Thread: newbie

Default newbie

Hello everyone,

I am very new to trapping, and am asking for some advice. I live on the kenai, and would like to get into trapping. I have very limited trapping experience, but I have spent a lot of time afield doing other activities.
    Now for the questions.
    What would be the best animal to target for a newbie?
    What are the best types of traps? I was considering making a bunch of snares due to thier low cost.
    Is one type of snare better than another?
    Is it worth getting out early, or should I wait for good snow cover and look for tracks?
    What general areas on the peninsula are more productive? (not looking for directions to your trapline, just general areas)

Much thanks to anyone taking the time to read this post and respond. Oh and if someone would actually like to take a young newbie along for the ride, I would be thrilled to do whatever I could to help.

Thanks again
    Brian

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default BeginningTrappers class end of October

Brian,

Last week I posted a thank you to the organizers of the begining trappers course being held in the end of October in Chugiak. The post is listed about 17 posted below yours in the Alaska Trapping and Predator Hunting forum. The POC information is there.

I can not attend due to my current location, but my 12 year old son is attending with a friend of mine their in Anchorage.

I would expect many of your questions to be answered during a class such as this. It is a day class. You may want to consider attending. If you do, please send me a response and let me know how well you liked it.

Ralph

Supporting Member

Default New to trapping

Brian,
    Contact Mike Crawford, President of the Kenai Chapter of the Alaska Trappers Association at 907-252-2919. They just happen to be having a "Rendevous" of sorts today and it would be a great opportunity to meet trappers and talk trapping "How To". Mike's e-mail is creditcardmike@yahoo.com, just in case you can't make it out today.
    Rick

There is nothing wrong with snares. You can catch anything from marten, beaver, mink, wolfs everything. Now there is a learning curve, but once you get good at it, it is great. I know that at first I didn't use them, because I thought they where harder. I was wrong. You can make 12 dozen for cheap and you can carry the whole 12 dozen in a pack if needed. Now you will have to make different size for each animal. I know that i got half of my animals last year with snares. They don't freeze up and they are easy to adjust. Any questions Pm me. I do use foot hold also, but snares are my bread and butter.

Default thanks

for all of the responses to my questions. I did read about the class taking place, but due to work I am unable to attend. I have ordered a couple of books, and am getting ready to purchase some traps. I figure this year may just be one big learning curve, but it should be interesting if I can make anything work.
    Thanks again, I need all the help I can get

Brian