Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My .375 Ruger can shoot!!!!

Default My .375 Ruger can shoot!!!!

.....even if I can't!!!!! 4 shot groups are the bane of my existance!!!!!! I was working up loads today for my new M77 African for 300 grain TSX. 70 grains of RL 15 was the winner!!!! All I can say is the gun can shoot even if I can't!!! Shot 1, 2, and 4 where outstanding, but the pressure was too much on 3. Oh well.

.403" 3 shot group 2.5" 4 shot group

Brett

hi brett; i've had the same problem........going for a super group and pull one! it's clear though that your group and shooting form is very good. i would use the results as good preliminary data.

windage dispersion usually means a trigger issue and can be improved with some trigger work. the NEW ruger trigger is an improvement, bit still not satisfactory. a "trigger job" is a good investment in GOOD SHOOTING....
    happy trails.
    jh

Don't believe you will be useing it on anything with a heart smaller than that.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    windage dispersion usually means a trigger issue and can be improved with some trigger work. the NEW ruger trigger is an improvement, bit still not satisfactory. a "trigger job" is a good investment in GOOD SHOOTING....
    The new ruger triggers may be an improvement, but they still suck!!!! I had Stan Jackson do a trigger job and replace the crappy red recoil pad before I even shot it. That unfortunately/or fortunately means I just have me to blame!!!! 4 shot groups. The bane of my existance!!!!

Brett

Nice. Plan on taking that rifle bear hunting?

Looks like you have a great load there can't wait to see what you test it on come spring time!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nice. Plan on taking that rifle bear hunting?
    I'm trying to line up a nice bear down Cold Bay way this spring. We'll see. Hopefully a lion, leopard, and a few cape buffalo in Tanzania in 4-5 years. We'll see.

Brett

Dang... looks like you've got one heck of a shooter there. What's the MV on those 300gr whoppers with that load?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Dang... looks like you've got one heck of a shooter there. What's the MV on those 300gr whoppers with that load?
    Barnes manual says 2580fps. I loaded 2 70gr so I can chroni them tomorrow. We'll see. I also loaded 4 70.5gr and 4 71gr to see how they shoot. I'll likely shoot up to 72gr or so pressure willing. I'm looking for something reasonably accurate between 2550-2600fps. If the 70gr loads are shooting 2500ish I'll probably try to pump up the volume. I know that 300 grain TSX stop nicely under the skin of the off shoulder of cape buffalo at 2590 muzzle velocity, so I don't really want to exceed 2600ish. I'll probably work up practice loads with my Hornady 300gr Interlocks later next week. They're a little cheaper than practicing with the TSX!!!!

Brett

Range close in observance of Alaska day. Drats!!! Foiled again!!!!

Brett

PICTURE OF THE GUN???

I've just about been talked out of the guide gun for my first Alaska gun. Reseaching other cal's now... love this thread!

What guide gun?

As per request:

Ruger M77 African in .375 Ruger. After market Pachmayr recoil pad and trigger job. Pictured with my trusty bear hunting sandals!!!!

Topped with Warne QD rings and a Leupold European 2-7x32. I bought the scope through employee pricing with Barney's and they put my name on it for free (Dr. Brett A. Barringer). Kind of cool.

Here's the "dummy rounds" for my loads. (L-R) 300 grain Barnes Banded Solids (eleph, buff, ect), 300 grain Hornady SPBT Interlocks (target), and 300 grain Barnes TSX (all around hunting load).

Brett

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

What did the OTHER groups tell ya?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That is one PURDY rifle! The sandlas - not so much...

Brett,

That looks like a nice three shot group. Was the fourth shot a "called flyer?" If not, I have had guns that group like this when the barrel gets hot. On guns that have groups that change with barrel heat, sometimes waiting 5 to 10 minutes between shots will dramatically improve the group.

How does the recoil of the ruger compare to you 375 H&H?

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What did the OTHER groups tell ya?

Smitty of the North
    Bellow 70 grains I had verticle strings. I'm still waiting to chroni the 70 grain loads and see how above 70 grains shoots. I have 70.5 and 71 loaded up and ready to shoot. I may go up to 71.5 and 72 depending on the velocity of the 70 grain loads and how 70.5 and 71 shoot. We'll see.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Brett,

That looks like a nice three shot group. Was the fourth shot a "called flyer?" If not, I have had guns that group like this when the barrel gets hot. On guns that have groups that change with barrel heat, sometimes waiting 5 to 10 minutes between shots will dramatically improve the group.

How does the recoil of the ruger compare to you 375 H&H?

Sean
    I waited for the barrel to cool between shots. I always do when working up loads. Unfortunately I'm affraid that I just suck at 4 shot groups.

The recoil is more, but that's expected. The gun weighs less, doesn't have a muzzle brake, and has higher chamber pressure at the same velocities than my old H&H. Since I'm still waiting for brass I had to buy ammo and shoot it out to reload. That was before I had the scope, so the recoil from the 7.75lbs. .375 Ruger was substancial. Not intollerable, but much more than my old H&H.

Brett

Wow did it shoot today!!!!!!! Unfortunately it is a little slow for my taste I still have some more work to do. The 71gr load is at 2475fps. The 73gr is at 2515fps. I have 73.5gr and 74gr loaded up, so hopefully I'll have time to try them this coming week. The groups are opening up as I up the velocity, so unless they come back down I'll have a decission to make.

Brett

Default Back down to 3 shots

The standard for comparing groups is 3 shots. I don't know where you got the idea that 4 is the norm. All rifles from .24 caliber on up are compared with 3 shot groups in gun magazines and other media.
    However, 22 caliber comparisons for the likes of the .204 Ruger, .222, .223, 22-250 are five (5) shot groups.
    So, lessen the stress and shoot 3!

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    The standard for comparing groups is 3 shots. I don't know where you got the idea that 4 is the norm. All rifles from .24 caliber on up are compared with 3 shot groups in gun magazines and other media.
    However, 22 caliber comparisons for the likes of the .204 Ruger, .222, .223, 22-250 are five (5) shot groups.
    So, lessen the stress and shoot 3!
    What does caliber have to do with the number of shots used to compare groups? I've always read and believed that the more shots in a group the more accurate the representation of the rifle's abilities. I also thought 5 was considered to be the number at which more shots did not make a significant statistical difference.

I've seen several people shoot a pretty tight three shot group but go to 5 and the groups really start to open up. Am I wrong here?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast