Thread: fleas on a fox

Default fleas on a fox

My son just brought home his first fox. Very nice red w/ black feet and ear tips. Very dark red color. Problem is he brought home fleas. He left the fox out over night to skin today. It was cold enough the legs froze a little, and the fox cooled down pretty well.
    When he brought it in the garage, he found some small bugs and called me. I took a look at one in the magnifying glass, and it disappeared. I mean it jumped clean out of sight. CRAPOLA!!! Now keep in mind the garage is only 35 degrees or so, and the little pests just started marching off the fox. We saw 3 in just a few seconds, and it was only about 2 more before the fox went flying out the door.
    So I took all the dog rugs out of the garage immediately and shook them really good and laid them outside. Then I opened the garage doors to cool the place even more so the vermin could not do their ninja jumping stuff. I grabbed PIC and started burning a bunch while my boy looked for some Raid or something. We finally found a can of something that professes to kill bugs just fine. I sprayed the garage liberally, then he took a bag outside to put the fox in and sprayed in the bag as well.
    Is there one spray that works better than others? Anything else you would do to be sure things were cleaned up and the dogs could not get infected? Which by the way would thoroughly raise the dander on my wife because she likes the one to sleep with us.
    Thanks for the help.
    ARR

Hey ARR,

We always freeze our critters before they ever come into the shed to avoid this "problem". Once frozen for a few days they are allowed to thaw enough to skin them. This usually kills anything crawling around.

I hope you caught it quick enough, I'd hate to have to loan you our dog house.....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I just use raid that is on clearance in the fall and abig plastic bag. I put them in the bag give it a shot of raid and let it sit for a couple hours. It has worked for lynx and fox. Fleas are not that much fun. I have let them freeze before, but it hate to thaw them out for two days. I like to skin them asap and get it done with.

River rat was the fox blue??

Nope, red as described.
    The boy does not have much time as he heads back to UAA on Sunday, so can't leave the fox frozen around here. Also, as warm as its been, I was afraid if he left it the stomach would stay thawed too long and the hair might slip.
    Pretty much you folks are saying what I thought I knew about the fur. Sure hope I caught it in the garage though. I just went back out, re-sprayed it, and lit a few more Pics. I even vacuumed a little bit again, then sprayed the vacuum hose.
    For those bugs to be that active at 35 degrees or so after being outside below freezing is pretty darn amazing. They went from dormant to moving, and the one which jumped, in a matter of a few minutes. Imagine what they would have been doing if the garage was 65 or so.

River rat when I asked if it was blue I meant the hide. Some times when it is early in the season you will see a blueish tint and not a white leather on the pelt

Default Raid and a bag

Need to stick it in a big plastic bag and spray some Raid or other bug killer in there and let it sit for 2 to 3 hours as stated before. Even if they freeze solid, in the middle of winter at 40 below, I have had those things come to life again on dead critters when they come inside to the warm air. Not sure if it is eggs, or they just hibernate on the critter until it warms up, but the cold won't kill them for some reason.

Might be a good time to just get a bug fogger and do the garage (It is in a can. You just set it off and leave it spraying stuff in the air. If you have never seen it before). Take out all live critters and fog the garage like they use for cockroach's down south. Might also be good to get the family out of the house for a few hours or seal up anything that might leak into the house. That stuff can be nasty.

Good luck. Those little critters aren't fun.

-TJ

The fox went back in a bag w/ a bunch of bug spray, and outside to freeze. He'll take it back to Anchor town to skin it. I'll tell him to take a look at the hide.
    The bug fogger is a good idea. Had forgot about them. We used to use them when packing household goods if we found infestation. We would load the household goods into crates, and just hang the door. Once everything was loaded, we'd set a bomb inside, pull the pin, and quickly close the door. The crates would have so much spray that the smoke would come out any crack or gap. Looked pretty interesting driving down the road that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    My son just brought home his first fox. Very nice red w/ black feet and ear tips. Very dark red color. Problem is he brought home fleas. He left the fox out over night to skin today. It was cold enough the legs froze a little, and the fox cooled down pretty well.
    When he brought it in the garage, he found some small bugs and called me. I took a look at one in the magnifying glass, and it disappeared. I mean it jumped clean out of sight. CRAPOLA!!! Now keep in mind the garage is only 35 degrees or so, and the little pests just started marching off the fox. We saw 3 in just a few seconds, and it was only about 2 more before the fox went flying out the door.
    So I took all the dog rugs out of the garage immediately and shook them really good and laid them outside. Then I opened the garage doors to cool the place even more so the vermin could not do their ninja jumping stuff. I grabbed PIC and started burning a bunch while my boy looked for some Raid or something. We finally found a can of something that professes to kill bugs just fine. I sprayed the garage liberally, then he took a bag outside to put the fox in and sprayed in the bag as well.
    Is there one spray that works better than others? Anything else you would do to be sure things were cleaned up and the dogs could not get infected? Which by the way would thoroughly raise the dander on my wife because she likes the one to sleep with us.
    Thanks for the help.
    ARR

Just a thought, did he bring it home inside a vehicle? You might have some fogging to do there also.

