice. They are big and thick bodied and will run forever if you miss the vitals. A bit more power could feasibly put them down a bit easier.

For pretty much any Whitetail in Texas I personally think a 338WM is too much gun. You'll blow away most of the meat on the front end of one of those little Whitetails. A 270 is plenty of gun for whitetails in Texas.

Hogs are a different story. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 338WM on any hog because they are TOUGH. I have seen hogs run completely off (no finding them) from an apparently good vital shot (looked good) after being shot with a 300WM, 30-06 and 25-06. I have also seen them dropped where they stood with one shot from the same guns.

So my advice....buy the gun and enjoy it. Take it back with you and use it in Texas too.

Texas Tech will crush Minnesota in the Insight Bowl! If you know where TTU is, you know where I am from as well. Home is now and will be in North Pole when I retire from the military in 07 or 08...I had enough of Tornados, sand storms, hail and heat! Enjoy Alaska while you are here...you cant do this stuff down there!

Don't worry too much about them bashing our state here...they're having fun and are jealous that you can buy things (anything) in Texas for cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Easy guys. He's just proud of where he's from and had a few questions.

Don't they have hogs in Texas? I understand they are pretty tough. ...".
    Ya they do, about a week or so ago, one ran into the side of my oldest daughters car and then chased her down Ransom road in Richmond. ( a suburb of Houston) Holy crickey

Oh ya, welcome to Alaska King.

Talking Hogs!!!

Yeah we have a lot of hogs and thier pretty big to, some wieghing more than the most of the deer, but we also have nilgai, you guys from up here proly never heard of'em but their as big as a horse! So I guess if i use my new 338 win mag. on those two species at least when i get back home, and don't worry about all the ribbing, iv'e got a great since of humor! Us Texans tend to have good since of humor! Alaska is a very beautiful state,and i have enjoyed it since i got here, even the winter isn't as bad as i thought it would be! Can't wait till next hunting season!

Thanx all,
    The King

If you can shoot it accurately, donít worry about it being to big for Texas game. You can truly hunt anywhere in North America with that gun if you can hit with it. Practice, practice, practice, thatís all it takes.