Thread: The big freeze has occured....

Unhappy The big freeze has occured....

Just got back from scouting for tomorrow mornings hunt and I can't believe how much water has froze. Even big water has all but froze up with the exception of some edges. This may be the last weekend of open/free water with temps expected to keep dropping. On the other hand, there's limited areas for birds to drop into now. So we'll see what happens come tomorrow. Ever the optimist.... Looks like I may be traveling south here soon to get my fowl fix.

Default yup

also went out today saw a few birds but they again where all together about 30. wish i had time to go set some decoys but with PCS to Alabama on Nov 1st looks like my hunting is dun for till i get south. good luck and let us know how you did.

Default Mat river sloughs(sp?)

Stopped today to show m son a spot on the Mat river where salmon spawn. It's a little slough (sp?) where a few salmon always end up spawning and dying along the Glenn Hwy. When we got out of the truck at the pull out and walked over to the edge we flushed about 20 ducks. Made me wish I had some steel shot in my gun that was in the truck and I guess it would have been nice to also have my stamps.

Broke ice this morning in the Fairbanks area but did manage one Mallard drake before I had to leave. Not full plummage but none the less had a green head.

Sapper 2-6

Post Slim pickin's

I set a small spread up this morning in what was left open of some big water. Hunted until about 10am or so and only saw two birds (Mergansers). It was nice seeing something and having them swing around committed and drop right into the dekes was beautiful, just not the tablefare I'm looking for. Gave jumpshooting a try until about 1 pm but again, water was mostly froze and no birds. Will give it another go in the morning, maybe even break a bit of ice and see what happens.

hunted swan and leaf lake this morning, went to swan first but my spot was taken so i went to leaf and set up, was a bit late but saw quite a few birds flying, just not into our deks. Quite a bit of ice all around the edge of both lakes, some looked about half inch thick, may try hunting jim creek next time out. season has lasted later then usual so far, should be happy for that, but i still want more. have never done any hunting in the area after the lakes freeze up, do the creeks stay open long enough to exend the season much, i know it is usually not long til the knick become jammed with ice, then we will be though. Bud

Thumbs down hayflats

hayflats were very bleak this morning. Except for opening day, I've never seen that many hunters. Definitely never saw that few birds and that little shooting. Hard to believe it was that bad.

Default Big flock of geese went over house yesterday - South they go.

Got to finish my home work before I can stop a bird. Man - work is always getting in my way.
    That would have not happen in my younger days.
    Maybe the answer is making hunting my work.
    Make the most of every situation you find your self in.

Ducks were moving on the Penninsula on Friday but the fog limited visibilty to <50 ft. I don't think the birds could see the deeks. The ones that did come in came in fast and low under the radar. We would't see them until they splashed into the water. Flipped open the blind and the birds would not take off back into the fog. Not until almost 11AM before visibility improved to work the high fliers. Turned out to be a good day with limit of mallards and widgeons.

Default Camped out Fri night...

& went out that same night to scout, we scared up some swans & geese...

Went out next morning, nothing but ducks...Lots of green heads, teal, & goldeneyes...saw some swans far out, but not many...