Default back of the truck

And not my truck. Maybe they should hose it out good anyway. I am still nervous about letting the dogs in the garage. I figure I'll bomb it, freeze it, maybe even burn it down. Sure could use another garage.
    Insurance man in interview, "So tell me, how did the garage burn?"
    Me the smart owner, "fleas did it."
    INS man, "How did fleas start a fire?"
    Mr. Smarty pants, "They infested the place, now pay up."
    Why is it every time I itch I think I have fleas?
    I can still see that little bugger under the magnifying glass just before he jumped. I swear he was grinning.

Default fleas

I have left lynx frozen outside at -50 for over a month and the fleas come back to life after bringing back in. I put them inside garbage bags, spray with raid and leave over night. You may still have fleas come out, but they are usually pretty lethargic. I know people that sprinkle buhac on the fur and leave in a bag and it kills them. Those fleas are hardy creatures! They leave big welts when they bite you and they itch like hell and last for a week or so! Something I don't like dealing with, so make sure they are dead before I skin!

Default Fox fleas

Fox fleas are host specific.
    Won't stay on your dog.

Default dumb question coming

So is a fox flea the only thing I'd find on a fox in Interior AK? What about a lynx. Again, flea specific? And wolves? etc? I have not googled the mighty flea, but first instinct is that a canine, wild or not, would be a pretty similar host. And what about people? Do they bite once, then jump off to die and go to flea heaven?
    Just a bit ago my female lab was itching. Since the flea episode, every time she scratches I worry. Then I itch, and worry. Mama is about ready to kick us all out of bed. But then my old Mr. Man doesn't seem to itch at all so figure we are all good.

Default the year of the flea

It continues. The boys shot a lynx. Nice job. Lynx had fleas. Into the bag it went and got sprayed with tick spray. Nice job.
    Tonight is skinning night. Out comes the lynx, it gets thawed enough to handle, and the boys said the fleas started moving.
    WTH? So I know what Buhac is. We used to use it when I was a boy. But what make, model, specific type of sprays do you use to kill fleas and itty bitty crawly stuff on your animals?
    I'll pass this on to the mighty fur hunters.

Ak River Rat,

Raid works well, as does Flea Powder. Some stores carry a Raid specific to fleas. I hang my lynx from my gambrel and pull an large garbage bag up over it, spray a generous amount of Raid into the bag and tie it off at the top. Wait a couple of hours, and skin. There are always a few fleas still alive, but their a little punch drunk. Last year a friend recommended the Flea Powder so I tried it out. With the powder I applied it to the cat in a bag and let it sit over night while it thawed. No fleas survived that.

I've also had the same experience as Northway, freezing lynx for a few weeks only to find live fleas when thawing it out. I hope this helps.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Default Dumb me

Never thought about flea powder. DUH! I'd think the Buhac and Flea Powder would work well.
    He just called and said, after all that, a mosquito came climbing out of the fur. I can't believe anything can survive all the freeze/thaw/freeze and the Raid in a bag, but they sure did.

Another question. Do fleas lay eggs in the hair of the animal? If you use powders or spray, does that kill the eggs? Or do you need to sprinkle the hide with powder once you've skinned the animal and put the hide on the stretcher?

I never had an instance where the fleas laid eggs, or at least where I was aware that they laid eggs. Not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it. I do know that they are tough little buggers.

I've also never applied more Raid or powder once the hide is on the board. Maybe a shot here or there while I'm skinning but that's it.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

I've never sprayed my lynx with anything I just keep them outside for about a week and that seems to do the trick. I've never seen a live flea come off one of my lynx after it's been outside a week. I did ask a veterinarian about my cats and dog getting fleas because they are outside alot and in my garage where I skin. She basically said the same thing as rugersbro that they are pretty much host specific and for some reason don't like to live on domestic dogs and cats.