Thread: Juneau Hunting Restrictions Map

Default Juneau Hunting Restrictions Map

So I made this map for the Juneau area for my GIS class check it out let me know what you think and how it could be better

http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jsppm2/project.jpg
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Good Job!

Your maps/text look great, Thanks for your effort's!

Where's a good source for the aerial photograghs (Juneau Area).

Powder Monkey,

All in all, great work, and a good resource.

Couple of little suggestions: A key to your color codes would be a help.
    Also, the assembly closed the ridge above the Mt. Roberts Tram to bird/small game hunting during the early fall. I don't think I saw that reflected there.

For extra credit points, do you feel like mapping the "zone" in the wetlands that requires the extra-special permit?

Oh, and I think your intro text should read "several maps" instead of "sever maps." Just a thought before you hand it in...

I once had a Trooper ask somebody for a map the guy said he'd done of areas on Dredge Lakes that were the requisite distance from roads to be legal. The Troop said he got complaints from homeowners about hunters out there every season. You might seriously consider taking this by the Juneau Trooper post for their use and reference. Good data can be invaluable to those guys, who have a tough job to do and genuinely do their best.

Thanks didn't know about the tram closure just the trail closure, USFS got their S together and put out a hunting area map which is now posted on the sign boards at the front of everything, good call for the super extra permit zone

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly1 View Post
    Where's a good source for the aerial photograghs (Juneau Area).
    My GIS class

I really wish I could do these for other areas like unit 14c or the kink area or anywhere where land ownership is an issue but alas the google earth to arcMap converstion is sketchy at best and then I have no idea where to find info on who owns what.

AK Powder Monkey

I have most of that information if you would care for it. I am the GIS admin/tech. Land Ownership is my specialty. Did work recently for the Natural Gas Pipeline etc. Tell me what you are looking for. I either have it, or can point you in the right dir.

I always thought about making a website for hunting maps and current land owners and land owner/hunting issues, just havent gotten around to it.

check your pms

Default map data

Powder monkey,
    You should check out this extension for converting shape files to google earth KML files: http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=14273
    I use it quite a bit.

"I really wish I could do these for other areas like unit 14c or the kink area or anywhere where land ownership is an issue but alas the google earth to arcMap converstion is sketchy at best and then I have no idea where to find info on who owns what."
    ...The DNR has land ownership on this site: http://mapper.landrecords.info/ and you can even download GIS data from it.

Hope that helps.

no problem putting shapefiles onto google earth I want to take google earth photos and put them as backgrounds in arcMap
    thanks for the second link I've been looking for that quite a while

Quote Originally Posted by adfraiser View Post
    I always thought about making a website for hunting maps and current land owners and land owner/hunting issues, just havent gotten around to it.

Please do this! There is a lot of confusion in these areas, especially with park boundries and native lands. A website with good maps would be a great resource for many different Alaskan usergroups.

I am not a pro website designer, but I can do basic stuff and help you with marketing and search engine listing. I'd be more than willing to help where I can.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

First off, I do not mean to hijack ak_powder monkeys thread.

I have been thinking about this for some time, and have provided a few maps for other members of the forum. They were basic maps without much effort involved.

The complication derives from a lack of quality data. Most of the state is unorganized boroughs, with limited State or federal mapping. The Boroughs that do have data, is not always great. To provide a map, like google earth, is not only expensive, due to software licensing, but also years away because statewide land ownership data, beyond the sectional level, is mostly unavailable.

That being said, for most of the Boroughs, premade maps could be provided, with minor alterations available, but they are a time consuming task. Rural Alaska could be done on a request for map basis, but they are ALOT of work.

Let me pose these questions to the forum? First, I would like feedback on what you would like on the maps. Would you prefer USGS or Aerial photography for the maps? What kind of features, roads, parks, etc?

This is an expensive and time consuming undertaking, would you be willing to pay for mapping? Would you prefer a pay for map or monthly subscription? I am not looking to make a fortune off maps, but if I put a few hundred hours into this, and bear the cost of hosting a website, I would like some kind of compensation. As much as I enjoy helping out the hunting community, I woould rather be hnting than drawing maps.

Please give me your honest feedback, and maybe I can move this forward a bit with your help.

I'd be down for doing basic work like you see above. I personally like aerial photos as the USGS maps aren't updated at all.

Default PM for you

adfraiser & ak_powder_monkey,

Sent you both a PM.